Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Afghan biscuits

The New Zealand company Griffin's makes 'Afghans', which are crispy
biscuits, flavoured with cocoa powder and with a milk chocolate
coating on top.

A recipe for a domestic version of Afghan biscuits evidently appeared
first in Edmonds "Sure to Rise Cookery Book".

The 1914 edition of this book is online at

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-EdmCook.html

Yet there is no recipe for Afghan biscuits in this edition.

The book has been through many editions since 1907.

Does anybody know when the recipe for Afghan biscuits first appeared?

Incidentally, there is no entry for Afghan biscuits in the Oxford
English Dictionary. Does anybody know of a dictionary where the phrase
appears?
Posted to rec.food.historic

In article >, Richard Wright
> wrote:

> The New Zealand company Griffin's makes 'Afghans', which are crispy
> biscuits, flavoured with cocoa powder and with a milk chocolate
> coating on top.
>
> A recipe for a domestic version of Afghan biscuits evidently appeared
> first in Edmonds "Sure to Rise Cookery Book".
>
> The 1914 edition of this book is online at
>
> http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-EdmCook.html
>
> Yet there is no recipe for Afghan biscuits in this edition.
>
> The book has been through many editions since 1907.
>
> Does anybody know when the recipe for Afghan biscuits first appeared?
>
> Incidentally, there is no entry for Afghan biscuits in the Oxford
> English Dictionary. Does anybody know of a dictionary where the phrase
> appears?

I know it's a long way away from NZ, but it's worth bearing in mind
that Australia introduced a huge number of camels (which have since
gone feral) and Afghan camel drivers in the 19the century to explore
the red centre. The crack train from Adelaide to Darwin via Alice
Springs is still known as the 'Ghan' in their honour.

Lazarus