Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Social History of Chicken

I am doing a research project on the social history of chicken. I am
trying to get sources on famous chicken tycoons/entrepreneurs in the
US. I also need to find famous lyrics, jingles, poems, literature or
art work about chicken. Lastly, I am looking to find out if there are
famous chicken laws and/or whether there has been any prominent
chicken litigation? Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.historic

"TMOliver" > writes:

> wrote ...
>>I am doing a research project on the social history of chicken. I am
>> trying to get sources on famous chicken tycoons/entrepreneurs in the
>> US. I also need to find famous lyrics, jingles, poems, literature or
>> art work about chicken. Lastly, I am looking to find out if there are
>> famous chicken laws and/or whether there has been any prominent
>> chicken litigation? Thanks!

>It's not that long ago that chicken was an expensive "meat", saved for
>Sunday's and Holidays.

Urban Northerner (born 60 years ago in Cleveland, Ohio) chips in:
check out "city chicken", ksonders; recipes in most cookbooks of
the 50-years-ago-why-that's-not-that-long-ago-at-all! vintage.

Lee Rudolph (hi, Tom! isn't it about time your local-city chicken
finally came home to roost for good?)
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:51:40 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:06:54 -0800 (PST),
>wrote:
>
>> I am doing a research project on the social history of chicken. I am
>> trying to get sources on famous chicken tycoons/entrepreneurs in the
>> US. I also need to find famous lyrics, jingles, poems, literature or
>> art work about chicken. Lastly, I am looking to find out if there are
>> famous chicken laws and/or whether there has been any prominent
>> chicken litigation? Thanks!

>As a kid, those trained chickens/roosters at the State fairs and
>petting zoos that sat in vending cages and played basketball for
>a $.25 were always my favorite brand of chicken exploitation.
>
>Nowadays I just fry them up in peanut oil.

When I was a boy I would often accompany my grandmother to the poultry
house to buy a chicken for dinner. The birds were alive in cages and
grandma resembled a prowling cat, carefully examining each chicken for
size, meatiness, and any sign of disease. When she'd made her choice
she would call over the "chicken picker", whose job was to grab the
selected bird out of the cage. The chicken was then quickly killed,
plucked and gutted right on the spot and wrapped up in newspaper. This
process took less than five minutes.

My grandmother would never even think of serving her family a chicken
that she hadn't personally inspected while it was still alive.

Once while traveling in Algeria my girlfriend and I stopped at a small
village restaurant. We ordered chicken cous-cous and few minutes later
our main course was thrown out the side door of the kitchen into the
road with its throat cut. Being a city girl she was a bit shocked, but
I told her "I wish to God I could see all my meat in this part of the
world killed right before my eyes."

----
Diogenes )

The wars are long, the peace is frail