Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

Default Happy Sliced Bread Day!

2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...

<quote>
1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
</quote>

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

Opinicus >'s wild
thoughts were released on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:06:51 +0300
bearing the following fruit:

>2009.07.07
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
>
><quote>
>1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
>first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
>in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
>popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
></quote>
>
>See also:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

Surely it should be 'the first automatically sliced bread'.
I'm certain sliced bread was achieved before that via the
use of a knife ;-)

--
Jan Hyde
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:59:55 +0100, Jan Hyde
> wrote:

>Opinicus >'s wild
>thoughts were released on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:06:51 +0300
>bearing the following fruit:
>
>>2009.07.07
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
>>
>><quote>
>>1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
>>first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
>>in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
>>popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
>></quote>
>>
>>See also:
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

>Surely it should be 'the first automatically sliced bread'.
>I'm certain sliced bread was achieved before that via the
>use of a knife ;-)

Notice that his quote does not preclude your qualification, the
former being a factory/bakery process and the latter an end-user
process.

When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

Hatunen wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:59:55 +0100, Jan Hyde
> > wrote:
>
>> Opinicus >'s wild
>> thoughts were released on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:06:51 +0300
>> bearing the following fruit:
>>
>>> 2009.07.07
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> 1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
>>> first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
>>> in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
>>> popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> See also:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

>> Surely it should be 'the first automatically sliced bread'.
>> I'm certain sliced bread was achieved before that via the
>> use of a knife ;-)

> Notice that his quote does not preclude your qualification, the
> former being a factory/bakery process and the latter an end-user
> process.
>
> When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
> at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
> asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
> cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.

My corner bakery had a machine with a lead screw that fed the loaf into
the spinning blade one CHOMP at a time. The slice thickness was adjustable.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic

Hatunen wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:59:55 +0100, Jan Hyde
> > wrote:
>
> >Opinicus >'s wild
> >thoughts were released on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:06:51 +0300
> >bearing the following fruit:
> >
> >>2009.07.07
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
> >>
> >><quote>
> >>1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
> >>first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
> >>in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
> >>popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
> >></quote>
> >>
> >>See also:
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

> >Surely it should be 'the first automatically sliced bread'.
> >I'm certain sliced bread was achieved before that via the
> >use of a knife ;-)

> Notice that his quote does not preclude your qualification, the
> former being a factory/bakery process and the latter an end-user
> process.
>
> When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
> at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
> asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
> cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.

Larger UK supermarkets still have slicing machines for the customers to
use. Properly shielded of course.

Posted to rec.food.historic

Opinicus wrote:
> 2009.07.07
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
>
> <quote>
> 1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
> first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
> in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
> popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
> </quote>
>
> See also:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sun 12 Jul 2009 08:35:25a, Jean B. told us...

> Opinicus wrote:
>> 2009.07.07
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
>>
>> <quote>
>> 1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
>> first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
>> in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
>> popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
>> </quote>
>>
>> See also:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
>>

> Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
> thing overall.

Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.

I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
much wider slices.

--
Wayne Boatwright
We plan, we toil, we suffer in the hope of what? A camel load

Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 12 Jul 2009 08:35:25a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Opinicus wrote:
>>> 2009.07.07
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> 1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
>>> first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
>>> in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
>>> popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> See also:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
>>>

>> Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
>> thing overall.
>>

> Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.
>
> I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
> much wider slices.

Wayne - I have seen such a critter, but it was not something worth
purchasing since it would change a "two day freshness" to one day.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 12 Jul 2009 08:35:25a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Opinicus wrote:
>>> 2009.07.07
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> 1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
>>> first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
>>> in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
>>> popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> See also:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
>>>

>> Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
>> thing overall.
>>

> Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.
>
> I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
> much wider slices.

Yes, I was thinking of the variety of bread and its quality. I
think the availability of the sliced bread in markets led folks
away from baking their own, and away from regional variations.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 12 Jul 2009 08:35:25a, Jean B. told us...
>
> > Opinicus wrote:
> >> 2009.07.07
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
> >>
> >> <quote>
> >> 1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
> >> first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
> >> in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
> >> popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
> >> </quote>
> >>
> >> See also:
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
> >>

> > Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
> > thing overall.
> >

> Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.
>
> I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
> much wider slices.

Our Krups slicer has adjustable thickness for slices. We use it all the
time for my homemade bread. The Maternal Unit likes it very thin, while
my preference is for much thicker slices. Obviously it wasn't cheap but
it's been in use for about 15 years if not more.

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Wed 15 Jul 2009 05:17:29p, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
>>> thing overall.
>>>

>> Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.
>>
>> I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but
>> with much wider slices.
>>

> Yes, I was thinking of the variety of bread and its quality. I
> think the availability of the sliced bread in markets led folks
> away from baking their own, and away from regional variations.

