Posted to nyc.food,nyc.general,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove

Default NYC: Legendary 114-year-old Bakery Shuts Down

Vermin droppings being the cause:

www.venieropastry.com
Posted to nyc.food,nyc.general,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove

On May 9, 1:16*pm, Darrin > wrote:
> Vermin droppings being the cause:
>
> www.venieropastry.com

OOps - the correct link is www.venierospastry.com
Posted to nyc.food,nyc.general,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove

On Fri, 9 May 2008 10:56:58 -0700 (PDT), Darrin >
wrote:

>On May 9, 1:16*pm, Darrin > wrote:
>> Vermin droppings being the cause:
>>
>> www.venieropastry.com

>OOps - the correct link is www.venierospastry.com

Where's it located in the East Village, Darrin?

(Mouse turds in the muffins could be mistaken for raisins)
--
mad
Posted to nyc.food,nyc.general,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove

On May 9, 2:10*pm, Mack A. Damia > wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2008 10:56:58 -0700 (PDT), Darrin >
> wrote:
>
> >On May 9, 1:16*pm, Darrin > wrote:
> >> Vermin droppings being the cause:

> >>www.venieropastry.com

> >OOps - the correct link is www.venierospastry.com

> Where's it located in the East Village, Darrin?
>
> (Mouse turds in the muffins could be mistaken for raisins)
> mad

LOL! You got it, Toyota! eh The East Village! Had you visited during
your last stomp?eh -D, NYC "I think in terms of quality and diversity,
NY is the restaurant capital of the world. In terms of price, NY is
the most expensive dining city in the US" - TIMOTHY ZAGAT (CEO/founder
of The Zagat Guides/Surveys), interview on BLOOMBERG (4th Jewish Mayor
of NY) TELEVISION.."On November 1, 1683, the British formed Kings (aka
Brooklyn) & Queens Counties, naming the regions in honor of England's
King Charles II and his wife, Catherine of Braganza" - LITTLE BIG BOOK
OF NEW YORK.."Named Heere Street (High Street) by the Dutch, Broadway
was one of two main trading routes leading north from the tip of lower
Manhattan. During the American Revolution, British and American troops
traveled and fought along it" - IBID.."The statue of King George III
in Bowling Green was destroyed by riots in 1776, melted down, and
turned into musket balls used to fire against the British during the
Revolutionary War" - IBID.."On July 9, 1776 the Declaration of
Independence was read aloud to General Washington's troops in New
York" - IBID.."New York City was briefly the US capital from 1789 to
1790" -IBID.."Central Park is home to 25M visitors a year - 250,000 on
a spring weekend. All the pedestrian paths in CP add up to 58 miles.
There are 800 species of birds in North America - 275 of them can be
seen in CP. The northern end of CP was the site of a series of
fortifications for the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Since
1908, more than 175 movies have contained scenes in CP. CP is 843
acres - a larger area than the principality of Monaco - and contains
more than 500,000 trees and shrubs. CP's Mall, culminating at Bethesda
Terrace, was envisioned by Olmstead and Vaux as the "grand promenade"
for park visitors to see and be seen. It was the only formal
architectural design element in the park. In 1961 and 1965
respectively, the Metropolitan Opera and the New York Philharmonic
began giving free concerts in the park. Shakespeare in the park
started in 1962." - IBID.."As one of the greatest American
Universities, Columbia University was founded in 1754 as King's
College by royal charter of King George II of England. It is the
oldest institution of higher learning in the state of New York and the
fifth oldest in the United States" - COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, NYC.."In
1905, Gennaro Lombardi, who moved from Naples to Little Italy in 1905,
opened the nation's first licensed pizzeria, Lombardi's Coal Oven
Pizzaria Napoletana, on Spring Street, using his grandfather's dough
recipe. New York invented the pizza parlor-style pizza by serving
slices instead of a whole pie, and allowing customers to watch bakers
in the front of the store instead of hiding them in the back. The art
of making pizza dough is a New York City attraction in itself. It
wasn't until the 1960s that pizza bakers first began twirling and
tossing dough for an audience. New York City has more pizzerias than
any other American city" - LITTLE BIG BOOK OF NEW YORK.."If you're
eating a bagel that is perfectly round, with a symmetrical hole smack
dab in the center, then you are not eating an authentic New York City
bagel. Bagels are boiled and then baked to produce a crispy outer
crust and a chewy inside, and never have a uniform shape. New York
City bagels are said to be different (and better!) than all other
bagels because the quality of New York City water creates a specific
consistency unlike that produced in all other regions. The world
"bagel" is thought to derive from the Yiddish "beygel," and the German
"bugel," meaning a round loaf of bread. Whatever the history, whatever
the topping, a bagel is the ultimate New York City breakfast food. -
IBID .."An Egg Cream is a New York specialty that has been around
since the 1930s. Contrary to what the name suggests, there is no egg
in an egg cream. When made properly, it has a foamy froth on top that
resembles beaten egg" - IBID.."Chop Suey is based on a Cantonese term
for "odds and ends" or "mixed pieces" and a dish that does not exist
in China. There are numerous theories regarding the origins of Chop
Suey. The most widely accepted is that the dish was created in New
York City in 1896 when Chinese ambassador Li Hung Chang was sent by
the Chinese Emperor to meet with President Grover Cleveland to
strengthen US/China relations. When Chang threw a party, his personal
cook prepared a bland meal, reminiscent of a Chinese-style dish, to
satisfy both the American and Chinese palates" - IBID.."What made it
(Trattoria Dell'Arte, 900 7th Avenue & 57th Street) so awesome was our
waitress, Briana, who's a great singer," the star of "Harry Potter"
says of this Midtown Italian. "Each time she brought a different
course, she acted out the dishes, singing the praises of each type of
food." Briana may have been offering a special service, since this is
not one of those Broadway-area restaurants that advertises its
singing waiters. But she certainly made an impression. "She put on a
great show," says the 14-year-old Radcliffe. "On top of that, I had
the best-tasting 16-ounce steak." - DANIEL RADCLIFFE, actor, star of
Harry Potter, as told to sweet Neil Rosen's "My Favorite Place," NY
Post, May 29th, 2004).."If food were a competitive sport, New York
City would have more gold medals than anywhere else in the world" -
TRACY NIEPORENT, Myriad Restaurant Group/NYC & Company Restaurant
Committee Chair.."New Yorkers spend $11 billion a year eating out,
making NY the restaurant capital of the world" - JANE'S NY:
RESTAURANTS (NBC 4 NY - Studio 6B at at Rockefeller Center - NBC World
Headuarters, hub of broadcasting: home to Dateline, Nightly News with
Brian Williams, SNL, The Today Show, Late Night With Conan O'Brien