Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

Default Cafe Vegetaria, Edinburgh 1911

In article >,
Jack Campin - bogus address > wrote:

>It seems logical that that was a vegetarian cafe. But Hendersons
>(Edinburgh's longest-running vegetarian eatery) claims to have
>been the first, in 1963. Looks like they were wrong by 50 years.
>Anybody know anything about the Cafe Vegetaria? Was there a
>widespread vegetarian movement before WW1 that produced similar
>establishments elsewhere?

It's mentioned 29 times in the Scotsman, all between 1909 and 1912.
From the examples I looked at it seems to have been a common venue
for radical meetings incluing the Fabian Society. There's also
a report of a wedding there.

On October 22 1912 there is a report that the annual business meeting
of the Edinburgh Vegetarian Society was held there - apparently quite
a large organisation since it had a committee of 16 members. The
secretary of the London Vegetarian Association also gave a talk there
including "the history of the children's dinner movement started by
the London Vegetarian Association".

Its address was 3 Nicolson Street.

-- Richard
Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

In article >,
>Interesting set of connections. The building dates from the 1790s,
>and had become the Edinburgh Temperance Hotel by 1849. By the 1990s
>it was Nicolson's Cafe, which is where J.K. Rowling started writing
>the first Harry Potter book.

Isn't that on the opposite side of the road?

-- Richard
Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

>>> Anybody know anything about the Cafe Vegetaria?

>> It's mentioned 29 times in the Scotsman, all between 1909 and 1912.
>> From the examples I looked at it seems to have been a common venue
>> for radical meetings incluing the Fabian Society. There's also
>> a report of a wedding there.

> Interesting set of connections. The building dates from the 1790s,
> and had become the Edinburgh Temperance Hotel by 1849. By the 1990s
> it was Nicolson's Cafe, which is where J.K. Rowling started writing
> the first Harry Potter book.

Isn't it the Elephant House on George IV Bridge which lays claim to
being the birthplace of HP?

Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic

>>> It's mentioned 29 times in the Scotsman, all between 1909 and 1912.
>>> From the examples I looked at it seems to have been a common venue
>>> for radical meetings incluing the Fabian Society. There's also
>>> a report of a wedding there.

>> Interesting set of connections. The building dates from the 1790s,
>> and had become the Edinburgh Temperance Hotel by 1849. By the 1990s
>> it was Nicolson's Cafe, which is where J.K. Rowling started writing
>> the first Harry Potter book.

> And it looks like it's changing again...
>
> http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ed...ere.5783933.jp

It may be but that isn't 3 Nicholson Street. Number 3 is on the opposite
side of the road and is half of the Edinburgh Arts and Picture Framers.
Posted to ed.general,rec.food.historic
Ian Ian is offline

On 12 Nov, 21:12, Jack Campin - bogus address >
wrote:

> Interesting set of connections. *The building dates from the 1790s,
> and had become the Edinburgh Temperance Hotel by 1849. *By the 1990s
> it was Nicolson's Cafe, which is where J.K. Rowling started writing
> the first Harry Potter book.

She also started writing it at the Elephant House ... and probably
every other café in Edinburgh by now.

Ian