I'm sure you're right.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers? Author Unknown

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Wed 15 Jul 2009 05:21:15p, Arri London told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
>> > thing overall.
>> >

>> Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.
>>
>> I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but
>> with much wider slices.
>>

> Our Krups slicer has adjustable thickness for slices. We use it all the
> time for my homemade bread. The Maternal Unit likes it very thin, while
> my preference is for much thicker slices. Obviously it wasn't cheap but
> it's been in use for about 15 years if not more.

I don't own a slicer, but that's a great idea. It never occurred to me to
use a regular circular slicer for bread. Duh!

There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent bread
for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in better
supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread sliced
somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal for making
homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using various flavored
butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy seeds, etc. I miss
having that source. I could see the value of a slicer at home.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers? Author Unknown

Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 15 Jul 2009 05:21:15p, Arri London told us...
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > Our Krups slicer has adjustable thickness for slices. We use it all the
> > time for my homemade bread. The Maternal Unit likes it very thin, while
> > my preference is for much thicker slices. Obviously it wasn't cheap but
> > it's been in use for about 15 years if not more.

> I don't own a slicer, but that's a great idea. It never occurred to me to
> use a regular circular slicer for bread. Duh!

LOL. Works fine for both bread and meat.

> There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent bread
> for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in better
> supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread sliced
> somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal for making
> homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using various flavored
> butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy seeds, etc. I miss
> having that source. I could see the value of a slicer at home.

All my relatives have one. Would be strange for us not to have one.

Used to live in Cleveland. Lot of good food there in the past. No idea
what it's like these days.

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Thu 16 Jul 2009 04:58:40p, Arri London told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Wed 15 Jul 2009 05:21:15p, Arri London told us...
>>

>> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Our Krups slicer has adjustable thickness for slices. We use it all
>> > the time for my homemade bread. The Maternal Unit likes it very thin,
>> > while my preference is for much thicker slices. Obviously it wasn't
>> > cheap but it's been in use for about 15 years if not more.

>> I don't own a slicer, but that's a great idea. It never occurred to me
>> to use a regular circular slicer for bread. Duh!

> LOL. Works fine for both bread and meat.
>

>> There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent
>> bread for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in
>> better supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread
>> sliced somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal
>> for making homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using
>> various flavored butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy
>> seeds, etc. I miss having that source. I could see the value of a
>> slicer at home.
>>

> All my relatives have one. Would be strange for us not to have one.
>
> Used to live in Cleveland. Lot of good food there in the past. No idea
> what it's like these days.

Yes, there was a lot of good food in Cleveland, particularly European
ethnic. I loved shopping at the West Side Market. I haven't been back
since 2001. A lot could have changed since then.

I think I may be looking for a slicer in the near future...

--
Wayne Boatwright
My soul is dark with stormy riot, Directly traceable to diet.

Posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 16 Jul 2009 04:58:40p, Arri London told us...
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed 15 Jul 2009 05:21:15p, Arri London told us...

> >> I don't own a slicer, but that's a great idea. It never occurred to me
> >> to use a regular circular slicer for bread. Duh!

> > LOL. Works fine for both bread and meat.
> >

> >> There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent
> >> bread for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in
> >> better supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread
> >> sliced somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal
> >> for making homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using
> >> various flavored butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy
> >> seeds, etc. I miss having that source. I could see the value of a
> >> slicer at home.
> >>

> > All my relatives have one. Would be strange for us not to have one.
> >
> > Used to live in Cleveland. Lot of good food there in the past. No idea
> > what it's like these days.

> Yes, there was a lot of good food in Cleveland, particularly European
> ethnic. I loved shopping at the West Side Market. I haven't been back
> since 2001. A lot could have changed since then.

Left before that. But yes the West Side Market is a classic. Saturday
afternoons was a great time to shop. Always got extra bits thrown in
since the Market was closed Sunday. Ahhhhh that wonderful Hungarian-type
sausage and butter and bacon and and and....

> I think I may be looking for a slicer in the near future...

Whatever one you choose, make certain it comes apart completely for
cleaning.

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sat 18 Jul 2009 05:01:32p, Arri London told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

thin,

me

>> > LOL. Works fine for both bread and meat.

>> > All my relatives have one. Would be strange for us not to have one.
>> >
>> > Used to live in Cleveland. Lot of good food there in the past. No idea
>> > what it's like these days.

>> Yes, there was a lot of good food in Cleveland, particularly European
>> ethnic. I loved shopping at the West Side Market. I haven't been back
>> since 2001. A lot could have changed since then.

> Left before that. But yes the West Side Market is a classic. Saturday
> afternoons was a great time to shop. Always got extra bits thrown in
> since the Market was closed Sunday. Ahhhhh that wonderful Hungarian-type
> sausage and butter and bacon and and and....

