Posted to rec.food.historic,alt.cooking.chat

Default Did cooking make us human?

And here I always thought it was "On ne mange pas pour vivre lors on
vive pour manger." Apparently we need to replace "eat" with "cook".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r9svk

<quote>
We are the only species on earth that cooks its food - and we are also
the cleverest species on the planet. The question is: do we cook
because we're clever and imaginative, or are we clever and imaginative
because our ancestors discovered cooking?

Horizon examines the evidence that our ancestors' changing diet and
their mastery of fire prompted anatomical and neurological changes
that resulted in taking us out of the trees and into the kitchen.
</quote>

For those who are nzb-savvy, it's up in
alt.binaries.multimedia.cooking now:

http://www.binsearch.info/?q=Did.Coo...=14&ser ver=2

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Banned

Very good theme if fairly I think as it too reflects us as the higher being but if to look at acts we the latest
_________________
x-generic-pharmacy.com
generic pharmacy online
Posted to rec.food.historic,alt.cooking-chat

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:02:27 +0200, Opinicus wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r9svk
>
> <quote>
> We are the only species on earth that cooks its food - and we are also
> the cleverest species on the planet. The question is: do we cook
> because we're clever and imaginative, or are we clever and imaginative
> because our ancestors discovered cooking?
>
> Horizon examines the evidence that our ancestors' changing diet and
> their mastery of fire prompted anatomical and neurological changes
> that resulted in taking us out of the trees and into the kitchen.
> </quote>
> For those who are nzb-savvy, it's up in
> alt.binaries.multimedia.cooking now:
>
> http://www.binsearch.info/?q=Did.Coo...=14&ser ver=2

Here is a the same show in 1 gigabyte as a .torrent, not 20
gigabytes as a multipart file you need to download from a pay-for
Usenet server using a NZB news client.

<http://btjunkie.org/torrent/BBC-Horizon-2010-Did-Cooking-Make-Us-Human-PDTV-XviD-AC3-MVGroup/33231de10eaca8bbd9f0e7bf309567e1f85b8d11c97e>

(BTW: The proper group name is alt.cooking-chat)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.historic,alt.cooking-chat

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:02:27 +0200, Opinicus wrote:
>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r9svk
>>
>> <quote>
>> We are the only species on earth that cooks its food - and we are also
>> the cleverest species on the planet. The question is: do we cook
>> because we're clever and imaginative, or are we clever and imaginative
>> because our ancestors discovered cooking?
>>
>> Horizon examines the evidence that our ancestors' changing diet and
>> their mastery of fire prompted anatomical and neurological changes
>> that resulted in taking us out of the trees and into the kitchen.
>> </quote>
>> For those who are nzb-savvy, it's up in
>> alt.binaries.multimedia.cooking now:
>>
>> http://www.binsearch.info/?q=Did.Coo...=14&ser ver=2

> Here is a the same show in 1 gigabyte as a .torrent, not 20
> gigabytes as a multipart file you need to download from a pay-for
> Usenet server using a NZB news client.
>
> <http://btjunkie.org/torrent/BBC-Horizon-2010-Did-Cooking-Make-Us-Human-PDTV-XviD-AC3-MVGroup/33231de10eaca8bbd9f0e7bf309567e1f85b8d11c97e>
>
> (BTW: The proper group name is alt.cooking-chat)

Why do I see Steve's follow-up, but not the original from Opinicus?

Cooking shaped our species in many ways. It gave us calories from grains
and led to agriculture. It greatly eased the digestive requirements to
get nourishment from meat, and led to a reduction in the size of our
gut. and more. I'll look at the link when I get time.

Jerry
--
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, and thinking what
nobody has thought. .. Albert Szent-Gyorgi
Posted to rec.food.historic,alt.cooking-chat

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:09:29 -0400, Jerry Avins > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:02:27 +0200, Opinicus wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r9svk
> >>
> >> <quote>
> >> We are the only species on earth that cooks its food - and we are also
> >> the cleverest species on the planet. The question is: do we cook
> >> because we're clever and imaginative, or are we clever and imaginative
> >> because our ancestors discovered cooking?
> >>
> >> Horizon examines the evidence that our ancestors' changing diet and
> >> their mastery of fire prompted anatomical and neurological changes
> >> that resulted in taking us out of the trees and into the kitchen.
> >> </quote>
> >> For those who are nzb-savvy, it's up in
> >> alt.binaries.multimedia.cooking now:
> >>
> >> http://www.binsearch.info/?q=Did.Coo...=14&ser ver=2

> > Here is a the same show in 1 gigabyte as a .torrent, not 20
> > gigabytes as a multipart file you need to download from a pay-for
> > Usenet server using a NZB news client.
> >
> > <http://btjunkie.org/torrent/BBC-Horizon-2010-Did-Cooking-Make-Us-Human-PDTV-XviD-AC3-MVGroup/33231de10eaca8bbd9f0e7bf309567e1f85b8d11c97e>
> >
> > (BTW: The proper group name is alt.cooking-chat)

> Why do I see Steve's follow-up, but not the original from Opinicus?

