Posted to nyc.food,nyc.general,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove

Default NYC: 'Food Maven' reveals his favorite Jewish eats

Excerpt from: http://tinyurl.com/3xt9k2

NY DAILY NEWS
'The Food Maven' reveals his favorite Jewish eats
BY IRENE SAX
March 28,2008

Gefilte fish, matzo balls floating in golden chicken soup, brisket
with onion gravy and peppery potato kugel. At sundown on April 19, the
first night of Passover, many Jews will sit down to a meal like this.

But traditional Jewish foods are too delicious to have only on
holidays, says self-proclaimed food maven (and former Daily News food
editor) Arthur Schwartz. He's the author of the new "Jewish Home
Cooking: Yiddish Recipes Revisited," a fond evocation of the cooking
style brought to this country by Jewish immigrants from Eastern
Europe.

Many are iconic New York dishes. For years, says Schwartz, when people
talked about New York food they were really talking about Jewish
food.

Pastrami and matzo ball soup are practically tourist attractions.
Knishes are sold from street carts.

Is there anyone who hasn't eaten a bagel? Cheesecake? Challah French
toast? A kosher hot dog and a sour pickle?

These days, observant Jews may eat Japanese sushi and Italian pizza,
French crepes and Arab hummus and falafel. But the recipes in "Jewish
Home Cooking" are for the nostalgic cooking of Ashkenazi, or Eastern
European, Jews.

Posted to nyc.food,nyc.general,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:24:54 -0700 (PDT), Darrin >
wrote:

>Excerpt from: http://tinyurl.com/3xt9k2
>
>NY DAILY NEWS
>'The Food Maven' reveals his favorite Jewish eats
>BY IRENE SAX
>March 28,2008
>
>Gefilte fish, matzo balls floating in golden chicken soup, brisket
>with onion gravy and peppery potato kugel. At sundown on April 19, the
>first night of Passover, many Jews will sit down to a meal like this.
>
>But traditional Jewish foods are too delicious to have only on
>holidays, says self-proclaimed food maven (and former Daily News food
>editor) Arthur Schwartz. He's the author of the new "Jewish Home
>Cooking: Yiddish Recipes Revisited," a fond evocation of the cooking
>style brought to this country by Jewish immigrants from Eastern
>Europe.
>
>Many are iconic New York dishes. For years, says Schwartz, when people
>talked about New York food they were really talking about Jewish
>food.
>
>Pastrami and matzo ball soup are practically tourist attractions.
>Knishes are sold from street carts.
>
>Is there anyone who hasn't eaten a bagel? Cheesecake? Challah French
>toast? A kosher hot dog and a sour pickle?
>
>These days, observant Jews may eat Japanese sushi and Italian pizza,
>French crepes and Arab hummus and falafel. But the recipes in "Jewish
>Home Cooking" are for the nostalgic cooking of Ashkenazi, or Eastern
>European, Jews.

I still don't know the exact spelling of the delicacy, but
phonetically, it sounds like "Pitcha" (the accent is on the cha) and
is jellied cow's heel with garlic and sometimes hard boiled egg mixed
with it.

Anybody know?

I would get a dish (a chicken/meat pie tin) along with other
scrumptious food at the Jewish deli across the street from my
apartment in Kensington.
--
mad
Posted to nyc.food,nyc.general,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 18:35:25 -0700, Mack A. Damia
> wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:24:54 -0700 (PDT), Darrin >
>wrote:
>
>>Excerpt from: http://tinyurl.com/3xt9k2
>>
>>NY DAILY NEWS
>>'The Food Maven' reveals his favorite Jewish eats
>>BY IRENE SAX
>>March 28,2008
>>
>>Gefilte fish, matzo balls floating in golden chicken soup, brisket
>>with onion gravy and peppery potato kugel. At sundown on April 19, the
>>first night of Passover, many Jews will sit down to a meal like this.
>>
>>But traditional Jewish foods are too delicious to have only on
>>holidays, says self-proclaimed food maven (and former Daily News food
>>editor) Arthur Schwartz. He's the author of the new "Jewish Home
>>Cooking: Yiddish Recipes Revisited," a fond evocation of the cooking
>>style brought to this country by Jewish immigrants from Eastern
>>Europe.
>>
>>Many are iconic New York dishes. For years, says Schwartz, when people
>>talked about New York food they were really talking about Jewish
>>food.
>>
>>Pastrami and matzo ball soup are practically tourist attractions.
>>Knishes are sold from street carts.
>>
>>Is there anyone who hasn't eaten a bagel? Cheesecake? Challah French
>>toast? A kosher hot dog and a sour pickle?
>>
>>These days, observant Jews may eat Japanese sushi and Italian pizza,
>>French crepes and Arab hummus and falafel. But the recipes in "Jewish
>>Home Cooking" are for the nostalgic cooking of Ashkenazi, or Eastern
>>European, Jews.

>I still don't know the exact spelling of the delicacy, but
>phonetically, it sounds like "Pitcha" (the accent is on the cha) and
>is jellied cow's heel with garlic and sometimes hard boiled egg mixed
>with it.
>
>Anybody know?

Ptcha. Calve's foot in jelly/aspic.

