FoodBanter.com

-   Historic (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/)
-   -   Crecknels (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/167410-crecknels.html)

gorley williams 28-01-2009 12:04 AM

Crecknels

Does anyone know of a very old-fashioned tea biscuit called a cracknel?
I used to buy them from a store here in San Francisco and the store is
gone and so are the biscuits. They were very dry and crisp and had a
depression just asking to be filled with jam. Yummy memory. gorley

Arri London 28-01-2009 06:46 PM

Crecknels

gorley williams wrote:

> Does anyone know of a very old-fashioned tea biscuit called a cracknel?
> I used to buy them from a store here in San Francisco and the store is
> gone and so are the biscuits. They were very dry and crisp and had a
> depression just asking to be filled with jam. Yummy memory. gorley

Here is a recipe from: English Housewifery Exemplified, by Elizabeth
Moxon, published in 1764. Obtained from Project Gutenberg.
It's probably not like the commercial ones you were buying :) What brand
were they anyway?

245. _To make_ CRACKNELS.

Take half a pound (about 2 cups) of fine flour, half a pound (about 1
cup) of sugar, two ounces (half a stick) of butter, two eggs, and a few
carraway seeds; (you must beat and sift the
sugar) then put it to your flour and work it to paste; roll them as
thin as you can, and cut them out with queen cake tins, lie them on
papers and bake them in a slow oven.

They are proper to eat with chocolate.

A slow oven usually means between about 250 and 300 F.
For papers, use baking parchment.

Have fun!

gorley williams 07-02-2009 07:07 AM

Crecknels

On 2009-01-28 09:46:52 -0800, Arri London > said:

> gorley williams wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a very old-fashioned tea biscuit called a cracknel?
>> I used to buy them from a store here in San Francisco and the store is
>> gone and so are the biscuits. They were very dry and crisp and had a
>> depression just asking to be filled with jam. Yummy memory. gorley

> Here is a recipe from: English Housewifery Exemplified, by Elizabeth
> Moxon, published in 1764. Obtained from Project Gutenberg.
> It's probably not like the commercial ones you were buying :) What brand
> were they anyway?
>

> 245. _To make_ CRACKNELS.
>
> Take half a pound (about 2 cups) of fine flour, half a pound (about 1
> cup) of sugar, two ounces (half a stick) of butter, two eggs, and a few
> carraway seeds; (you must beat and sift the
> sugar) then put it to your flour and work it to paste; roll them as
> thin as you can, and cut them out with queen cake tins, lie them on
> papers and bake them in a slow oven.
>
> They are proper to eat with chocolate.
>

> A slow oven usually means between about 250 and 300 F.
> For papers, use baking parchment.
>
> Have fun!

Thanks, those are not at all like what we used to buy .. ours were made
locally by the Mission Biscuit Co. and sold in their retail store. They
were sold in bulk by weight. I must try this version though. gorley