FoodBanter.com

-   Historic (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/)
-   -   Historic cookbooks or collections online? (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/162212-historic-cookbooks-collections-online.html)

Peter[_15_] 01-10-2008 08:25 PM

Historic cookbooks or collections online?

Where can I find complete collections of old cookbooks or recipes, online?

I'll give an example of an older cookbook (1898) that is complete (I find
the meat/game portions very interesting, as well as the useful hints
chapter... well, they are all good from a historical perspective)

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/c...1-119.02-e.php

Any similar links?

Martin S 01-10-2008 08:41 PM

Peter wrote:

> Where can I find complete collections of old cookbooks or recipes, online?
>

> I'll give an example of an older cookbook (1898) that is complete (I find
> the meat/game portions very interesting, as well as the useful hints
> chapter... well, they are all good from a historical perspective)
>
> http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/c...1-119.02-e.php
>

> Any similar links?

Lots, apart from my site (www.theoldecookerybook.com) which doesn't have any
complete cookbooks (yet) you could go to
http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/kobu.htm for example and start exploring.

--
Old time cookery and brewing:
theoldecookerybook.com

Richard Wright 02-10-2008 12:54 AM

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:25:36 -0400, "Peter" > wrote:

>Where can I find complete collections of old cookbooks or recipes, online?
>

>I'll give an example of an older cookbook (1898) that is complete (I find
>the meat/game portions very interesting, as well as the useful hints
>chapter... well, they are all good from a historical perspective)
>
>http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/c...1-119.02-e.php
>

>Any similar links?

Thanks for starting this thread. It is good to see books reproduced
from relatively recent times, and not just antiquarian.

I am interested to see the bog standard British style recipes that
this Canadian book presents. I could not see anything in the list of
contents that uses native Canadian food.

The approach is quite different from what came later in Eleanor
Ellis's 1967 "Northern Cookbook".

I had a copy of Ellis's book once, but it obviously had little
relevance here in Australia. I can't lay my hands on it now and
probably gave it away. Nevertheless one recipe that sticks in my mind
is Jellied Moose Nose. You can see that recipe reproduced by visiting:

http://bertc.com/jelliednose.htm

As you will see, it cautions you to pluck the hairs from the nostrils
before you jelly the nose. As if one would not!

Returning to more serious matters, are there antiquarian Canadian
recipe books that advise the early settlers?

Richard

Jean B.[_1_] 02-10-2008 11:14 PM

Peter wrote:
> Where can I find complete collections of old cookbooks or recipes, online?
>

> I'll give an example of an older cookbook (1898) that is complete (I find
> the meat/game portions very interesting, as well as the useful hints
> chapter... well, they are all good from a historical perspective)
>
> http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/c...1-119.02-e.php
>

> Any similar links?

Complete? I love this one:

http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/...ml/browse.html

--
Jean B.

Lazarus Cooke 02-10-2008 11:14 PM

Historic cookbooks or collections online?

In article >, Richard Wright
> wrote:

> As you will see, it cautions you to pluck the hairs from the nostrils
> before you jelly the nose. As if one would not!

Damn!

I wondered where I'd gone wrong.

Peter[_15_] 05-10-2008 02:01 AM

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>> Where can I find complete collections of old cookbooks or recipes,
>> online?
>>

>> I'll give an example of an older cookbook (1898) that is complete (I find
>> the meat/game portions very interesting, as well as the useful hints
>> chapter... well, they are all good from a historical perspective)
>>
>> http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/c...1-119.02-e.php
>>

>> Any similar links?

> Complete? I love this one:
>
> http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/...ml/browse.html
>
> --
> Jean B.

Great link, thanks

Jean B.[_1_] 05-10-2008 04:32 PM

Peter wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Peter wrote:
>>> Where can I find complete collections of old cookbooks or recipes,
>>> online?
>>>

>>> I'll give an example of an older cookbook (1898) that is complete (I find
>>> the meat/game portions very interesting, as well as the useful hints
>>> chapter... well, they are all good from a historical perspective)
>>>
>>> http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/c...1-119.02-e.php
>>>

>>> Any similar links?

>> Complete? I love this one:
>>
>> http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/...ml/browse.html
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Great link, thanks

I really like the fact that you can see the original as well as
the html version. Therefore, if the scan is wrong, you have some
recourse!

This site, and Duke's ephemera site, got me interested in
collecting books and booklets myself.

--
Jean B.

Gary 06-10-2008 04:17 PM

Historic cookbooks or collections online?

Jean,

Visit this blog (which, for those of us who care about food history,
is fantastic):
http://theoldfoodie.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to: "Online Historic Cookbooks," on the right side of the
window.

This will take you to a PDF listing of virtually every old cookbook
that you can read for free. It's a wonderful resource.

