Old 14-09-2007, 10:22 AM posted to rec.food.historic

Default "Optional service charge"

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:37:08 +0200, "Michael Kuettner"
wrote:

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 01:45:16 +0200, "Michael Kuettner"
wrote:

snip great discussion of delicious sounding food

Well, ethnic Australians until Fritz decided to wage war against Maria
Theresia

more snippage

Well, a look into the phone-book of Vienna (Australia) would show you Mareks,
Posbischils, etc. And Czernys, Molotovs and whatever else was once part
of the empire.
While Australia isn't as big as Merka, we are more thoroughly *******ized;
we've been at it for more than a thousand years ...

Michael Kuettner

I'm confused, Michael. In this and a previous post in this thread you
refer to "Australians" (people from Ausralia). It seems to me you
might mean "Austrians" (people from Austria, in Europe). Which is it?
Has your spellchecker gone nuts? 'Cause it doesn't sound like the
Australia in which I live :-)

Since George Bush stated that the Austrian army is in Afghanistan, I
feel a craving for roo-steak a la Vienna and am constantly checking
in which direction the toilet drains ...;-)

The Austria-Australia confusion is one of the oldest Usenet-jokes.
Esp. Merkins seem unable to keep the two apart, as demonstrated by
Bush recently.

G'day matey,

Michael "Bruce" Kuettner

Ah, yes. Mr Bush. At the recent APEC conference he thanked the
organisers of the "OPEC" conference. He obviously has the Middle East
on the brain :-)
An Aussie comedian had his "George Bush" thanking the Australian Prime
Minister, Ron Howard, for his contribution to cinema ;-)
CJ
"Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce......................... ..........."

Old 18-09-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.historic

"TMOliver" schrieb

"Michael Kuettner" wrote

snip

Interesting that the meat-filled pastries havea different name (at least for
Austrians).

Err, no, they don't.
I guess I was imprecise in my wording.
Golatschen (aka Teigtascherln) are as varied as Strudel.
They range from meat and kraut over curds with raisins to apricot
fillings.

I suspect that the local bakers who found kolace popular in the larger market,
kept the name to avoid customer confusion. The local versions less delicate
than your, simply a square of yeast-risen, egg-enriched bread-type dough,
slightly sweetened, in which the filling is placed in a depressed center.

That sounds depressing.

Your "curds", our "cottage cheese", and the continued existence of poppy seed
for traditionalists shows that some facets change less than others.

Yep.

For us, different folks make different krauts, and the local homemade version
is served slightly sweetened (a classic alteration of ethnic cuisines landing
in a place where sugar was cheap and plentiful) and usually has caraway/kummel
seeds, unlike some of the "deli" versions that come seedless or with dill
seed.

shudder
Dill has it's place with pickled gherkins, but should be kept a long way from
kraut.
Unlike the Germans, we don't use sauerkraut too much in the kitchen.
It's mostly just served as a salad.

One of my childhood favorites, always served at the weddings of the nursing
students who had come to the local Catholic hospital (and to which my family
was often invited, because Dad taught the surgical procedures class and was
much admired for his gallantry - and much recommended to their families and
friends, sources of "payment in kind" in lean years, a feature of a doctor's
household) was a "salad" of beets and hard-boiled eggs which I see no more,
vaguely Russian?

Ah yes, Rote-Beete-Salat (eggs are optional).
More common (in Styria) is green salad with vinegar and "Kernoel" (pumpkin-
seed oil) and thin slices of boiled egg on top.

There are dozens of recipes for "German" potato salad. Yours, using the beef
stock is interesting, and seems closer to the local "rural/Czech" version
than the fancy kitchen recipes.

It's an old recipe.
Tomorrow I'll cook "Faschierte Laiberl" (the Austrian urversion of the
hamburger) with potato salad (made with Kernöl and the beef-vinegar
mix).

The post-wedding meals usually held at one of a number of "lodge halls"
(SPJST, the Czech fraternal group and insurance provider) in the crossroads
communities, were and still are "groaning boards", outdoors in good weather,
bicultural blends of Central Europe meets the US South.

Well, the "groaning boards" are still alive in rural areas all over Europe.
They aren't typically Central E.

We have no Vienna that I know of, but Tokio, Warsaw and Moscow, as well as Old
Dime Box, Dime Box and Notrees (where there are no trees).

Well, and us Australians even have a ****ing (sadly now incorporated into
a greater town).

snip
The Austria-Australia confusion is one of the oldest Usenet-jokes.
Esp. Merkins seem unable to keep the two apart, as demonstrated by
Bush recently.

G'day matey,

In fact, for regular contributors to alt.folklore.urban, the Antipodean
subcontinent is clearly Austria, while Australia is cradled in the Alps. Of
course, Austrians may be easily identified on the street. Their watches have
the 12 at the bottom and the 6 on top.

Except when they visit Australia. Then the Coriolis force causes the watches
to spin ccounter-clockwise ...

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Old 28-09-2007, 12:03 AM posted to rec.food.historic,rec.food.restaurants

My wife is part "Hrabal" and by some quirk I served a term as President of
the family reunion group, members all over the US, but gathering each year
at the SPJST Lodge in tiny Cottonwood, a few miles from West. I suspect
that the Hrabals may have been ethnic Germans of the Sudeten/Bohemian sort.

It's a Czech name. See

http://members.tripod.com/~zlimpkk/G...hsurnames.html

Some very odd names in there.

What *does* "Nasralvhrnec" mean?