Because as Sqwertz pointed out, the proper group name is
alt.cooking-chat. I apparently posted the heads-up message to
"alt.cooking.chat" along with rec.food.historic.

BTW if anyone has trouble with the .nzb file or with the torrent, I
can repost the complete video in alt.binaries.multimedia.cooking.
It''s in XviD format (.avi) and 783,441,920 bytes long.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to rec.food.historic,alt.cooking-chat

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:09:29 -0400, Jerry Avins wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:02:27 +0200, Opinicus wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r9svk
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> We are the only species on earth that cooks its food - and we are also
>>> the cleverest species on the planet. The question is: do we cook
>>> because we're clever and imaginative, or are we clever and imaginative
>>> because our ancestors discovered cooking?
>>>
>>> Horizon examines the evidence that our ancestors' changing diet and
>>> their mastery of fire prompted anatomical and neurological changes
>>> that resulted in taking us out of the trees and into the kitchen.
>>> </quote>
>>> For those who are nzb-savvy, it's up in
>>> alt.binaries.multimedia.cooking now:
>>>
>>> http://www.binsearch.info/?q=Did.Coo...=14&ser ver=2

>> Here is a the same show in 1 gigabyte as a .torrent, not 20
>> gigabytes as a multipart file you need to download from a pay-for
>> Usenet server using a NZB news client.
>>
>> <http://btjunkie.org/torrent/BBC-Horizon-2010-Did-Cooking-Make-Us-Human-PDTV-XviD-AC3-MVGroup/33231de10eaca8bbd9f0e7bf309567e1f85b8d11c97e>
>>
>> (BTW: The proper group name is alt.cooking-chat)

> Why do I see Steve's follow-up, but not the original from Opinicus?

He mis-spelled the name of the group. Originally it was
alt.cooking.chat. I changed it to alt.cooking-chat.

> I'll look at the link when I get time.

It's just a link to the actual movie file. Or technically, it's a
file that translates into download directions for file-sharing
software known as bittorrent.

I have downloaded it but have not watched it yet. It is one of my
areas of great interest, though.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.historic,alt.cooking-chat

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 06:27:31 +0200, Opinicus wrote:

> BTW if anyone has trouble with the .nzb file or with the torrent, I
> can repost the complete video in alt.binaries.multimedia.cooking.
> It''s in XviD format (.avi) and 783,441,920 bytes long.

Looks like your link expired, but I thought it said total download
size was 19.nn Gb's. I don't do NZB so I'm not sure if I was just
translating it wrong, or what.

Thanks for the heads-up on the existence of the show, BTW. I'll
probably watch it tonight.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.historic,alt.cooking-chat

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:40:43 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:09:29 -0400, Jerry Avins wrote:
>
>> Why do I see Steve's follow-up, but not the original from Opinicus?

> He mis-spelled the name of the group.

Or 'she' <shrug>. I just assumed the subject of the show was more
of a primitive man-thing :-)

-sw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinicus[_2_] View Post
And here I always thought it was "On ne mange pas pour vivre lors on
vive pour manger." Apparently we need to replace "eat" with "cook".

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Horizon, 2009-2010, Did Cooking Make Us Human?

quote
We are the only species on earth that cooks its food - and we are also
the cleverest species on the planet. The question is: do we cook
because we're clever and imaginative, or are we clever and imaginative
because our ancestors discovered cooking?

Horizon examines the evidence that our ancestors' changing diet and
their mastery of fire prompted anatomical and neurological changes
that resulted in taking us out of the trees and into the kitchen.
/quote

For those who are nzb-savvy, it's up in
alt.binaries.multimedia.cooking now:

http://www.binsearch.info/?q=Did.Coo...=14&ser ver=2

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse
Yes,i think so .I like cooking too.But unfortunately i'm not a good cook.
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminesolis View Post
Yes,i think so .I like cooking too.But unfortunately i'm not a good cook.
Welcome to 5K Tea - Chinese tea, green, black, oolong, pu erh is a good online teashop.you can find all the amazing chinese teas and services there
www.5ktea.com, the number-one Chinese online teashop ,enjoys the reputation for the best teas and services.