Historic (rec.food.historic) Discussing and discovering how food was made and prepared way back when--From ancient times down until (& possibly including or even going slightly beyond) the times when industrial revolution began to change our lives.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-09-2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.historic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 43
Default "Fools" oldest recipe

Gary wrote:

(and your publisher won't even consider a revised edition
until the first one sells out -- which is NEVER, because there are
only a hundred of us in the world who crave such a book)


Print-on-demand was invented to solve the problem.
I believe there are a few publishers with this service around.

Martin S
--
Old time cookery and brewing:
theoldecookerybook.com

--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
-------http://www.NewsDemon.com------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access

  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-09-2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.historic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,612
Default "Fools" oldest recipe

Gary wrote:
Sure, but then one would have to find every relevant entry. Not
quite the same as having some source that lists the earliest known
occurrences of such names/concepts.


Jean,

Sounds like you should write that book!

Be warned, however -- it will take years to research and write, and
the day after it's published hordes of scholars will suddenly appear,
bearing countless examples of earlier references to virtually every
entry in it (and your publisher won't even consider a revised edition
until the first one sells out -- which is NEVER, because there are
only a hundred of us in the world who crave such a book).

Do you think that might be the reason you can't find that book now?

Gary

-----------------------------------
Gary Allen
On the Table http://www.hvinet.com/gallen

The Resource Guide for Food Writers;
The Herbalist in the Kitchen;
The Business of Food: Encyclopedia of the Food and Drink Industries
(with Ken Albala);
Human Cuisine (with Ken Albala)


Heh. Well, my little pea-sized brain was thinking of writing a
book, but right now I am too busy collecting material (fun!) and
also gearing up for a move. I may still write one, but yeah,
there is that risk. At least with a site, you can change things,
even invite folks to try to find precedents.

--
Jean B.
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-09-2008, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.historic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,612
Default "Fools" oldest recipe

Martin S wrote:
Gary wrote:

(and your publisher won't even consider a revised edition
until the first one sells out -- which is NEVER, because there are
only a hundred of us in the world who crave such a book)


Print-on-demand was invented to solve the problem.
I believe there are a few publishers with this service around.

Martin S


Hmmm. Would that allow for constant revisions? That's an
interesting thought.

--
Jean B.
  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-09-2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.food.historic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,178
Default "Fools" oldest recipe



"Jean B." wrote:

Martin S wrote:
Gary wrote:

(and your publisher won't even consider a revised edition
until the first one sells out -- which is NEVER, because there are
only a hundred of us in the world who crave such a book)


Print-on-demand was invented to solve the problem.
I believe there are a few publishers with this service around.

Martin S


Hmmm. Would that allow for constant revisions? That's an
interesting thought.

--
Jean B.


Used to work for academic publishers. Wouldn't need constant revisions
as such. Once a year is sufficient, since relatively few copies would be
published/sold each round.
  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-09-2008, 11:04 PM posted to rec.food.historic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29
Default "Fools" oldest recipe

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:00:55 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

snipped

Sure, but then one would have to find every relevant entry. Not
quite the same as having some source that lists the earliest known
occurrences of such names/concepts.


I can't see how anybody could begin to compete with the online Oxford
English Dictionary and its battalions of readers that haved searched
for occurrences over the last 150 years.

I am unsure what you mean by the problem of having to 'find every
relevant entry'. You type in the word, up comes the list of earliest
known occurrences, together with changes in meaning over the
centuries.

Take just one entry - the favourite English dessert 'Spotted Dick' -
How long would it take you to do the reading that went into this
single entry?

OED defines it as a ' suet pudding made with currants or raisins'.

Among the citations a

1849 A. SOYER Modern Housewife 350 Plum Bolster, or *Spotted Dick. -
Roll out two pounds of paste.., have some Smyrna raisins well washed
[etc.].

1892 Pall Mall G. 15 Dec. 2/3 The Kilburn Sisters..daily satisfy
hundreds of dockers with soup and Spotted Dick.

1854 C. M. SMITH Working-Men's Way in World xii. 288 For supper come
smoking sheep's-heads..and ‘*spotted dog’, a very marly species of
plum-pudding.

a1936 KIPLING Something of Myself (1937) i. 18 An enormous currant
roly-poly - a ‘spotted dog’ a foot long.

1974 Country Life 25 Apr. 990/1 The other hound..reminded me of a
spotted dog pudding at school.

All I can say is 'the best of luck' if you tried to compete with the
OED.