Boron

Posted to nyc.food,nyc.general,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:14:18 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 18:35:25 -0700, Mack A. Damia
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:24:54 -0700 (PDT), Darrin >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Excerpt from: http://tinyurl.com/3xt9k2
>>>
>>>NY DAILY NEWS
>>>'The Food Maven' reveals his favorite Jewish eats
>>>BY IRENE SAX
>>>March 28,2008
>>>
>>>Gefilte fish, matzo balls floating in golden chicken soup, brisket
>>>with onion gravy and peppery potato kugel. At sundown on April 19, the
>>>first night of Passover, many Jews will sit down to a meal like this.
>>>
>>>But traditional Jewish foods are too delicious to have only on
>>>holidays, says self-proclaimed food maven (and former Daily News food
>>>editor) Arthur Schwartz. He's the author of the new "Jewish Home
>>>Cooking: Yiddish Recipes Revisited," a fond evocation of the cooking
>>>style brought to this country by Jewish immigrants from Eastern
>>>Europe.
>>>
>>>Many are iconic New York dishes. For years, says Schwartz, when people
>>>talked about New York food they were really talking about Jewish
>>>food.
>>>
>>>Pastrami and matzo ball soup are practically tourist attractions.
>>>Knishes are sold from street carts.
>>>
>>>Is there anyone who hasn't eaten a bagel? Cheesecake? Challah French
>>>toast? A kosher hot dog and a sour pickle?
>>>
>>>These days, observant Jews may eat Japanese sushi and Italian pizza,
>>>French crepes and Arab hummus and falafel. But the recipes in "Jewish
>>>Home Cooking" are for the nostalgic cooking of Ashkenazi, or Eastern
>>>European, Jews.

>>I still don't know the exact spelling of the delicacy, but
>>phonetically, it sounds like "Pitcha" (the accent is on the cha) and
>>is jellied cow's heel with garlic and sometimes hard boiled egg mixed
>>with it.
>>
>>Anybody know?

>Ptcha. Calve's foot in jelly/aspic.
>
>Boron

Thanks, M8; I actually have a recipe for it, but it's quite involved
with the calf's feet, etc.

Never knew the exact name, though.
-
mad

Posted to nyc.food,nyc.general,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.historic,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 09:15:35 -0500, "TMOliver"
> [...]

>> > wrote:

>>>Ptcha. Calve's foot in jelly/aspic.
>>>
>>>Boron

>> Thanks, M8; I actually have a recipe for it, but it's quite involved
>> with the calf's feet, etc.
>>
>> Never knew the exact name, though.
>> -

>I'm quite fond of a very plebian (and ancient - at least early colonial,
>unless the Aztec had a version featuring the tripes of their sacrificial
>victims, which many historians presume were done away with - gruesomely and
>at a rapid clip - to solve a protein shortage in the Valley of Mexico)
>Mexican soup/stew, Menudo, which requires tripe, hominy and long simmering,
>always with a calf's foot or two along with the traditional spices, herbs
>and chilies. The calf's foot adds body. Served with warm tortillas de mais
>(corn), chopped raw onion, chopped raw jalapeno (a different flavor than
>canned/bottled/in escabeche versions, chopped cilantro plus lime and lemon
>wedges, it is the traditional weekend cure "para la cruda", for a hangover,
>but remains a dish of which consumption may define social status/origin if
>not economic class. Can one suppose that the Aztec may have used a few
>Toltec heels to fortify their "authentic/original" version?
>
>How the world changes....Years ago in my youth, tortillas de mais were the
>norm, with tortillas de harina, now available throughout the US, were
>Sunday/Holiday fare...
>
>The Law of Unintended Consequences rears its head..... Conscientious and
>conservation-minded 'Mericans "save" gas (and the government provides
>massive subsidies for the use of ethanol blended into motor fuel. US
>ethanol is produced almost entirely from corn, demand jacking up the price
>of the commodity to exceed any previous highs..... That's not bad. We're
>prosperous and who notices the increase in corn syrup prices (our principal
>processed food sweetener), and shucks, not enough folks eat grits or hominy
>for those price increases to show (and there's not a lot of cornbread
>consumed anymore in the US)
>
>Meanwhile, down in Mexico's interior, higher corn prices have pushed the
>price of tortillas de mais, the staple of the diet of the poor and low
>income population, through the roof. Children literally starve so that we
>can imagine that we are bettering the environment. High corn prices help
>send thousands of young men and heads of households North to the Rio
>Bravo/Grande or the Baja Border to illegally enter the US to work to send
>home earnings to fill the bellies of their siblings and children.
>
>Somehow, I'd choose to discomfort the caribou up in ANWR with a few oil
>wells, while passing on contributing to the hunger of los ninos pobrecitos
>de Mejico. Who knows? The caribou might be good to eat, while even Dean
>Swift would have been unlikely to modestly propose that we eat Mexican
>children (incalculably better flavored presumably than the poorly seasoned

I actually live in Mexico - Baja, south of Tijuana.

I don't care for menudo; I like my tripe pickled with plenty of ground
pepper. Fish tacos are excellent, though, along with tongue,
goatsmeat and lamb tacos.
--
mad

rec.food.cuisine.jewish sf[_9_] General Cooking 3 29-12-2010 01:46 AM
NYC: 'Food Maven' reveals his favorite Jewish eats Darrin General Cooking 8 05-04-2008 10:58 PM
Jewish food [email protected] General Cooking 7 27-08-2007 03:40 PM
Jewish food gksperling General Cooking 0 27-08-2007 03:26 PM
Poison In The Food: How the Hungry Lion Eats Us donquijote1954 Vegan 6 13-12-2006 04:14 PM