Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Knox Sparkling Gelatine

Egad! I was just perusing a booklet put out by Knox in 1929,
and I was envisioning some sort of effervescent product.
Suddenly, I started thinking that the "Sparkling" referred to
the appearance of the granulated gelatin(e) and/or to its
purity. I did a search and saw an ad that said one could use
this in place of other gelatin(e)s. I guess that confirms
nothing though.

I don't suppose anyone remembers Knox Sparkling Gelatine? Or
the removal of "Sparkling" from the name, if, indeed, that is
the story?

(It's also kind-of interesting that we are expected to spell
it "gelatin", while Knox, a major US manufacturer of same, has
used "gelatine" all along.)
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:15:58 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Egad! I was just perusing a booklet put out by Knox in 1929,
>> and I was envisioning some sort of effervescent product.
>> Suddenly, I started thinking that the "Sparkling" referred to
>> the appearance of the granulated gelatin(e) and/or to its
>> purity.

> http://www.darcisplace.com/darci/knox-cb.htm :
>
> In the erection of the building the Knox company has not only
> lived up to the present regulations required by the state board
> of health, but has anticipated future laws of sanitation. The
> concrete walls in all the rooms outside of the office have been
> painted cream, while the floors, of a composition soft and
> pliable under the feet, have a color scheme of cream and brown.
>
> The employees of the packing department wear white coats and
> aprons. Realizing that gelatine is a dainty food product, the
> company has purchased and built various packing and filling
> machines so that at no time does the pure sparkling gelatine come
> into contact with hands. One has but to go through the building
> and see the gelatine packed to discern at once that the whole aim
> has been to have the home of Knox Sparkling Gelatine as clean and
> sanitary as it is possible to make it and not to have it exceeded
> in sanitation and equipment by any building constructed for the
> manufacture of a high grade food product.
>
> Not only has Johnstown benefited through the publicity given to
> this model industrial plant but it has also become famous
> internationally directly through Knox advertising, and the people
> of the city are appreciative of the fact. The little package of
> gelatine and he millions of copies of the famous booklet, "Dainty
> Desserts for Dainty People", which have been sent out all over
> the world, have found their way into millions of homes, and on
> each package and booklet can be read the words, "Knox Sparkling
> Gelatine, Johnstown, New York". The product is widely advertised
> throughout the country and in every advertisement the fact that
> the gelatine comes from Johnstown, New York, is very apparent.
>
> -sw

Yup, I saw that in the course of my search. It didn't really
address the word "sparkling", but it did sort-of bolster my
thought that it referred to appearance/purity, and not to any
effervescence. (I might not have thought of effervescence at
all, but you do see recipes for gelatin concoctions that
contain carbonated beverages. I suppose we could discount
that in powdered form, but there were--and I guess are--the
loathesome Fizzies....)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." > wrote ...
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:15:58 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>>
>>> Egad! I was just perusing a booklet put out by Knox in 1929, and I was
>>> envisioning some sort of effervescent product. Suddenly, I started
>>> thinking that the "Sparkling" referred to the appearance of the
>>> granulated gelatin(e) and/or to its purity.

>> http://www.darcisplace.com/darci/knox-cb.htm :
>>
>> In the erection of the building the Knox company has not only
>> lived up to the present regulations required by the state board
>> of health, but has anticipated future laws of sanitation. The
>> concrete walls in all the rooms outside of the office have been
>> painted cream, while the floors, of a composition soft and
>> pliable under the feet, have a color scheme of cream and brown.
>>
>> The employees of the packing department wear white coats and
>> aprons. Realizing that gelatine is a dainty food product, the
>> company has purchased and built various packing and filling
>> machines so that at no time does the pure sparkling gelatine come
>> into contact with hands. One has but to go through the building
>> and see the gelatine packed to discern at once that the whole aim
>> has been to have the home of Knox Sparkling Gelatine as clean and
>> sanitary as it is possible to make it and not to have it exceeded
>> in sanitation and equipment by any building constructed for the
>> manufacture of a high grade food product.
>>
>> Not only has Johnstown benefited through the publicity given to
>> this model industrial plant but it has also become famous
>> internationally directly through Knox advertising, and the people
>> of the city are appreciative of the fact. The little package of
>> gelatine and he millions of copies of the famous booklet, "Dainty
>> Desserts for Dainty People", which have been sent out all over
>> the world, have found their way into millions of homes, and on
>> each package and booklet can be read the words, "Knox Sparkling
>> Gelatine, Johnstown, New York". The product is widely advertised
>> throughout the country and in every advertisement the fact that
>> the gelatine comes from Johnstown, New York, is very apparent. -sw

> Yup, I saw that in the course of my search. It didn't really address the
> word "sparkling", but it did sort-of bolster my thought that it referred
> to appearance/purity, and not to any effervescence. (I might not have
> thought of effervescence at all, but you do see recipes for gelatin
> concoctions that contain carbonated beverages. I suppose we could
> discount that in powdered form, but there were--and I guess are--the
> loathesome Fizzies....)

A couple of comments....(one a question)....

Didn't gelatin originally come in "sheets", and is it not still available
that way for the commercial trade?
That may give a clue to the "sparkling" powdered form.

If I was Knox, I'd make the plant bright and clean too. Can you imagine the
public reaction to the loading dock and the sight of what's used to make
gelatin. Not the most attractive of animal parts, and especially by the
truckload....

TMO