Richard



  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-09-2008, 11:15 PM posted to rec.food.historic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,612
Default "Fools" oldest recipe

Richard Wright wrote:
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:00:55 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

snipped
Sure, but then one would have to find every relevant entry. Not
quite the same as having some source that lists the earliest known
occurrences of such names/concepts.


I can't see how anybody could begin to compete with the online Oxford
English Dictionary and its battalions of readers that haved searched
for occurrences over the last 150 years.

I am unsure what you mean by the problem of having to 'find every
relevant entry'. You type in the word, up comes the list of earliest
known occurrences, together with changes in meaning over the
centuries.

Take just one entry - the favourite English dessert 'Spotted Dick' -
How long would it take you to do the reading that went into this
single entry?

OED defines it as a ' suet pudding made with currants or raisins'.

Among the citations a

1849 A. SOYER Modern Housewife 350 Plum Bolster, or *Spotted Dick. -
Roll out two pounds of paste.., have some Smyrna raisins well washed
[etc.].

1892 Pall Mall G. 15 Dec. 2/3 The Kilburn Sisters..daily satisfy
hundreds of dockers with soup and Spotted Dick.

1854 C. M. SMITH Working-Men's Way in World xii. 288 For supper come
smoking sheep's-heads..and ‘*spotted dog’, a very marly species of
plum-pudding.

a1936 KIPLING Something of Myself (1937) i. 18 An enormous currant
roly-poly - a ‘spotted dog’ a foot long.

1974 Country Life 25 Apr. 990/1 The other hound..reminded me of a
spotted dog pudding at school.

All I can say is 'the best of luck' if you tried to compete with the
OED.

Richard

Yes, but you have to have something in mind to type it in. I
think it would be a great challenge to look for earlier
occurrences of relevant food terms. A list would facilitate that.
:-)

--
Jean B.
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-09-2008, 08:31 AM posted to rec.food.historic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29
Default "Fools" oldest recipe

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:15:28 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Richard Wright wrote:
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:00:55 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

snipped
Sure, but then one would have to find every relevant entry. Not
quite the same as having some source that lists the earliest known
occurrences of such names/concepts.


I can't see how anybody could begin to compete with the online Oxford
English Dictionary and its battalions of readers that haved searched
for occurrences over the last 150 years.

I am unsure what you mean by the problem of having to 'find every
relevant entry'. You type in the word, up comes the list of earliest
known occurrences, together with changes in meaning over the
centuries.

Take just one entry - the favourite English dessert 'Spotted Dick' -
How long would it take you to do the reading that went into this
single entry?

OED defines it as a ' suet pudding made with currants or raisins'.

Among the citations a

1849 A. SOYER Modern Housewife 350 Plum Bolster, or *Spotted Dick. -
Roll out two pounds of paste.., have some Smyrna raisins well washed
[etc.].

1892 Pall Mall G. 15 Dec. 2/3 The Kilburn Sisters..daily satisfy
hundreds of dockers with soup and Spotted Dick.

1854 C. M. SMITH Working-Men's Way in World xii. 288 For supper come
smoking sheep's-heads..and ‘*spotted dog’, a very marly species of
plum-pudding.

a1936 KIPLING Something of Myself (1937) i. 18 An enormous currant
roly-poly - a ‘spotted dog’ a foot long.

1974 Country Life 25 Apr. 990/1 The other hound..reminded me of a
spotted dog pudding at school.

All I can say is 'the best of luck' if you tried to compete with the
OED.

Richard

Yes, but you have to have something in mind to type it in. I
think it would be a great challenge to look for earlier
occurrences of relevant food terms. A list would facilitate that.
:-)


OK. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds. :=)

Richard


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Irrational Search for Micrograms (of Animal Parts) proves that"veganism" isn't about so-called "factory farms" at all Rudy Canoza[_8_] Vegan 0 19-08-2016 06:04 PM
Another "half-cooking" "recipe" Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 1 24-01-2013 06:03 AM
Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe") jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 14 26-02-2009 06:01 AM
FDA says "no" in Tomato connection to reduced cancer risk: From "Sham vs. Wham: The Health Insider" D. Vegan 0 11-07-2007 05:29 PM
Oops! This time with recipe! Recipe: "Sauteed" Mushrooms in Dehydrator Anne Mitchell Young General Cooking 4 03-06-2006 12:10 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017