Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Heinz 57 varieties (again)

Hello all (in case people are still here)!

I am compelled to post these things that may be lost in the sands
of time....

Heinz 57 Varieties

The following is from "The 57 Varieties: Heinz Pure Foods and
What They Are", which was found in a cookbook that was published
in 1884. While I have no idea how old the booklet is, it surely
predates the World’s Fair list that I have previously posted.
Note that I have subsequently discovered that Heinz made more than
57 products, but they only put 57 products on their lists at a
time. I will only comment on ingredients when I find them of
interest--and note that they are mentioned but there is no
definitive list of such. Also, unfortunately, the different sizes
offered are only given in terms of price. Please forgive the lack
of capital letters, but I will be typing with one hand.

1. baked beans w tomato sauce. they use white pea beans.
2. plain baked pork and beans.
3. vegetarian baked beans
4. baked red kidney beans. these beans, which i prefer, are seen
as "an agreeable change".
5. tomato soup
6. pea soup.
7. celery soup.
8. mince meat. in a jar.
9. plum pudding.
10. cooked sauer kraut with pork. in a can. "very popular for
Dutch Luncheons."
11. peanut butter
12. spaghetti (a l’Italienne)
13. fruit preserves. at this time, they produced cherry, red
raspberry, peach, damson plum, strawberry, pineapple, black
raspberry, blackberry, and mixed fruit preserves. they were
available in glass jars and stone crocks, with the latter being
cheaper.
14. fruit jellies. at this time, they produced currant, grape,
quince, crabapple and elderberry, all sold in glass tumblers.
15. apple butter. in cans or stone crocks.
16. peach butter.
17. plum butter
18. grapefruit marmalade.
19. euchred figs. i am not familiar with this term, so i will
add that the ripe figs are "preserved in a piquant sweet liquor
made with heinz malt vinegar, granulated sugar, and pure spices".
20. cranberry sauce.
21. preserved sweet gherkins.
22. preserved sweet mixed pickles.
23. sour gherkin pickles.
24. sour mixed pickles
25. chow chow pickle (with mustard).
26. dill pickles.
27. euchred pickle (mixed and gherkins). see no. 19 re
“euchred”. "the aristocrat of pickledom. a new and highly
seasoned sweet pickle of such delicious piquancy that it tempts
the most jaded appetites."
28. pickled onions (sweet and sour).
29. stuffed mangoes. "small melon mangoes cured and filled
finely chopped sweet pickle...".
30. pickled walnuts.
31. queen olives not clear whether these are green or black.
32. manzanilla olives. same comment.
33. stuffed olives. with pimiento.
34. pure olive oil.
35. tomato ketchup.
36. tomato chutney.
37. chili sauce.
38. tomato relish (oyster cocktail).
39. mushroom ketchup. in addition to mushrooms, this contained
walnut juice, anchovies, Heinz malt vinegar, spices, and seasonings.
40. walnut ketchup. the walnut juice was flavored with Heinz
malt vinegar, anchovies, vegetable juices, spices, and seasonings.
41. mustard ketchup. contained mustard, tomatoes, spices,
seasonings, and "fine old vinegar".
42. mustard dressing. mustard, fine old vinegar, and spices.
43. pepper sauce. cultivated small peppers steeped in heinz pure
white pickling vinegar.
44. mandalay sauce. "a stimulating, pungent table sauce,
prepared from the pulp and juices of fresh foreign and domestic
fruits and vegetables." supposed to have had “a distinctly
oriental flavor”.
45. gold medal sauce. like worcestershire sauce but with a
"milder, smoother flavor".
46. prepared mustard.
47. powdered mustard.
48. india relish. "an unequaled sweet pickle relish...
[p]repared from... aromatic vegetables and richly spiced."
49. east indian chutney. prepared and domestic fruits and
vegetables and "less hot and pungent than ordinary chutneys".
50. evaporated horseradish. granulated. supposed to be an
"always-ready relish" so maybe not dry? the bottle looks very
much like those that one finds prepared horseradish in.
51. sweet red peppers (spanish pimientos)
52. pure malt vinegar.
53. pure cider vinegar.
54. white pickling and table vinegar.
55. spiced salad vinegar. "A delicately spiced and flavored
sweet vinegar, especially desirable for use with salads containing
fruits or nuts."
56. dill vinegar.
57. tarragon vinegar.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:57:11 -0700, "Jean B." > wrote:

