Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Manual for Army Cooks, 1916: some observations

I collect cookbooks and recipe booklets, and this was my
acquisition of the day. I thought it was kind-of interesting
and decided you might like a few observations--and one recipe.

There is a recipe for French Toast. I have seen that called
"French" and "German" and also, IIRC, milk toast (although
that can also be something else). I have seen speculation
that the changed from "German" to "French" at about this time,
but later in the book, there was a recipe for German Boiled
Potatoes.

The clam chowder is neither Manhattan- nor New England-style.
It contains clams, potatoes, bacon, beef stock, and onions.

On the other hand, the codfish and corn chowders are made with
evaporated milk (optional in the former case). They are also
thickened with toasted bread.

Omelets were baked, with the egg mixture "not more than 3
inches deep".

Tamales had a potato and flour crust. Cornmeal was only used
for dredging. They were deep-fried in lard. There is no
mention of husks or any other sort of wrapper.

There is an interesting recipe for fritters made from cold
cooked oatmeal....

Last but not least, since there are occasional queries about
this (at least the World War II version), here is the recipe
for SOS:

Beef, chipped (for 60 men)
ingredients used:
15 pounds chipped beef
1 pound fat, butter preferred
1 1/4 pounds flour, browned in fat
2 cans evaporated milk
1 bunch parsley
1/4 ounce pepper
6 quarts beef stock

Melt the fat in the pan and add the flour; cook a few minutes;
mix the milk and beef stock, or water; stir the batter in
slowly to prevent lumping; add the beef and cook a few
minutes. Add the parsley and serve on toast.
If the beef is very salty, it should be scalded before cooking.

Hmmm. That could use some editing. :-)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." > wrote in message
>I collect cookbooks and recipe booklets, and this was my acquisition of the
>day. I thought it was kind-of interesting and decided you might like a few
>observations--and one recipe.
>
> There is a recipe for French Toast. I have seen that called "French" and
> "German" and also, IIRC, milk toast (although that can also be something
> else). I have seen speculation that the changed from "German" to "French"
> at about this time, but later in the book, there was a recipe for German
> Boiled Potatoes.
>
> The clam chowder is neither Manhattan- nor New England-style. It contains
> clams, potatoes, bacon, beef stock, and onions.
>
> On the other hand, the codfish and corn chowders are made with evaporated
> milk (optional in the former case). They are also thickened with toasted
> bread.
>
> Omelets were baked, with the egg mixture "not more than 3 inches deep".
>
> Tamales had a potato and flour crust. Cornmeal was only used for
> dredging. They were deep-fried in lard. There is no mention of husks or
> any other sort of wrapper.
>
> There is an interesting recipe for fritters made from cold cooked
> oatmeal....
>
> Last but not least, since there are occasional queries about this (at
> least the World War II version), here is the recipe for SOS:
>
> Beef, chipped (for 60 men)
> ingredients used:
> 15 pounds chipped beef
> 1 pound fat, butter preferred
> 1 1/4 pounds flour, browned in fat
> 2 cans evaporated milk
> 1 bunch parsley
> 1/4 ounce pepper
> 6 quarts beef stock
>
> Melt the fat in the pan and add the flour; cook a few minutes; mix the
> milk and beef stock, or water; stir the batter in slowly to prevent
> lumping; add the beef and cook a few minutes. Add the parsley and serve
> on toast.
> If the beef is very salty, it should be scalded before cooking.
>
> Hmmm. That could use some editing. :-)

Interesting, but realize that can sizes for evaporated milk were likely 48
ounces which alters the recipe.

....But the dish is not "SOS", a quite dissimilar concoction using sautéed
ground beef, seasonings and tomatoes, tomato sauce or tomato paste, even
onions and bell peppers in haute cuisine military messes, much like the
children's favorite "Sloppy Joes" and in flavor close to a beanless version
of "Cincinnati Chili".

The dish with chipped beef is "creamed chip beef" or in the vernacular, at
least of the Navy and USMC, "Foreskins on Toast", still available in some
restaurants which specialize in breakfasts and have elderly chefs.... The
parsley and the beef stock make interesting additions, although I recall
chopped green onions in a version, and a similar breakfast dish made with
dried salt cod and once with dared bonito flakes.

