Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

Default Cafe Vegetaria, Edinburgh 1911

"Jack Campin - bogus address" > wrote in message
>I went to see an exhibition about the women's suffrage movement
> in Edinburgh today (at the Museum of Edinburgh in the High Street,
> formerly Huntly House). Pretty crappy display considering the
> effort they'd put into publicizing it, but one interesting note.
>
> The suffragettes organized a boycott of the 1911 Census, on the
> logical grounds that if the state wasn't going to let them vote it
> didn't need to know they existed, either. They arranged places
> for women to spend the night away from home so the census counters
> couldn't record them (various kinds of entertainment like board
> games were laid on). One of these places was the "Cafe Vegetaria".
>
> It seems logical that that was a vegetarian cafe. But Hendersons
> (Edinburgh's longest-running vegetarian eatery) claims to have
> been the first, in 1963. Looks like they were wrong by 50 years.
> Anybody know anything about the Cafe Vegetaria? Was there a
> widespread vegetarian movement before WW1 that produced similar
> establishments elsewhere?

Shock horror, there have always been vegetarians and Henderson's didn't
invent it. What I want to know is why when a vegetarian comes to a
restaurant with me, they can have the vegetarian option, but when I go to
Henderson's with them and ask for the meat option, they look at me as if I'm
mad?

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

On 11 Nov, 09:06, "Zimmy" > wrote:
> "Jack Campin - bogus address" > wrote in ...
>

> >I went to see an exhibition about the women's suffrage movement
> > in Edinburgh today (at the Museum of Edinburgh in the High Street,
> > formerly Huntly House). *Pretty crappy display considering the
> > effort they'd put into publicizing it, but one interesting note.

> > The suffragettes organized a boycott of the 1911 Census, on the
> > logical grounds that if the state wasn't going to let them vote it
> > didn't need to know they existed, either. *They arranged places
> > for women to spend the night away from home so the census counters
> > couldn't record them (various kinds of entertainment like board
> > games were laid on). *One of these places was the "Cafe Vegetaria".

> > It seems logical that that was a vegetarian cafe. *But Hendersons
> > (Edinburgh's longest-running vegetarian eatery) claims to have
> > been the first, in 1963. *Looks like they were wrong by 50 years.
> > Anybody know anything about the Cafe Vegetaria? *Was there a
> > widespread vegetarian movement before WW1 that produced similar
> > establishments elsewhere?

> Shock horror, there have always been vegetarians and Henderson's didn't
> invent it. What I want to know is why when a vegetarian comes to a
> restaurant with me, they can have the vegetarian option, but when I go to
> Henderson's with them and ask for the meat option, they look at me as if I'm
> mad?

Well - have you ever heard of mad lettuce disease?

Toom

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

In article >,
Zimmy > wrote:

> "Jack Campin - bogus address" > wrote in message
> >I went to see an exhibition about the women's suffrage movement
> > in Edinburgh today (at the Museum of Edinburgh in the High Street,
> > formerly Huntly House). Pretty crappy display considering the
> > effort they'd put into publicizing it, but one interesting note.
> >
> > The suffragettes organized a boycott of the 1911 Census, on the
> > logical grounds that if the state wasn't going to let them vote it
> > didn't need to know they existed, either. They arranged places
> > for women to spend the night away from home so the census counters
> > couldn't record them (various kinds of entertainment like board
> > games were laid on). One of these places was the "Cafe Vegetaria".
> >
> > It seems logical that that was a vegetarian cafe. But Hendersons
> > (Edinburgh's longest-running vegetarian eatery) claims to have
> > been the first, in 1963. Looks like they were wrong by 50 years.
> > Anybody know anything about the Cafe Vegetaria? Was there a
> > widespread vegetarian movement before WW1 that produced similar
> > establishments elsewhere?

> Shock horror, there have always been vegetarians and Henderson's didn't
> invent it. What I want to know is why when a vegetarian comes to a
> restaurant with me, they can have the vegetarian option, but when I go to
> Henderson's with them and ask for the meat option, they look at me as if
> I'm mad?

In my primary school days (around 1950), some of my class-mates came to
lunch. While most of were given "normal" food, one was given a salad.
When we looked surprised he said "We're vegetarians.", to which another
said@ "Really, we're Presbyterian."

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

"Toom Tabard" > wrote in message
On 11 Nov, 09:06, "Zimmy" > wrote:
> "Jack Campin - bogus address" > wrote in
>

> >I went to see an exhibition about the women's suffrage movement
> > in Edinburgh today (at the Museum of Edinburgh in the High Street,
> > formerly Huntly House). Pretty crappy display considering the
> > effort they'd put into publicizing it, but one interesting note.

> > The suffragettes organized a boycott of the 1911 Census, on the
> > logical grounds that if the state wasn't going to let them vote it
> > didn't need to know they existed, either. They arranged places
> > for women to spend the night away from home so the census counters
> > couldn't record them (various kinds of entertainment like board
> > games were laid on). One of these places was the "Cafe Vegetaria".

> > It seems logical that that was a vegetarian cafe. But Hendersons
> > (Edinburgh's longest-running vegetarian eatery) claims to have
> > been the first, in 1963. Looks like they were wrong by 50 years.
> > Anybody know anything about the Cafe Vegetaria? Was there a
> > widespread vegetarian movement before WW1 that produced similar
> > establishments elsewhere?

> Shock horror, there have always been vegetarians and Henderson's didn't
> invent it. What I want to know is why when a vegetarian comes to a
> restaurant with me, they can have the vegetarian option, but when I go to
> Henderson's with them and ask for the meat option, they look at me as if
> I'm
> mad?
>

>Well - have you ever heard of mad lettuce disease?

