Old 27-09-2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.historic

Default Gelatine Packages and Measurements, ca 1925

A little tidbit that may come in handy someday, from American
Cookery, October 1925.

"The number of tablespoons in a package of gelatine depends on the
brand, or the process of manufacture. It may be said that it
depends on the package. As a general rule, the package of
gelatine contains enough to stiffen two quarts of liquid. Finely
granulated gelatine makes a less bulky package than that which is
coarser. In our own experience we have known different brands to
measure for one-fourth to one-half cupful of the dry gelatine,
while each of them was advertised to yield two quarts of jelly.
Consequently, it comes nearer right to follow the recipe that
prescribes 'one-half package' when the one who framed the recipes
does not know which of the many brands of gelatine will be used by
the one who follows it."
--
Jean B.

Old 27-09-2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.food.historic

Jean B. wrote:
A little tidbit that may come in handy someday, from American Cookery,
October 1925.

"The number of tablespoons in a package of gelatine depends on the
brand, or the process of manufacture. It may be said that it depends on
the package. As a general rule, the package of gelatine contains enough
to stiffen two quarts of liquid. Finely granulated gelatine makes a
less bulky package than that which is coarser. In our own experience we
have known different brands to measure for one-fourth to one-half cupful
of the dry gelatine, while each of them was advertised to yield two
quarts of jelly. Consequently, it comes nearer right to follow the
recipe that prescribes 'one-half package' when the one who framed the
recipes does not know which of the many brands of gelatine will be used
by the one who follows it."

Replying to myself... It occurred to me that one might not search
using that spelling, so let me add the following for that reason:

Gelatin Packages and Gelatin Measurements

--
Jean B.