Old 26-10-2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.food.historic

Default Monte Cristo sandwich .. what up with the jam?

PLEASE tell me what in the world you are suppose to do with the jam.

John

Old 27-10-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.food.historic

RocketMan scripsit in
oups.com:

PLEASE tell me what in the world you are suppose to do with
the jam.

Never had a Monte Cristo with jam. Maybe someone thought ham was a
typo...:-)
Old 27-10-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.historic

RocketMan wrote:

PLEASE tell me what in the world you are suppose to do with the jam.

John

Jam? What jam? Monte Cristo sandwiches don't have jam on them or in
them.
Old 30-10-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.historic

Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:50:35 -0600, Arri London wrote:

RocketMan wrote:

PLEASE tell me what in the world you are suppose to do with the jam.

Jam? What jam? Monte Cristo sandwiches don't have jam on them or in
them.

Which is why it's served on the side. I've eaten MC's all over
the country and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to
the areas that serve it with jam/sugar than the ones that don't.
IOW - it's not a regional thing (I don't even think the MC
sandwich has a "home state").

I personally think jam and sugar is revolting on an MC. Some
places will even use a sweet batter, which is big turn off for me
and ruins the whole thing since there's no "opting out" of that.

-sw

It seems to be the American version of the French 'croque monsieur',
which is never served with either jam or icing sugar. The Monte Cristo
is often believed to have originated in Los Angeleles but not something
so easily provable.
Old 30-10-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.food.historic

RocketMan wrote:

[...]

So that's why white powder is sprinkled on a perfectly good sandwich.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.historic

RocketMan wrote:

[...]

LOL! Perhaps...

Monte Cristo Sandwich jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 91 28-11-2011 04:24 PM
Bennigan's Monte Cristo Deweydecimal Recipes (moderated) 0 06-10-2006 11:19 PM
Monte Cristo SS Recipes (moderated) 0 03-10-2006 04:40 AM
Monte Cristo Sandwich Charles Gifford Historic 12 01-05-2004 08:54 AM