Posted to rec.food.historic

Default A delicate Chewit

http://www.theoldecookerybook.com/~t...iki/index.php/
A_delicate_Chewit#tab=Period_transcribed_recipe

A New Booke of Cookerie Image:England.png

1615

Pies (Chewet)

Veal
Beef suet
Marrow
Apple
Wardens
Currants
Orange peel
Pepper
Salt
Nutmeg
Sugar
Rosewater

Instructions Parboil a piece of a leg of veal, and being cold, mince it
with beef suet, and marrow, and an apple or a couple of wardens: when you
have minced it fine, add a few parboiled currants, six minced dates, a
piece of a minced preserved orange peel and marrow cut in little square
pieces. Season all this with pepper, salt, nutmeg, and a little sugar:
then put it into your crusts, and bake it like that. Before you close
your pie, sprinkle on a little rosewater, and when they are baked shave
on a little sugar, and serve.
Posted to rec.food.historic

ishmale wrote:
> http://www.theoldecookerybook.com/~t...iki/index.php/
> A_delicate_Chewit#tab=Period_transcribed_recipe
>

> A New Booke of Cookerie Image:England.png
>
> 1615
>
> Pies (Chewet)
>
> Veal
> Beef suet
> Marrow
> Apple
> Wardens
> Currants
> Orange peel
> Pepper
> Salt
> Nutmeg
> Sugar
> Rosewater
>

> Instructions Parboil a piece of a leg of veal, and being cold, mince it
> with beef suet, and marrow, and an apple or a couple of wardens: when you
> have minced it fine, add a few parboiled currants, six minced dates, a
> piece of a minced preserved orange peel and marrow cut in little square
> pieces. Season all this with pepper, salt, nutmeg, and a little sugar:
> then put it into your crusts, and bake it like that. Before you close
> your pie, sprinkle on a little rosewater, and when they are baked shave
> on a little sugar, and serve.

That looks quite apropos for this season!

Thanks, too, for posting here. We need to breathe some life into
this ng.

--
Jean B.