Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Bath Oliver biscuits (crackers)

There is a famous English biscuit called a Bath Oliver. Its origin is
in the 18th Century.

http://igourmet.gourmetfoodmall.com/...p?product=5811

A recipe is given at

http://net-cookbook.com/recipes/bthcrkrs.txt

The result is close to the currently made commercial version -
probably even better. However if you are going to follow this recipe
you will find that (1) the biscuit should be rolled out thinner than
specified, and (2) the temperature needs to be reduced and the cooking
time increased.

I made the recipe work by cooking for 30 minutes at 150 degrees C
(300F) and then drying out for 20 minutes at 120C (250F).

Otherwise you end up with a soggy biscuit that is too brown. Real Bath
Olivers are baked to being only slightly off-white.

My question is this. The recipe gives the source as the Time-Life
series The Good Cook, volume Cookies & Crackers.

I am curious to know what historical context is given for this recipe
in the Time-Life book. I can find no other recipe in various books
devoted to traditional English cookery.

Does anybody have this Time-Life book? I can't lay my hands on it
Downunder. A scan of the relevant page would be most welcome. Just
remove REMOVE in the email address.

Posted to rec.food.historic

Richard Wright wrote:
> There is a famous English biscuit called a Bath Oliver. Its origin is
> in the 18th Century.
>
> http://igourmet.gourmetfoodmall.com/...p?product=5811
>
> A recipe is given at
>
> http://net-cookbook.com/recipes/bthcrkrs.txt
>
> The result is close to the currently made commercial version -
> probably even better. However if you are going to follow this recipe
> you will find that (1) the biscuit should be rolled out thinner than
> specified, and (2) the temperature needs to be reduced and the cooking
> time increased.
>
> I made the recipe work by cooking for 30 minutes at 150 degrees C
> (300F) and then drying out for 20 minutes at 120C (250F).
>
> Otherwise you end up with a soggy biscuit that is too brown. Real Bath
> Olivers are baked to being only slightly off-white.
>
> My question is this. The recipe gives the source as the Time-Life
> series The Good Cook, volume Cookies & Crackers.
>
> I am curious to know what historical context is given for this recipe
> in the Time-Life book. I can find no other recipe in various books
> devoted to traditional English cookery.
>
> Does anybody have this Time-Life book? I can't lay my hands on it
> Downunder. A scan of the relevant page would be most welcome. Just
> remove REMOVE in the email address.

I, insane cookbook collector, happen to have gotten a copy of
this book recently. The source given is W. T. Fernie, M.D.,
"Meals Medicinal: with 'Herbal Simples'". Bristol: John
Wright & Co., 1905. There IS a small introductory paragraph
with the recipe, which you may find of interest. I won't type
it here, because the copyright is, no doubt, in effect.

I'll try to get the relevant two pages scanned and sent this
evening.

HTH!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:39:39 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Richard Wright wrote:
>> There is a famous English biscuit called a Bath Oliver. Its origin is
>> in the 18th Century.
>>
>> http://igourmet.gourmetfoodmall.com/...p?product=5811
>>
>> A recipe is given at
>>
>> http://net-cookbook.com/recipes/bthcrkrs.txt
>>
>> The result is close to the currently made commercial version -
>> probably even better. However if you are going to follow this recipe
>> you will find that (1) the biscuit should be rolled out thinner than
>> specified, and (2) the temperature needs to be reduced and the cooking
>> time increased.
>>
>> I made the recipe work by cooking for 30 minutes at 150 degrees C
>> (300F) and then drying out for 20 minutes at 120C (250F).
>>
>> Otherwise you end up with a soggy biscuit that is too brown. Real Bath
>> Olivers are baked to being only slightly off-white.
>>
>> My question is this. The recipe gives the source as the Time-Life
>> series The Good Cook, volume Cookies & Crackers.
>>
>> I am curious to know what historical context is given for this recipe
>> in the Time-Life book. I can find no other recipe in various books
>> devoted to traditional English cookery.
>>
>> Does anybody have this Time-Life book? I can't lay my hands on it
>> Downunder. A scan of the relevant page would be most welcome. Just
>> remove REMOVE in the email address.
>>

>I, insane cookbook collector, happen to have gotten a copy of
>this book recently. The source given is W. T. Fernie, M.D.,
>"Meals Medicinal: with 'Herbal Simples'". Bristol: John
>Wright & Co., 1905. There IS a small introductory paragraph
>with the recipe, which you may find of interest. I won't type
>it here, because the copyright is, no doubt, in effect.
>
>I'll try to get the relevant two pages scanned and sent this
>evening.
>
>HTH!

Thanks Jean.

Recipe for Bath Oliver biscuits in Time-Life book Richard Wright General Cooking 0 22-03-2008 01:03 AM
Lime Bath The Joneses Preserving 17 18-06-2006 08:00 PM
jamie oliver [email protected] General Cooking 1 08-06-2005 12:44 PM
jamie oliver [email protected] General Cooking 1 07-06-2005 07:06 PM
Jamie Oliver Linda Sarbanes General Cooking 6 19-02-2005 06:39 PM