> [...]
>45. gold medal sauce. like worcestershire sauce but with a
>"milder, smoother flavor".
>46. prepared mustard.
>47. powdered mustard.
>48. india relish. "an unequaled sweet pickle relish...
>[p]repared from... aromatic vegetables and richly spiced."
>49. east indian chutney. prepared and domestic fruits and
>vegetables and "less hot and pungent than ordinary chutneys".
>50. evaporated horseradish. granulated. supposed to be an
>"always-ready relish" so maybe not dry? the bottle looks very
>much like those that one finds prepared horseradish in.
>51. sweet red peppers (spanish pimientos)
>52. pure malt vinegar.
>53. pure cider vinegar.
>54. white pickling and table vinegar.
>55. spiced salad vinegar. "A delicately spiced and flavored
>sweet vinegar, especially desirable for use with salads containing

From what little I've read (Cecil Adams, Straight Dope), whether or
not there wwere actually 57 distinct products is immaterial. Heinz
was very deeply into numerology and the numbers 5 and 7 were very
important to him.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:57:11 -0700, Jean B. wrote:

> 52. pure malt vinegar.
> 53. pure cider vinegar.
> 54. white pickling and table vinegar.
> 55. spiced salad vinegar. "A delicately spiced and flavored
> sweet vinegar, especially desirable for use with salads containing
> fruits or nuts."
> 56. dill vinegar.
> 57. tarragon vinegar.

I wonder if their pure malt and cider vinegars were really 100%
rather than 5%. They do differentiate them from pickling vinegar,
so they might really be 100%.

Pretty potent stuff, if so. The highest I've ever seen retail is
30%. Imagine all the packaging we could save in the "Age of Green"
if we went back to 100% vinegars (we'd have to use glass instead of
plastic, I'd bet ;-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Pure vinegar" is not the same thing as pure acetic acid. Vinegars
are labeled "5%" referring to their acetic acid content ...they can
still be pure vinegar (meaning not adulterated) without containing
lethal amounts of acetic acid.

On Dec 10, 11:54*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:57:11 -0700, Jean B. wrote:

> I wonder if their pure malt and cider vinegars were really 100%
> rather than 5%. *They do differentiate them from pickling vinegar,
> so they might really be 100%.
>
> Pretty potent stuff, if so. *The highest I've ever seen retail is
> 30%. *Imagine all the packaging we could save in the "Age of Green"
> if we went back to 100% vinegars (we'd have to use glass instead of
> plastic, I'd bet ;-)
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 20:09:35 -0800 (PST), Gary wrote:

> "Pure vinegar" is not the same thing as pure acetic acid. Vinegars
> are labeled "5%" referring to their acetic acid content ...they can
> still be pure vinegar (meaning not adulterated) without containing
> lethal amounts of acetic acid.

Hmm, OK. So what is the typical acetic acid content of a natural
vinegar?

White vinegar is distilled,so I assume they could theoretically get
it up to 95% VIA typical distillation processes. Then just water
it down to 5%. Are there other flavor compounds in white vinegar?

-sw

Posted to rec.food.historic

Wine and cider vinegars have naturally low acetic acid content because
they start out with a diluted alcohol content (the alcohol is
converted to acetic acid through bacterial fermentation). Rice wine
vinegar usually has slightly lower acid content (4%), giving it less
bite.

White vinegar is produced industrially, beginning with higher-proof
alcohol and can reach 14% acetic acid. It is then diluted to palatable
concentrations (you can read more about it at <answers.com/topic/
vinegar>).

Presumably, there could be some flavorings derived from the beechwood
shavings used in its production... but they would probably be lost in
distillation. The flavors in natural vinegars come from the original
source of the alcohol, or are added later by infusion -- either by
submerging herbs, etc., or by storage in wooden barrels of various
kinds (such as in balsamic vinegar).

Some glacial acetic acid (much stronger chemical used in industry and
as a fixative in B/W photography) is produced just like white vinegar,
then distilled to desired concentrations... though most is entirely
synthetic, and is derived from methyl alcohol and carbon monoxide (you
can read more about it at <en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid>).

