Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Best tallow source for pemmican

I guess the subject line says it all, but the last time I ordered fat, I
asked for the fat from around the kidneys, thinking that this was
preferred for pemmican.
It is white when rendered and makes the pemmican taste like it's been
mixed with candle wax. Also quite hard, not crumbly as when it's made
with ordinary tallow from muscle fat.

So was kidney fat really preferred, and for what?
Posted to rec.food.historic

xavier a écrit :
> I guess the subject line says it all, but the last time I ordered fat, I
> asked for the fat from around the kidneys, thinking that this was
> preferred for pemmican.
> It is white when rendered and makes the pemmican taste like it's been
> mixed with candle wax. Also quite hard, not crumbly as when it's made
> with ordinary tallow from muscle fat.
>
> So was kidney fat really preferred, and for what?

Kidney fat is the fat of choice for deep-frying french fries among other
things.
--
Greetings, Salutations,
Guiraud Belissen, Château du Ciel, Drachenwald,
Posted to rec.food.historic

On 12 Sep 2008 14:28:34 GMT, xavier > wrote:

>So was kidney fat really preferred, and for what?

Technically, all raw beef fat is suet; but, for recipes that call for
suet, kidney fat is preferred. Once rendered it is tallow. Suet is
used in meat puddings, mincemeat, and Christmas puddings.
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:29:13 -0700, Robert Klute wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2008 14:28:34 GMT, xavier > wrote:
>

>>So was kidney fat really preferred, and for what?

> Technically, all raw beef fat is suet; but, for recipes that call for
> suet, kidney fat is preferred. Once rendered it is tallow. Suet is
> used in meat puddings, mincemeat, and Christmas puddings.

OK, got it.
Guess it doesn't matter.

Preserving pemmican william Preserving 2 12-09-2008 03:21 PM
looking for a source enigma[_2_] General Cooking 7 31-01-2008 01:27 AM
Source Sheldon General Cooking 1 06-12-2006 07:42 PM
Source of rub ingrediaents J.B. Bobbitt Barbecue 17 27-09-2005 01:42 AM
MLF Source Joe Winemaking 3 13-09-2005 07:15 PM