Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Whatever happend to...

....the Vess Bottling Company in the St. Louis area? Anyone know what year
it went out of business?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
A bird in the bush usually has a
friend in there with him.

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Wed 23 Jan 2008 06:26:21p, Sqwertz told us...

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:13:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> ...the Vess Bottling Company in the St. Louis area? Anyone know what
>> year it went out of business?

> Not yet.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vess
>
> -sw

Thanks, Steve. I had been given the impression that they didn't exist
anymore. Now I have to find out how/where I can order their Cream Soda,
the only cream soda I've ever tasted that I liked. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
'Keep honking, I'm reloading.'

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Wed 23 Jan 2008 06:41:44p, Sqwertz told us...

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:34:17 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Steve. I had been given the impression that they didn't exist
>> anymore. Now I have to find out how/where I can order their Cream Soda,
>> the only cream soda I've ever tasted that I liked. :-)

> Depending on how long ago you had one, it may be the case now
> that it's made with HFCS, and the taste has probably changed.

Steve, it's been so many years ago since I tasted it that I don't think I'd
be able to tell. I know that a lot of the sensory appeal was the aroma as
well as the color. The clear and brown cream sodas never appealed to me.
strange, huh?

> I can't remember what I used to drink when I was a kid - it came
> in 12-oz refillable bottles. Nothing has tasted as good since.

When I was a kid, all there was was refillable bottles. :-) Cans, plastic,
and disposable glass weren't in use yet.

> Try it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it. I went on a
> cream soda float binge a few months ago.

When I was a kid growing up in St. Louis, mostly I just drank the soda, but
occasionally my mom would make floats with it. Delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Ok, I pulled the pin. Now what? Where
are you going?

Posted to rec.food.historic

"Wayne Boatwright" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
3.184...
> On Wed 23 Jan 2008 06:26:21p, Sqwertz told us...
>
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:13:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> ...the Vess Bottling Company in the St. Louis area? Anyone know what
>>> year it went out of business?

>> Not yet.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vess
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Thanks, Steve. I had been given the impression that they didn't exist
> anymore. Now I have to find out how/where I can order their Cream Soda,
> the only cream soda I've ever tasted that I liked. :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

The Vess label is now owned by Cott, http://www.cott.com/, so I'd guess the
Vess Bottling Company *is* out of business, despite a Wikipedia article
suggesting differently.

Herbert

Posted to rec.food.historic

> The Vess label is now owned by Cott, http://www.cott.com/, so I'd
> guess the Vess Bottling Company *is* out of business, despite a
> Wikipedia article suggesting differently.

Or they could have gone into a different line of activity...

http://www.euthanasia.cc/vess.html

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Thu 24 Jan 2008 12:20:26a, Herbert Paulis told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> 3.184...

>>> Not yet.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vess
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Thanks, Steve. I had been given the impression that they didn't exist
>> anymore. Now I have to find out how/where I can order their Cream
>> Soda, the only cream soda I've ever tasted that I liked. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> The Vess label is now owned by Cott, http://www.cott.com/, so I'd guess
> the Vess Bottling Company *is* out of business, despite a Wikipedia
> article suggesting differently.
>
> Herbert

Thanks, Hebert. Although, apparently, they still bottle under the name of
Vess in certain areas.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 01(I)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)