Old 07-07-2009, 05:06 AM posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

Default Happy Sliced Bread Day!

2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...

quote
1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
/quote

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

Opinicus 's wild
thoughts were released on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:06:51 +0300
bearing the following fruit:

2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...

quote
1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
/quote

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

Surely it should be 'the first automatically sliced bread'.
I'm certain sliced bread was achieved before that via the
use of a knife ;-)

--
Jan Hyde
Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 PM posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:59:55 +0100, Jan Hyde
wrote:

Opinicus 's wild
thoughts were released on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:06:51 +0300
bearing the following fruit:

2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...

quote
1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
/quote

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

Surely it should be 'the first automatically sliced bread'.
I'm certain sliced bread was achieved before that via the
use of a knife ;-)

Notice that his quote does not preclude your qualification, the
former being a factory/bakery process and the latter an end-user
process.

When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 PM posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic,alt.english.usage

wrote:

[...]

My corner bakery had a machine with a lead screw that fed the loaf into
the spinning blade one CHOMP at a time. The slice thickness was adjustable.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Old 09-07-2009, 01:10 AM posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic

wrote:

[...]

Larger UK supermarkets still have slicing machines for the customers to
use. Properly shielded of course.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.historic

Opinicus wrote:
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...

quote
1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
/quote

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.

--
Jean B.
Old 15-07-2009, 12:05 PM posted to rec.food.historic

On Sun 12 Jul 2009 08:35:25a, Jean B. told us...

Opinicus wrote:
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...

quote
1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
/quote

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.

Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.

I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
much wider slices.

--
Wayne Boatwright
We plan, we toil, we suffer in the hope of what? A camel load

Old 15-07-2009, 09:07 PM posted to rec.food.historic

Opinicus wrote:
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...

quote
1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
/quote

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.

Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.

I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
much wider slices.

Wayne - I have seen such a critter, but it was not something worth
purchasing since it would change a "two day freshness" to one day.

Bob
Old 16-07-2009, 01:17 AM posted to rec.food.historic

Opinicus wrote:
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...

quote
1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
/quote

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.

Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.

I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
much wider slices.

Yes, I was thinking of the variety of bread and its quality. I
think the availability of the sliced bread in markets led folks
away from baking their own, and away from regional variations.

--
Jean B.
Old 16-07-2009, 01:21 AM posted to rec.food.historic

Opinicus wrote:
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...

quote
1928 €“ The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
/quote

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.

Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.

I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
much wider slices.

Our Krups slicer has adjustable thickness for slices. We use it all the
time for my homemade bread. The Maternal Unit likes it very thin, while
my preference is for much thicker slices. Obviously it wasn't cheap but
it's been in use for about 15 years if not more.

Old 16-07-2009, 06:31 AM posted to rec.food.historic

On Wed 15 Jul 2009 05:17:29p, Jean B. told us...

Opinicus wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you're right.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers? Author Unknown

Old 16-07-2009, 06:38 AM posted to rec.food.historic

On Wed 15 Jul 2009 05:21:15p, Arri London told us...

Opinicus wrote:
[...]

I don't own a slicer, but that's a great idea. It never occurred to me to
use a regular circular slicer for bread. Duh!

There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent bread
for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in better
supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread sliced
somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal for making
homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using various flavored
butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy seeds, etc. I miss
having that source. I could see the value of a slicer at home.

Old 17-07-2009, 12:58 AM posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Our Krups slicer has adjustable thickness for slices. We use it all the
time for my homemade bread. The Maternal Unit likes it very thin, while
my preference is for much thicker slices. Obviously it wasn't cheap but
it's been in use for about 15 years if not more.

I don't own a slicer, but that's a great idea. It never occurred to me to
use a regular circular slicer for bread. Duh!

LOL. Works fine for both bread and meat.

There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent bread
for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in better
supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread sliced
somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal for making
homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using various flavored
butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy seeds, etc. I miss
having that source. I could see the value of a slicer at home.

All my relatives have one. Would be strange for us not to have one.

Used to live in Cleveland. Lot of good food there in the past. No idea
what it's like these days.

Old 18-07-2009, 07:45 AM posted to rec.food.historic

On Thu 16 Jul 2009 04:58:40p, Arri London told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Yes, there was a lot of good food in Cleveland, particularly European
ethnic. I loved shopping at the West Side Market. I haven't been back
since 2001. A lot could have changed since then.

I think I may be looking for a slicer in the near future...

--
Wayne Boatwright
My soul is dark with stormy riot, Directly traceable to diet.

Old 19-07-2009, 01:01 AM posted to rec.food.historic

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Left before that. But yes the West Side Market is a classic. Saturday
afternoons was a great time to shop. Always got extra bits thrown in
since the Market was closed Sunday. Ahhhhh that wonderful Hungarian-type
sausage and butter and bacon and and and....

I think I may be looking for a slicer in the near future...

Whatever one you choose, make certain it comes apart completely for
cleaning.