Beth Diane Garfinkel

Default Rosasolis

Hi, all.

Does anyone out there know what the word "rosasolis" refers to? I
assume that it's some sort of herb.

Thanks.

Beth

--
"Under the green wood tree/Who loves to lie with me/And tune his merry
note/Unto the sweet bird's throat/Come hither, come hither, come hither/
Opinicus

"Beth Diane Garfinkel" >
wrote

> Does anyone out there know what the word "rosasolis"

refers to? I
> assume that it's some sort of herb.

Sundew.
rosa solis: a cordial flavored with juice from the sundew or
other herbs and spices
"rosa solis." Webster's Third New International Dictionary,
Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.
http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (29 Jul. 2004).

ROSA SOLIS: The herb sundew. Drosera rotundifolia.
Originally the Italian cordial rosolio was prepared wholly
from the juice of the plant. As in the case of ratafia,
rosolio came to denote a whole class of cordials and
liqueurs. There are many variations in the spelling. Potter
says that sundew is so called because of the numerous red
hairs on the leaves upon which the moisture settles and does
not disperse even on the hottest day. The sun shining on the
hairs produces a dew-like effect. (John Nott, 1726)

http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/pages/glossr.htm

See also

www.bibliomania.com/2/1/66/113/21170/1.html

http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/haberlan/rs001.htm

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

aabacus

"Opinicus" > wrote in message >...
> "Beth Diane Garfinkel" >
> wrote
>
> > Does anyone out there know what the word "rosasolis"

> refers to? I
> > assume that it's some sort of herb.

> Sundew.
> rosa solis: a cordial flavored with juice from the sundew or
> other herbs and spices
> "rosa solis." Webster's Third New International Dictionary,
> Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.
> http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (29 Jul. 2004).
>
> ROSA SOLIS: The herb sundew. Drosera rotundifolia.
> Originally the Italian cordial rosolio was prepared wholly
> from the juice of the plant. As in the case of ratafia,
> rosolio came to denote a whole class of cordials and
> liqueurs. There are many variations in the spelling. Potter
> says that sundew is so called because of the numerous red
> hairs on the leaves upon which the moisture settles and does
> not disperse even on the hottest day. The sun shining on the
> hairs produces a dew-like effect. (John Nott, 1726)
>
> http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/pages/glossr.htm
>
> See also
>
> www.bibliomania.com/2/1/66/113/21170/1.html
>
> http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/haberlan/rs001.htm

Drosera is a carnivorous plant .It produces a kind of dew, which is
sticky and attracts tiny insects, which when trapped are digested by
the dew.
Adam
aabacus

"Opinicus" > wrote in message >...
> "Beth Diane Garfinkel" >
> wrote
>
> > Does anyone out there know what the word "rosasolis"

> refers to? I
> > assume that it's some sort of herb.

> Sundew.
> rosa solis: a cordial flavored with juice from the sundew or
> other herbs and spices
> "rosa solis." Webster's Third New International Dictionary,
> Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.
> http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (29 Jul. 2004).
>
> ROSA SOLIS: The herb sundew. Drosera rotundifolia.
> Originally the Italian cordial rosolio was prepared wholly
> from the juice of the plant. As in the case of ratafia,
> rosolio came to denote a whole class of cordials and
> liqueurs. There are many variations in the spelling. Potter
> says that sundew is so called because of the numerous red
> hairs on the leaves upon which the moisture settles and does
> not disperse even on the hottest day. The sun shining on the
> hairs produces a dew-like effect. (John Nott, 1726)
>
> http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/pages/glossr.htm
>
> See also
>
> www.bibliomania.com/2/1/66/113/21170/1.html
>
> http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/haberlan/rs001.htm

Drosera is a carnivorous plant .It produces a kind of dew, which is
sticky and attracts tiny insects, which when trapped are digested by
the dew.
Adam
Opinicus

"aabacus" > wrote
>> http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/haberlan/rs001.htm

> Drosera is a carnivorous plant .It produces a kind of dew,
> which is
> sticky and attracts tiny insects, which when trapped are
> digested by
> the dew.

Which means that a rosa solis liqueur is made from digested
bug juice.

Pass.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Opinicus

"aabacus" > wrote
>> http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/haberlan/rs001.htm

> Drosera is a carnivorous plant .It produces a kind of dew,
> which is
> sticky and attracts tiny insects, which when trapped are
> digested by
> the dew.

Which means that a rosa solis liqueur is made from digested
bug juice.

Pass.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

thank you ever so much for posting the below website. it's almost like
visiting the british museum...that means i can spend HOURS here...i already
have ;o)

bless you.