Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Monte Cristo sandwich .. what up with the jam?

PLEASE tell me what in the world you are suppose to do with the jam.

John

Posted to rec.food.historic

RocketMan > scripsit in
oups.com:

> PLEASE tell me what in the world you are suppose to do with
> the jam.

Never had a Monte Cristo with jam. Maybe someone thought ham was a
typo...:-)
Posted to rec.food.historic

RocketMan wrote:

> PLEASE tell me what in the world you are suppose to do with the jam.
>
> John

Jam? What jam? Monte Cristo sandwiches don't have jam on them or in
them.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:50:35 -0600, Arri London wrote:
>
> > RocketMan wrote:
> >>
> >> PLEASE tell me what in the world you are suppose to do with the jam.

> > Jam? What jam? Monte Cristo sandwiches don't have jam on them or in
> > them.

> Which is why it's served on the side. I've eaten MC's all over
> the country and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to
> the areas that serve it with jam/sugar than the ones that don't.
> IOW - it's not a regional thing (I don't even think the MC
> sandwich has a "home state").
>
> I personally think jam and sugar is revolting on an MC. Some
> places will even use a sweet batter, which is big turn off for me
> and ruins the whole thing since there's no "opting out" of that.
>
> -sw

It seems to be the American version of the French 'croque monsieur',
which is never served with either jam or icing sugar. The Monte Cristo
is often believed to have originated in Los Angeleles but not something
so easily provable.
Posted to rec.food.historic

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:22:57 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:

>> > Jam? What jam? Monte Cristo sandwiches don't have jam on them or in
>> > them.

>> Which is why it's served on the side. I've eaten MC's all over
>> the country and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to
>> the areas that serve it with jam/sugar than the ones that don't.
>> IOW - it's not a regional thing (I don't even think the MC
>> sandwich has a "home state").
>>
>> I personally think jam and sugar is revolting on an MC. Some
>> places will even use a sweet batter, which is big turn off for me
>> and ruins the whole thing since there's no "opting out" of that.
>>
>> -sw

>It seems to be the American version of the French 'croque monsieur',
>which is never served with either jam or icing sugar. The Monte Cristo
>is often believed to have originated in Los Angeleles but not something
>so easily provable.

So that's why white powder is sprinkled on a perfectly good sandwich.

Posted to rec.food.historic

Robert Klute wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:22:57 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >Sqwertz wrote:

> >> Which is why it's served on the side. I've eaten MC's all over
> >> the country and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to
> >> the areas that serve it with jam/sugar than the ones that don't.
> >> IOW - it's not a regional thing (I don't even think the MC
> >> sandwich has a "home state").
> >>
> >> I personally think jam and sugar is revolting on an MC. Some
> >> places will even use a sweet batter, which is big turn off for me
> >> and ruins the whole thing since there's no "opting out" of that.
> >>
> >> -sw

> >It seems to be the American version of the French 'croque monsieur',
> >which is never served with either jam or icing sugar. The Monte Cristo
> >is often believed to have originated in Los Angeleles but not something
> >so easily provable.

> So that's why white powder is sprinkled on a perfectly good sandwich.

LOL! Perhaps...

Monte Cristo Sandwich jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 91 28-11-2011 05:24 PM
Bennigan's Monte Cristo Deweydecimal Recipes (moderated) 0 06-10-2006 11:19 PM
Monte Cristo SS Recipes (moderated) 0 03-10-2006 04:40 AM
Monte Cristo Sandwich Charles Gifford Historic 12 01-05-2004 08:54 AM