Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Red Velvet Cake- Origin

Hi- I'm an old member, but I haven't been by in a long time. A friend
asked me if I knew the origins of "Red Velvet Cake". I have done a
little looking, and found some things that point to it being a WWII
recipe (the cocoa, and possible use of beets to fill out the cake,
which would also make it red). Does anyone here know more, or have a
good reference to point me to?

Thank you!

Tanya
Posted to rec.food.historic

Hi Tanya,

If you can forgive the self-endorsement, I have written a little
article on the subject:
You can find it at: <http://tinyurl.com/nyqvmr>.

BTW, I've since learned that some non-alkaline cocoas yield a deep red
color without the use of food color -- but I have not yet had an
opportunity to try them.

Gary