FoodBanter.com

-   Historic (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/)
-   -   Grade School Cafeteria Recipes (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/419323-re-grade-school-cafeteria.html)

Sqwertz 13-08-2012 09:24 PM

Grade School Cafeteria Recipes

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:41:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:13:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>Yes folks, now you can have those same delicious school lunches from
>>your repressed childhood right in the secrecy of your own home!
>>
>>USDA Recipes for Schools - Alphabetical by Recipe Name
>>
>>http://www.nfsmi.org/Templates/Templ...Zpc01ncj10cnVl

> Way too recent- "updated recipes from the 1988 Quantity Recipes for
> School Food Service and the 1995 Tool Kit for Healthy School Meals "

Ah, yes - but that is a recent edition of "Program Aid #631 - Quantity
Recipes for Type A School Lunches, 1971", which is revised from 1953.

> Got one from the 50-60's?

<clickety click> Here you go. From February 1953. You can download
it as a PDF under the gear icon top right. The 1971 version is
unavailable digitally (that would have been more my era)

<http://books.google.com/books?id=eWcvAAAAYAAJ&ots=f6ZcWdt40q&dq=subject%3A %22National%20school%20lunch%20program%22&pg=PP1#v =onepage&q&f=false>

Contains great hits such as:

Cheese Meatloaf
Ham and Bean Scallop
Liver Sausage Loaf (3/5ths beef liver, 2/5ths sausage)
Sausage Shortcake (calls for 1.5lbs of "Fat")
Scrambled eggs and cheese (that needs a recipe?)
Pork Apple Salad (a molded Jello salad without the Jello)
Date and Peanut Butter Pudding
Honey Date Cookies
Orange Coconut Custard w/Cottage Cheese

That is the complete list of recipes. Three were discarded from the
publication because they didn't pass "field tests" (that was 1/4th of
the recipes!).

(crossposting to rec.food.historic)

-sw

Jim Elbrecht 13-08-2012 10:46 PM

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:41:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

>> Got one from the 50-60's?

><clickety click> Here you go. From February 1953. You can download
>it as a PDF under the gear icon top right. The 1971 version is
>unavailable digitally (that would have been more my era)
>
><http://books.google.com/books?id=eWcvAAAAYAAJ&ots=f6ZcWdt40q&dq=subject%3A %22National%20school%20lunch%20program%22&pg=PP1#v =onepage&q&f=false>

I bow to your superior Google foo-- I've wandered around off and on
today, but got nothing.

>Contains great hits such as:
>
>Cheese Meatloaf
>Ham and Bean Scallop
>Liver Sausage Loaf (3/5ths beef liver, 2/5ths sausage)
>Sausage Shortcake (calls for 1.5lbs of "Fat")
>Scrambled eggs and cheese (that needs a recipe?)
>Pork Apple Salad (a molded Jello salad without the Jello)
>Date and Peanut Butter Pudding
>Honey Date Cookies
>Orange Coconut Custard w/Cottage Cheese

None of those ring a bell-- but it would be 2 more years before I got
my first school lunch.

>That is the complete list of recipes. Three were discarded from the
>publication because they didn't pass "field tests" (that was 1/4th of
>the recipes!).

Wow-- I remember there being 20 recipes- and that they repeated them
throughout the year, so you'd get the menu in Sept- with the starting
dates for the repeats. Snow days threw it off, so you'd make a note
on the mimeograph--

My wife doesn't remember that at her school-- but she did remember the
accommodation for the Catholics-- meatless Fridays. I can only
remember 3 of the 4 we got through elementary school- Mac & cheese,
Pizza, Peanut butter sandwiches [no jelly- dry bread- could almost
make you not like peanut butter sandwiches.]-- Oh yeah-- and fish
sticks. I remember the tartar sauce was good.

Jim

jmcquown[_2_] 16-08-2012 12:18 AM

On 8/13/2012 5:46 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:41:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>

> -snip-
>>
>>> Got one from the 50-60's?