Posted to rec.food.historic

"TMOliver" > writes:

>The
>parsley and the beef stock make interesting additions, although I recall
>chopped green onions in a version, and a similar breakfast dish made with
>dried salt cod and once with dared bonito flakes.

Once with da red ones, huh? I thought bonito didn't turn pink in the can...

Lee Rudolph`
Posted to rec.food.historic

TMOliver wrote:

> Interesting, but realize that can sizes for evaporated milk were likely 48
> ounces which alters the recipe.

That did cross my mind and then probably escaped it again.

> ...But the dish is not "SOS", a quite dissimilar concoction using sautéed
> ground beef, seasonings and tomatoes, tomato sauce or tomato paste, even
> onions and bell peppers in haute cuisine military messes, much like the
> children's favorite "Sloppy Joes" and in flavor close to a beanless version
> of "Cincinnati Chili".

Really! I have seen many queries for this, and this type of
recipe has been the response. Your observation makes more
sense when one thinks about it a bit.

> The dish with chipped beef is "creamed chip beef" or in the vernacular, at
> least of the Navy and USMC, "Foreskins on Toast", still available in some
> restaurants which specialize in breakfasts and have elderly chefs.... The
> parsley and the beef stock make interesting additions, although I recall
> chopped green onions in a version, and a similar breakfast dish made with
> dried salt cod and once with dared bonito flakes.

Well, those last ones are interesting.

Maybe I should keep my opinings to myself. :-(

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> TMOliver wrote:
>
>> Interesting, but realize that can sizes for evaporated milk were likely
>> 48 ounces which alters the recipe.

> That did cross my mind and then probably escaped it again.
>>
>> ...But the dish is not "SOS", a quite dissimilar concoction using sautéed
>> ground beef, seasonings and tomatoes, tomato sauce or tomato paste, even
>> onions and bell peppers in haute cuisine military messes, much like the
>> children's favorite "Sloppy Joes" and in flavor close to a beanless
>> version of "Cincinnati Chili".

> Really! I have seen many queries for this, and this type of recipe has
> been the response. Your observation makes more sense when one thinks
> about it a bit.
>
>> The dish with chipped beef is "creamed chip beef" or in the vernacular,
>> at least of the Navy and USMC, "Foreskins on Toast", still available in
>> some restaurants which specialize in breakfasts and have elderly
>> chefs.... The parsley and the beef stock make interesting additions,
>> although I recall chopped green onions in a version, and a similar
>> breakfast dish made with dried salt cod and once with dared bonito
>> flakes.

> Well, those last ones are interesting.
>
> Maybe I should keep my opinings to myself. :-(

If you dasn't opine, how will your opinions ever be sold to others, how will
discourse be instigated and fermented, and how will anyone learn anything.

The SOS name is a classic (and the USArmy did at some point serve ground
beef in a "cream" sauce). The sort of Southern (and I suspect relatively
modern) "Sausage Gravy" is obviously from the same chef's menu locker.

I've eaten pulpo in tinto on Spanish Minesweeper....

TMO

Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." > wrote

> Well, those last ones are interesting.
> Maybe I should keep my opinings to myself. :-(

Good heavens no, don't! I found this exchange most interesting.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to rec.food.historic

TMOliver wrote:
> If you dasn't opine, how will your opinions ever be sold to others, how will
> discourse be instigated and fermented, and how will anyone learn anything.

True.

> The SOS name is a classic (and the USArmy did at some point serve ground
> beef in a "cream" sauce). The sort of Southern (and I suspect relatively
> modern) "Sausage Gravy" is obviously from the same chef's menu locker.

Interesting. How modern? When I next run into one of my
Southern cookbooks, I'll try to remember to look.

> I've eaten pulpo in tinto on Spanish Minesweeper....

When? Was it good? It would be interesting to hear the fare
for other countries' armed forces.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

Opinicus wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote
>
>> Well, those last ones are interesting.
>> Maybe I should keep my opinings to myself. :-(

> Good heavens no, don't! I found this exchange most interesting.

