Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Oleomargarine

Since this group is so slow...

I always thought margarine was not an animal product, so I
found this interesting.

From Swift & Company's Kitchen Encyclopedia, 1911:

The Truth about Oleomargarine

Swift's Oleomargarine is a sweet, pure, clean, food product
made from rich cream and edible fats. It contains every
element of nutrition found in the best creamery butter.
The process of manufacture is primitive in its simplicity,
but modern in its cleanliness and purity.
The butter fat in Swift's Premium Oleomargarine is
microscopically and chemically the same as in the best butter;
the only difference is in the way it is secured from the cow.
Butter fat in butter is all obtained by churning. In
Swift's Premium Oleomargarine from 1/3 to 1/2 is obtained in
that way, the remainder is pressed from the choicest fat of
Government inspected animals. This pressed fat is called
"Oleo" hence the name "Oleomargarine."
Rich cream, fancy creamery butter, 'oleo' 'neutral,'
vegetable oil and dairy salt are the only ingredients of
premium oleomargarine. 'Neutral' is pressed from leaf fat.
It is odorless and tasteless.
There is no coloring matter added to Premium Oleomargarine,
yet it is a tempting rich cream color.
Read what a Government expert said about Oleomargarine:
"It contains essentially the same ingredients as natural
butter from cow's milk. it is perfectly wholesome and healthy
and has a high nutritious value."
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Yes, Jean -- originally, oleo was made from animal fats (beef suet).
Only when people became concerned about such fats did the industry
come up with margarines made from vegetable oils. Of course, their
solution (hydrogenating the oils to make them solid at room
temperature) in effect saturated them -- and created what are now
known to be worse: trans-fats.

Michael Krondl has a concise, yet informative, article on the subject
in _The Oxford Companion to American Food and Drink_

Gary

______________________
Gary Allen
On the Table
http://www.hvinet.com/gallen
New book: The Herbalist in the Kitchen

On Jul 18, 9:26 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Since this group is so slow...
>
> I always thought margarine was not an animal product, so I
> found this interesting.
>
> From Swift & Company's Kitchen Encyclopedia, 1911:
>
> The Truth about Oleomargarine

Posted to rec.food.historic

Gary wrote:
> Yes, Jean -- originally, oleo was made from animal fats (beef suet).
> Only when people became concerned about such fats did the industry
> come up with margarines made from vegetable oils. Of course, their
> solution (hydrogenating the oils to make them solid at room
> temperature) in effect saturated them -- and created what are now
> known to be worse: trans-fats.
>
> Michael Krondl has a concise, yet informative, article on the subject
> in _The Oxford Companion to American Food and Drink_
>
> Gary
>
> ______________________
> Gary Allen
> On the Table
> http://www.hvinet.com/gallen
> New book: The Herbalist in the Kitchen
>

> On Jul 18, 9:26 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Since this group is so slow...
>>
>> I always thought margarine was not an animal product, so I
>> found this interesting.
>>
>> From Swift & Company's Kitchen Encyclopedia, 1911:
>>
>> The Truth about Oleomargarine

Thanks, I even have that here somewhere.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Hi - thanks for this, jean, I didn't know it.

lazarus
Posted to rec.food.historic

Lets be historic. Margarine was introduced as a butter replacement
during WWII. It was originally made from vegetable oils not animal fat
which was also rationed. It came in a one pound plastic wrapped block
with a small capsule of coloring in it. You broke the capsule and
kneaded the block until you got the yellow color. This coloring method
was insisted on by the dairy industry as they did not want a
competition for butter developed, but the genie was out f the bag
anyway and margarine became a staple alternative to butter.

http://nativechefs.com

Posted to rec.food.historic

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Lets be historic. Margarine was introduced as a butter replacement
> during WWII.

Nope.

France in the 1860's.

It was originally made from vegetable oils not animal fat
> which was also rationed. It came in a one pound plastic wrapped block
> with a small capsule of coloring in it. You broke the capsule and
> kneaded the block until you got the yellow color.

The first laws restricting sale were passed in the USA in the 1870's.

In Europeeveryone could buy the stuff with the colour in it.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Posted to rec.food.historic

> wrote in message

> It came in a one pound plastic wrapped block
> with a small capsule of coloring in it. You broke the capsule and
> kneaded the block until you got the yellow color.

I can remember being given this job as a kid in Seattle (ca 1952). Even then
I couldn't see the point of it. "It doesn't change the taste", I protested.
(I'd checked.)

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to rec.food.historic

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Lets be historic. Margarine was introduced as a butter replacement
> during WWII.

That's simply not true, with the process of hydrogenating animal fats (or
any other fat/oil) dating to France in the latter half of the 19th century,
requiring only the addition of water and falvorings with further
emulsification to make what was first, about 1910 or so, essentiually
"reconstructed butter". "Crisco" and solid shortenings are but steps along
the oleo road....

WWII made the product a household name and standard.

> It was originally made from vegetable oils not animal fat
> which was also rationed. It came in a one pound plastic wrapped block
> with a small capsule of coloring in it. You broke the capsule and
> kneaded the block until you got the yellow color. This coloring method
> was insisted on by the dairy industry as they did not want a
> competition for butter developed,

Several of hereabouts are old enough to have squoze the oleo (as it was
called back then, "margarine" picking up popurlarity later). I can recall
being so accustomed to oleo as to find butter "strange" in flavor.

> but the genie was out f the bag
> anyway and margarine became a staple alternative to butter.
>
> http://nativechefs.com

Posted to rec.food.historic

In article >,
Ramon Tate > wrote:
>In article . com>,
> wrote:

>> Lets be historic. Margarine was introduced as a butter replacement
>> during WWII. It was originally made from vegetable oils not animal fat
>> which was also rationed. It came in a one pound plastic wrapped block
>> with a small capsule of coloring in it. You broke the capsule and
>> kneaded the block until you got the yellow color. This coloring method
>> was insisted on by the dairy industry as they did not want a
>> competition for butter developed, but the genie was out f the bag
>> anyway and margarine became a staple alternative to butter.

http://nativechefs.com

>For some brands, the coloring came as a powder in a small glassine
>packet. You sprinkled the color over the nearly-room temperature "oleo"
>and then stirred with a big spoon until your arms got tired (as I
>remember...:-)

Margarine precedes WWII as a cheaper substitute for butter.

You are correct that the dairy industry insisted on a large
"tax" being put on colored margarine, which used the SAME
coloring ingredient used in butter during winter months
to increase the color.
Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558