No, but quite a few people have died from E. Coli growing on lettuce.
I'll take my chances with a nice, super-heated steak.

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

In article >, "Zimmy" >
wrote:

> "Toom Tabard" > wrote in message
>
> >Well - have you ever heard of mad lettuce disease?

> No, but quite a few people have died from E. Coli growing on lettuce.
> I'll take my chances with a nice, super-heated steak.

Remember, a nice fresh salad is still alive when you crunch into it.

Sam

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

Sam Wilson wrote:

> Remember, a nice fresh salad is still alive when you crunch into it.

Uhh, gross.

But that's OK, it won't feel any pain. At least that's what these
cruel vegetarian sadists would have us believe.

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

In article >,
Sam Wilson > wrote:
>Remember, a nice fresh salad is still alive when you crunch into it.

"Vegatables aren't food. Vegatables are what food eats."

-- Richard
Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

Jack Campin - bogus address > writes:

>>> No, but quite a few people have died from E. Coli growing on lettuce.

>> Remember, a nice fresh salad is still alive when you crunch into it.

>And eating lettuce could be blasphemy:
>
>http://home.c2i.net/blinge/Essays/mishaf.html
>
>You gotta hand it to a religion that came up with an origin myth
>for Adam's arsehole.

I almost wish I hadn't followed the link (wonderful as it is),
so that I could have continued to believe that your two extracts
from the text, about lettuce and Adam's arsehole, were (1) continguous
therein, and therefore in some manner (2) the origin of the idiom (now
again as mysterious to me as it was before my brief moment of fallacious
insight) "to toss s.'s salad"="to perform analingus on s."

Lee Rudolph

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

"Zimmy" > writes:

>Shock horror, there have always been vegetarians and Henderson's didn't
>invent it. What I want to know is why when a vegetarian comes to a
>restaurant with me, they can have the vegetarian option, but when I go to
>Henderson's with them and ask for the meat option, they look at me as if I'm
>mad?

They're missing out on a good thing, then. Because if you take a
vegetarian anything, over which much effort has to be devoted to make
it tasty, and _just_ _add_ _meat_, it becomes utterly delicious!

--
Windmill, Really t m i l l
@ O n e t e l
Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

charles > writes:

>In my primary school days (around 1950), some of my class-mates came to
>lunch. While most of were given "normal" food, one was given a salad.
>When we looked surprised he said "We're vegetarians.", to which another
>said@ "Really, we're Presbyterian."

What religion is practised in the Vega system, then?

--
Windmill, Really t m i l l
@ O n e t e l

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

"Zimmy" > writes:

>>Well - have you ever heard of mad lettuce disease?

>No, but quite a few people have died from E. Coli growing on lettuce.
>I'll take my chances with a nice, super-heated steak.

I doubt if it was actively growing on it. Relatively few living things
can live on lettuce; certainly not people.
But maybe I now understand what's behind these 'wilted lettuce' recipes
which tell you to pour boiling water over.
--
Windmill, Really t m i l l
@ O n e t e l
Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

Sam Wilson > writes:

>Remember, a nice fresh salad is still alive when you crunch into it.

Hence the 'Vegetable Rights' movement. I have a copy of their
manifesto.

--
Windmill, Really t m i l l
@ O n e t e l
Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

"Richard Tobin" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Sam Wilson > wrote:
>>Remember, a nice fresh salad is still alive when you crunch into it.

> "Vegatables aren't food. Vegatables are what food eats."

My favourite:
"If God didn't want us to eat animals then he wouldn't have made them out of
meat" :-)

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

On 11 Nov, 18:16, (Richard Tobin) wrote:
> In article >,
> Sam Wilson > wrote:
>
> >Remember, a nice fresh salad is still alive when you crunch into it.

> "Vegatables aren't food. *Vegatables are what food eats."

If you're not at the top of the food chain, you're just food.

--
Halmyre

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic
Ian Ian is offline

On 12 Nov, 11:12, Sam Wilson > wrote:
> In article >,
> (Richard Tobin) wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sam Wilson > wrote:
> > >Remember, a nice fresh salad is still alive when you crunch into it.

> > "Vegatables aren't food. *Vegatables are what food eats."

> <http://www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/~ercm20/pix/veggies.jpg>

That's the window of the butcher's shop in Machynlleth - there to
provoke the trustafarian drop-out community (George Monbiot lives
there) as much as sell meat.

Ian
Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

In article >,
Ian > wrote:

>George Monbiot

The poor chap has a name that sounds like a multinational agrichemical
corporation.

-- Richard
Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

On 12 Nov, 04:21, (Windmill) wrote:
> "Zimmy" > writes:
> >Shock horror, there have always been vegetarians and Henderson's didn't
> >invent it. What I want to know is why when a vegetarian comes to a
> >restaurant with me, they can have the vegetarian option, but when I go to
> >Henderson's with them and ask for the meat option, they look at me as if I'm
> >mad?

> They're missing out on a good thing, then. Because if you take a
> vegetarian anything, over which much effort has to be devoted to make
> it tasty, and _just_ _add_ _meat_, *it becomes utterly delicious!

Someone who obviously didn't know any better gave my wife a copy of
Linda McCartney's Recipe Book some years ago. I take great delight in
serving some of the recipes as accompaniments to a nice juicy steak.

--
Halmyre
Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

In article
Ian > wrote:

> On 12 Nov, 11:12, Sam Wilson > wrote:
> > <http://www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/~ercm20/pix/veggies.jpg>

> That's the window of the butcher's shop in Machynlleth ...

Well spotted, sir!

Sam