On Dec 12, 12:56*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Hmm, OK. *So what is the typical acetic acid content of a natural
> vinegar?
>
> White vinegar is distilled,so I assume they could theoretically get
> it up to 95% VIA typical distillation processes. *Then just water
> it down to 5%. *Are there other flavor compounds in white vinegar?
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> [...]

>> 48. india relish. "an unequaled sweet pickle relish...
>> [p]repared from... aromatic vegetables and richly spiced."
>> 49. east indian chutney. prepared and domestic fruits and
>> vegetables and "less hot and pungent than ordinary chutneys".
>> 50. evaporated horseradish. granulated. supposed to be an
>> "always-ready relish" so maybe not dry? the bottle looks very
>> much like those that one finds prepared horseradish in.
>> 51. sweet red peppers (spanish pimientos)
>> 52. pure malt vinegar.
>> 53. pure cider vinegar.
>> 54. white pickling and table vinegar.
>> 55. spiced salad vinegar. "A delicately spiced and flavored
>> sweet vinegar, especially desirable for use with salads containing
>> fruits or nuts."
>> 56. dill vinegar.
>> 57. tarragon vinegar.
>>

> Too bad they don't still make most of those. I can think of many I

I am very curious about those "euchred" things too. Then there is
the Chow Chow, which I can't find. Sniff.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:57:11 -0700, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> 52. pure malt vinegar.
>> 53. pure cider vinegar.
>> 54. white pickling and table vinegar.
>> 55. spiced salad vinegar. "A delicately spiced and flavored
>> sweet vinegar, especially desirable for use with salads containing
>> fruits or nuts."
>> 56. dill vinegar.
>> 57. tarragon vinegar.

> I wonder if their pure malt and cider vinegars were really 100%
> rather than 5%. They do differentiate them from pickling vinegar,
> so they might really be 100%.
>
> Pretty potent stuff, if so. The highest I've ever seen retail is
> 30%. Imagine all the packaging we could save in the "Age of Green"
> if we went back to 100% vinegars (we'd have to use glass instead of
> plastic, I'd bet ;-)
>
> -sw

Interesting thought(s). Alas, I don't think there was any
elaboration about those products.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Euchred" is a curious word to be used in a food context. It was a
slang term in 19th c, meaning cheated or deceived, and is clearly
derived from the card game. Anyone know what it meant in terms of
pickles?

There's a good Chow Chow recipe in the 1975 edition of The Joy of
Cooking (many of such old-fashioned recipes were deleted from later
editions).

Gary

On Dec 13, 11:20*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> I am very curious about those "euchred" things too. *Then there is
> the Chow Chow, which I can't find. *Sniff.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.historic

Gary > writes:

>"Euchred" is a curious word to be used in a food context. It was a
>slang term in 19th c, meaning cheated or deceived, and is clearly
>derived from the card game. Anyone know what it meant in terms of
>pickles?

You've got the wrong end of the stick, metaphor-wise. OED says,
in relevant part, "To gain the advantage over (an adversary) by
his failure to take three tricks: see the n. Hence transf. to outwit,
'do', 'best'." I'm betting Heinz's copywriter was saying "Our
pickles can best any other pickles!"

Lee Rudolph

Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 13 Dec 2010 09:20:57a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sat 27 Nov 2010 11:57:11a, Jean B. told us...

>>> Too bad they don't still make most of those. I can think of many
>>> I would like.
>>>

>> I am very curious about those "euchred" things too. Then there is
>> the Chow Chow, which I can't find. Sniff.
>>

> It's not Heinz, but this is a great source for chow chow.
>
> http://www.armadillopepper.com/categ...?categoryId=12

Hmmm. They sure have a lot of varieties, but I didn't see the
kind that used to be prevalent (in the Boston area, anyway)--the
one with the pearl onions, cauliflower, etc. Remember that?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Gary wrote:
> "Euchred" is a curious word to be used in a food context. It was a
> slang term in 19th c, meaning cheated or deceived, and is clearly
> derived from the card game. Anyone know what it meant in terms of
> pickles?
>
> There's a good Chow Chow recipe in the 1975 edition of The Joy of
> Cooking (many of such old-fashioned recipes were deleted from later
> editions).
>
> Gary

Thanks. I have a number of editions of JoC--not the first
(self-published) one and not the hideous ones that preceded the
75th anniversary edition. I am sure I have the recipe, and it
looks like I'd better get over my fear of pickling etc.