Gary

Jean B.[_1_] 07-10-2008 07:37 PM

Gary wrote:
> Jean,
>
> Visit this blog (which, for those of us who care about food history,
> is fantastic):
> http://theoldfoodie.blogspot.com/
>
> Scroll down to: "Online Historic Cookbooks," on the right side of the
> window.
>
> This will take you to a PDF listing of virtually every old cookbook
> that you can read for free. It's a wonderful resource.
>

> Gary

Terrific!

I am reminded, too, of this site, which has grand aspirations. I
don't know how many books they will ultimately have online though.

http://www.foodsville.com/book/alpha

I have found it somewhat hard to navigate here (and thus the
tense), and it may require membership. I dunno. It's affiliated
with a Boston-area company that issues reprints of old books.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 07-10-2008 07:39 PM

Gary wrote:
> Jean,
>
> Visit this blog (which, for those of us who care about food history,
> is fantastic):
> http://theoldfoodie.blogspot.com/
>
> Scroll down to: "Online Historic Cookbooks," on the right side of the
> window.
>
> This will take you to a PDF listing of virtually every old cookbook
> that you can read for free. It's a wonderful resource.
>

> Gary

Actually, that previous link seems to be for books one can buy.
Here is the one for books one can read online:

http://www.foodsville.com/book/readable

--
Jean B.

Peter[_15_] 08-10-2008 07:46 PM

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:

>>> Complete? I love this one:
>>>
>>> http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/...ml/browse.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jean B.

>> Great link, thanks

> I really like the fact that you can see the original as well as the html
> version. Therefore, if the scan is wrong, you have some recourse!
>
> This site, and Duke's ephemera site, got me interested in collecting books
> and booklets myself.
>
> --
> Jean B.

I'm not so much interested in collecting books, rather trying some of these
interesting recipes out :-) I'm a bit of a history buff (and a foodie), and
I find the methods and creations quite interesting. I have a strong stomach
and not prone to the "ewww gross" attitude often either, I'll try anything
once so long as it's safe.

Peter[_15_] 08-10-2008 07:47 PM

"Gary" > wrote in message
> Jean,
>
> Visit this blog (which, for those of us who care about food history,
> is fantastic):
> http://theoldfoodie.blogspot.com/
>
> Scroll down to: "Online Historic Cookbooks," on the right side of the
> window.
>
> This will take you to a PDF listing of virtually every old cookbook
> that you can read for free. It's a wonderful resource.
>

> Gary

Indeed, great. I've saved the PDF and will be browsing.

Jean B.[_1_] 11-10-2008 01:28 AM

Peter wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Peter wrote:

>>> Great link, thanks

>> I really like the fact that you can see the original as well as the html
>> version. Therefore, if the scan is wrong, you have some recourse!
>>
>> This site, and Duke's ephemera site, got me interested in collecting books
>> and booklets myself.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I'm not so much interested in collecting books, rather trying some of these
> interesting recipes out :-) I'm a bit of a history buff (and a foodie), and
> I find the methods and creations quite interesting. I have a strong stomach
> and not prone to the "ewww gross" attitude often either, I'll try anything
> once so long as it's safe.

I think the methods and results are quite interesting too. (I
won't mention the great sale I was at today then. <g>)

--
Jean B.

Michael Kuettner 11-10-2008 04:56 PM

"Peter" schrieb :

> "Jean B." wrote :
>> Peter wrote:

>>> Great link, thanks

>> I really like the fact that you can see the original as well as the html
>> version. Therefore, if the scan is wrong, you have some recourse!
>>
>> This site, and Duke's ephemera site, got me interested in collecting books
>> and booklets myself.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I'm not so much interested in collecting books, rather trying some of these
> interesting recipes out :-) I'm a bit of a history buff (and a foodie), and I
> find the methods and creations quite interesting. I have a strong stomach and
> not prone to the "ewww gross" attitude often either, I'll try anything once so
> long as it's safe.

Ah, helping out a history buff is always a pleasure !
Some links for you (bon appetite) :

<http://www.oldcook.com/index.htm>
<http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html>
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/>
<http://www.panix.com/~nexus/cooking/>
<http://www.thousandeggs.com/cookbooks.html>
<http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/kobu.htm>

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Peter[_15_] 13-10-2008 07:45 PM

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote in message

> "Peter" schrieb :

>>> I really like the fact that you can see the original as well as the html
>>> version. Therefore, if the scan is wrong, you have some recourse!
>>>
>>> This site, and Duke's ephemera site, got me interested in collecting
>>> books and booklets myself.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jean B.

>> I'm not so much interested in collecting books, rather trying some of
>> these interesting recipes out :-) I'm a bit of a history buff (and a
>> foodie), and I find the methods and creations quite interesting. I have
>> a strong stomach and not prone to the "ewww gross" attitude often either,
>> I'll try anything once so long as it's safe.
>>

> Ah, helping out a history buff is always a pleasure !
> Some links for you (bon appetite) :
>
> <http://www.oldcook.com/index.htm>
> <http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html>
> <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/>