FoodBanter.com

-   Historic (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/)
-   -   avoiding sassafras (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/415986-avoiding-sassafras.html)

Jean B.[_1_] 02-03-2012 03:14 AM

avoiding sassafras

I have been wanting to make root beer (or sarsaparilla, or birch
beer, or some similar thing), but I don't want to take a chance
with sassafras, which may be carcinogenic. Every recipe I have
seen for these things contains sassafras. Even sarsaparilla
extracts/essences usually turn out to be sassafras for some reason
that I don't comprehend. Does anyone here have a tried and true
recipe for making such a beverage (or for an extract to make one)
that doesn't contain sassafras? If so, I'd love to try it.

Thanks,
--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 04-03-2012 07:33 PM

avoiding sassafras

meh wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 22:14:57 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I have been wanting to make root beer (or sarsaparilla, or birch
>> beer, or some similar thing), but I don't want to take a chance
>> with sassafras, which may be carcinogenic. Every recipe I have
>> seen for these things contains sassafras. Even sarsaparilla
>> extracts/essences usually turn out to be sassafras for some reason
>> that I don't comprehend. Does anyone here have a tried and true
>> recipe for making such a beverage (or for an extract to make one)
>> that doesn't contain sassafras? If so, I'd love to try it.

> That's like asking how to make a steak without using meat.

Why? One would think sarsaparilla extract would at least contain
sarsaparilla. Ditto a drink called "sarsaparilla" must have
started out containing sarsaparilla. Most sarsaparilla extracts,
syrups, etc. don't contain any sarsaparilla and seem to be
sassafras-based. I actually have found ONE formula that avoids
sassafras, but I'd like to hear of something people have actually
made and liked.
--
Jean B.

Satishh45 27-03-2012 09:34 AM

Very best and very nice sharing it is
i ever enjoy this great work done too much

________________________
tempurpedic l sleep number l tempurpedic mattress

AlexzRoss 19-01-2015 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean B.[_1_] (Post 1719181)
I have been wanting to make root beer (or sarsaparilla, or birch
beer, or some similar thing), but I don't want to take a chance
with sassafras, which may be carcinogenic. Every recipe I have
seen for these things contains sassafras. Even sarsaparilla
extracts/essences usually turn out to be sassafras for some reason
that I don't comprehend. Does anyone here have a tried and true
recipe for making such a beverage (or for an extract to make one)
that doesn't contain sassafras? If so, I'd love to try it.

Thanks,
--
Jean B.

I didn't know if what's the taste of root beer yet. But I do love drinking wine especially the rice wine :)

Alex Ross
Easy Rest