Hmmm. Can I safely do a really small refrigerator batch?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." > writes:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> It's not Heinz, but this is a great source for chow chow.
>>
>> http://www.armadillopepper.com/categ...?categoryId=12
>>

>Hmmm. They sure have a lot of varieties, but I didn't see the
>kind that used to be prevalent (in the Boston area, anyway)--the
>one with the pearl onions, cauliflower, etc. Remember that?

S. S. Pierce brand, by any chance?

Lee Rudolph (a late arrival to the Boston area, as of 1969)
Posted to rec.food.historic

Lee Rudolph wrote:
> "Jean B." > writes:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> It's not Heinz, but this is a great source for chow chow.
>>>
>>> http://www.armadillopepper.com/categ...?categoryId=12
>>>

>> Hmmm. They sure have a lot of varieties, but I didn't see the
>> kind that used to be prevalent (in the Boston area, anyway)--the
>> one with the pearl onions, cauliflower, etc. Remember that?

> S. S. Pierce brand, by any chance?
>
> Lee Rudolph (a late arrival to the Boston area, as of 1969)

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't quite sure.

[BTW, I did get down to visit Chuck's cookbook store. The bridge
was still out but being worked on. That was in September or early
October. I think I emailed you about this....]

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Gary > wrote:
>On Dec 13, 11:20*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> I am very curious about those "euchred" things too. *Then there is
>> the Chow Chow, which I can't find. *Sniff.
>>

>"Euchred" is a curious word to be used in a food context. It was a
>slang term in 19th c, meaning cheated or deceived, and is clearly
>derived from the card game. Anyone know what it meant in terms of
>pickles?
>
>There's a good Chow Chow recipe in the 1975 edition of The Joy of
>Cooking (many of such old-fashioned recipes were deleted from later
>editions).

Here's a recipe for Euchered Crabapples-
http://www.texfiles.com/pioneercooking/pickling.htm
Looks like a sweet pickle recipe-- but I think it still leaves room
for 'euchered' to just mean 'better'.

There is also a ChowChow recipe there that looks a lot like the one I
made decades ago-- it might have even been from an early 70's Joy of
Cooking.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.historic

Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
-snip-
>>editions).

>Here's a recipe for Euchered Crabapples-
>http://www.texvfiles.com/pioneercooking/pickling.htm
>Looks like a sweet pickle recipe-- but I think it still leaves room
>for 'euchered' to just mean 'better'.
>
>There is also a ChowChow recipe there that looks a lot like the one I
>made decades ago-- it might have even been from an early 70's Joy of
>Cooking.

Oh- if Gary has a copy of that Joy of cooking & the recipes look
similar maybe he could hazard a guess as to a measurement on that "10
cents worth of white mustard seed" on the apparently un-dated recipe
for Chow Chow.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.historic

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> Gary > wrote:
>> On Dec 13, 11:20 am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>> I am very curious about those "euchred" things too. Then there is
>>> the Chow Chow, which I can't find. Sniff.
>>>

>> "Euchred" is a curious word to be used in a food context. It was a
>> slang term in 19th c, meaning cheated or deceived, and is clearly
>> derived from the card game. Anyone know what it meant in terms of
>> pickles?
>>
>> There's a good Chow Chow recipe in the 1975 edition of The Joy of
>> Cooking (many of such old-fashioned recipes were deleted from later
>> editions).

> Here's a recipe for Euchered Crabapples-
> http://www.texfiles.com/pioneercooking/pickling.htm
> Looks like a sweet pickle recipe-- but I think it still leaves room
> for 'euchered' to just mean 'better'.
>
> There is also a ChowChow recipe there that looks a lot like the one I
> made decades ago-- it might have even been from an early 70's Joy of
> Cooking.
>
> Jim

Interesting. I wonder what book these recipes have been lifted
from? I'll look into that later.

--
Jean B.

Heinz Ketchup A Moose in Love General Cooking 110 14-04-2014 03:43 PM
Heinz 57 - A1 Dimitri General Cooking 29 22-05-2008 05:10 PM
Heinz Salsa Sheldon General Cooking 4 14-05-2006 10:38 PM
Heinz 57 Sauce Tim Recipes 0 09-09-2005 02:57 AM
Ketchup - Why Is Heinz The Best...??? Gregory Morrow General Cooking 0 07-12-2004 06:19 AM