>> <clickety click> Here you go. From February 1953. You can download
>> it as a PDF under the gear icon top right. The 1971 version is
>> unavailable digitally (that would have been more my era)
>>
>> <http://books.google.com/books?id=eWcvAAAAYAAJ&ots=f6ZcWdt40q&dq=subject%3A %22National%20school%20lunch%20program%22&pg=PP1#v =onepage&q&f=false>

> I bow to your superior Google foo-- I've wandered around off and on
> today, but got nothing.
>>
>> Contains great hits such as:
>>
>> Cheese Meatloaf
>> Ham and Bean Scallop
>> Liver Sausage Loaf (3/5ths beef liver, 2/5ths sausage)
>> Sausage Shortcake (calls for 1.5lbs of "Fat")
>> Scrambled eggs and cheese (that needs a recipe?)
>> Pork Apple Salad (a molded Jello salad without the Jello)
>> Date and Peanut Butter Pudding
>> Honey Date Cookies
>> Orange Coconut Custard w/Cottage Cheese

> None of those ring a bell-- but it would be 2 more years before I got
> my first school lunch.
>

>> That is the complete list of recipes. Three were discarded from the
>> publication because they didn't pass "field tests" (that was 1/4th of
>> the recipes!).

> Wow-- I remember there being 20 recipes- and that they repeated them
> throughout the year, so you'd get the menu in Sept- with the starting
> dates for the repeats. Snow days threw it off, so you'd make a note
> on the mimeograph--
>
> My wife doesn't remember that at her school-- but she did remember the
> accommodation for the Catholics-- meatless Fridays. I can only
> remember 3 of the 4 we got through elementary school- Mac & cheese,
> Pizza, Peanut butter sandwiches [no jelly- dry bread- could almost
> make you not like peanut butter sandwiches.]-- Oh yeah-- and fish
> sticks. I remember the tartar sauce was good.
>
> Jim

When I was in the 2nd grade I begged my mom for lunch money because they
were going to serve tacos. She warned me! She said I wouldn't like
them. She was right. They put shredded lettuce on them (I hate
lettuce, even to this day). When I wouldn't eat them the teacher who
was monitoring the cafeteria wouldn't let me go back to class because I
refused to eat. I wound up in the principal's office. She called my
mother, who told her not to worry about it, she knew I wouldn't eat it.
Mom just wanted me to figure out they don't let 7 year old kids
"custom order" food in the school cafeteria :)

In high school I didn't eat cafeteria food. I do remember getting a
slice of cardboard-like cheese pizza once. Only once.

Jill

Jean B.[_1_] 28-08-2012 05:02 AM

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:41:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:13:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes folks, now you can have those same delicious school lunches from
>>> your repressed childhood right in the secrecy of your own home!
>>>
>>> USDA Recipes for Schools - Alphabetical by Recipe Name
>>>
>>> http://www.nfsmi.org/Templates/Templ...Zpc01ncj10cnVl

>> Way too recent- "updated recipes from the 1988 Quantity Recipes for
>> School Food Service and the 1995 Tool Kit for Healthy School Meals "

> Ah, yes - but that is a recent edition of "Program Aid #631 - Quantity
> Recipes for Type A School Lunches, 1971", which is revised from 1953.
>
>> Got one from the 50-60's?

> <clickety click> Here you go. From February 1953. You can download
> it as a PDF under the gear icon top right. The 1971 version is
> unavailable digitally (that would have been more my era)
>
> <http://books.google.com/books?id=eWcvAAAAYAAJ&ots=f6ZcWdt40q&dq=subject%3A %22National%20school%20lunch%20program%22&pg=PP1#v =onepage&q&f=false>
>
> Contains great hits such as:
>
> Cheese Meatloaf
> Ham and Bean Scallop
> Liver Sausage Loaf (3/5ths beef liver, 2/5ths sausage)
> Sausage Shortcake (calls for 1.5lbs of "Fat")
> Scrambled eggs and cheese (that needs a recipe?)
> Pork Apple Salad (a molded Jello salad without the Jello)
> Date and Peanut Butter Pudding
> Honey Date Cookies
> Orange Coconut Custard w/Cottage Cheese
>
> That is the complete list of recipes. Three were discarded from the
> publication because they didn't pass "field tests" (that was 1/4th of
> the recipes!).
>
> (crossposting to rec.food.historic)
>
> -sw

I don't remember any of that sh-t, er, food. But then I wasn't in
the hot lunch room very much.
--
Jean B.