Indeed...

>> I think I may be looking for a slicer in the near future...
>>

> Whatever one you choose, make certain it comes apart completely for
> cleaning.

Good point. I'll remember.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Recipe: A series of step by step instructions for preparing

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

On Jul 7, 10:45*pm, Hatunen > wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:59:55 +0100, Jan Hyde
>

> > wrote:
> >Opinicus >'s wild
> >thoughts were released on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:06:51 +0300
> >bearing the following fruit:

> >>2009.07.07
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_PageOn this day...

> >><quote>
> >>1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
> >>first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
> >>in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
> >>popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
> >></quote>

> >>See also:
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

> >Surely it should be 'the first automatically sliced bread'.
> >I'm certain sliced bread was achieved before that via the
> >use of a knife ;-)

> Notice that his quote does not preclude your qualification, the
> former being a factory/bakery process and the latter an end-user
> process.
>
> When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
> at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
> asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
> cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.

Our nearest mini-supermarket still has one of those.

cheers,
Stephanie
in Brussels
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

On 2009-07-20 22:00:57 +0200, tsuidf > said:

> On Jul 7, 10:45*pm, Hatunen > wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:59:55 +0100, Jan Hyde
>>
>> [ ... ]

>> When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
>> at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
>> asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
>> cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.

> Our nearest mini-supermarket still has one of those.

So does our local bakery. Probably that just reflects the fact that in
France (and doubtless Belgium) sliced bread is nowhere near as popular
as it is in English-speaking countries. Sliced bread is definitely
regarded as inferior for most purposes and is only sliced in a real
bakery if you want to spread foie gras on it, and then it's sliced at
the moment you buy it, not before.

--
athel

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

>>> When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
>>> at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
>>> asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
>>> cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.

>> Our nearest mini-supermarket still has one of those.

> So does our local bakery. Probably that just reflects the fact that in
> France (and doubtless Belgium) sliced bread is nowhere near as popular
> as it is in English-speaking countries. Sliced bread is definitely
> regarded as inferior for most purposes and is only sliced in a real
> bakery if you want to spread foie gras on it, and then it's sliced at
> the moment you buy it, not before.

From what I can recall of my youth in Belgium, sliced bread was far more
prevalent than it is in France, with sandwiches ("tartines") being made with
it, as opposed to the French baguette. I remember the local bakery
machine-slicing the loaves as they were sold. This in the 1960s.

Chris R

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:00:37 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
> wrote:

>On 2009-07-20 22:00:57 +0200, tsuidf > said:
>
>> On Jul 7, 10:45*pm, Hatunen > wrote:
>>> On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:59:55 +0100, Jan Hyde
>>>
>>> [ ... ]

>>> When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
>>> at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
>>> asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
>>> cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.

>> Our nearest mini-supermarket still has one of those.

>So does our local bakery. Probably that just reflects the fact that in
>France (and doubtless Belgium) sliced bread is nowhere near as popular
>as it is in English-speaking countries. Sliced bread is definitely
>regarded as inferior for most purposes and is only sliced in a real
>bakery if you want to spread foie gras on it, and then it's sliced at
>the moment you buy it, not before.

Publix supermarkets have bread slicing machines. The bakery counter
sells whole loaves of bread, and the customer has the choice of either
taking it as-is or having it sliced for them. My wife sometimes has a
loaf cut in half, and one-half sliced. The remaining half stays
fresher until we have used the sliced half.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

Chris R wrote:
>>> Our nearest mini-supermarket still has one of those.

>> So does our local bakery. Probably that just reflects the fact that in
>> France (and doubtless Belgium) sliced bread is nowhere near as popular
>> as it is in English-speaking countries. Sliced bread is definitely
>> regarded as inferior for most purposes and is only sliced in a real
>> bakery if you want to spread foie gras on it, and then it's sliced at
>> the moment you buy it, not before.

> From what I can recall of my youth in Belgium, sliced bread was far more
> prevalent than it is in France, with sandwiches ("tartines") being made with
> it, as opposed to the French baguette. I remember the local bakery
> machine-slicing the loaves as they were sold. This in the 1960s.

All the local -- read "family owned" -- bakeries I have shopped at since
the 1940s have had slicing machines. I already mentioned the one from
the 40s and 50s that cut a slice at a time, advancing the loaf with an
intermittent lead screw. All since then have had parallel reciprocating
blades. I get hard-crust ("Jewish") rye at a small bakery in New
Brunswick, NJ. New clerks are always surprised when I ask that it not be
sliced.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Member

Could be in your mind,try eatinq little thinqs at a time &&& drink fluidss.
Give your body time to diqest small foods before qoinq into biqqer meals. Hope you qet better.
Member

I like bread so much
but i don't like sweet bread
free credit report