Well, I'll admit it was better than the usual, which is nothing.

I keep thinking I want to post some things from my books and
booklets, but I don't know what folks might be interested in.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> TMOliver wrote:
>> If you dasn't opine, how will your opinions ever be sold to others, how
>> will discourse be instigated and fermented, and how will anyone learn
>> anything.
>>

> True.
>
>> The SOS name is a classic (and the USArmy did at some point serve ground
>> beef in a "cream" sauce). The sort of Southern (and I suspect relatively
>> modern) "Sausage Gravy" is obviously from the same chef's menu locker.

> Interesting. How modern? When I next run into one of my Southern
> cookbooks, I'll try to remember to look.
>>
>> I've eaten pulpo in tinto on Spanish Minesweeper....

> When? Was it good? It would be interesting to hear the fare for other
> countries' armed forces.

It was in port (Livorno, 164), and at dinner serving the officers of a small
squadron of 'sweeps, so not exactly regular Italian navy vittles. I always
looked highly upon the Italians, French and Spanish, too. All carried the
wine ration for the enlisted sailors in tanks, not jugs, casks or bottles.
Why the French could even "re-wine" underway with a hose from the oiler (But
drank a pretty vile Algerian purple wine of great body, which has an
idiomatic name, I can't recall, "pineaud" or some such, but not Pinaud lilac
water).

I grew up to "country sausage" and biscuits, often with "cream gravy" made
from the drippings, but sausage crumbled in it? Never, a modern
aberration....

TMO

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:48:46 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>When? Was it good? It would be interesting to hear the fare
>for other countries' armed forces.

Some years ago I was in a place where armies of various countries were
contributing to peace keeping.

Emergency ration packs used to fall off the backs of vehicles.

The US MRE (Meals Ready-to-Eat, but known as Meals Rejected by
Ethiopians) was satisfying and reasonably tasty.

The French pack likewise, but enhanced by a mini bottle of burgundy.

The Russian pack contained three tins - of different sizes, but each
with the same mixture of fat, arteries and tendons. There was also a
packet of sour dried black bread, and tea and sugar.

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Jun 8, 2:32 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> I collect cookbooks and recipe booklets, and this was my
> acquisition of the day. I thought it was kind-of interesting
> and decided you might like a few observations--and one recipe.

Jean,

This is not exactly the sort of military food you're describing, but a
recent book (von Hassell, Agostino. "Military High Life: Elegant Food
Histories and Recipes."University Press of the South, 2006) looks at
the elegant foods served in officers' messes.

SOS is conspicuously absent from the lavish illustrations...

Gary Allen
"The Herbalist in the Kitchen" (university of Illinois Press, 2007)
http://www.hvinet.com/gallen

Posted to rec.food.historic

> wrote in message

> Some years ago I was in a place where armies of various countries were
> contributing to peace keeping.
> Emergency ration packs used to fall off the backs of vehicles.
> The US MRE (Meals Ready-to-Eat, but known as Meals Rejected by
> Ethiopians) was satisfying and reasonably tasty.
> The French pack likewise, but enhanced by a mini bottle of burgundy.
> The Russian pack contained three tins - of different sizes, but each
> with the same mixture of fat, arteries and tendons. There was also a
> packet of sour dried black bread, and tea and sugar.

One wonders if they ever held swap meats...

--
Bob ;-)
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to rec.food.historic

Gary wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2:32 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> I collect cookbooks and recipe booklets, and this was my
>> acquisition of the day. I thought it was kind-of interesting
>> and decided you might like a few observations--and one recipe.

> Jean,
>
> This is not exactly the sort of military food you're describing, but a
> recent book (von Hassell, Agostino. "Military High Life: Elegant Food
> Histories and Recipes."University Press of the South, 2006) looks at
> the elegant foods served in officers' messes.
>
> SOS is conspicuously absent from the lavish illustrations...
>
> Gary Allen
> "The Herbalist in the Kitchen" (university of Illinois Press, 2007)
> http://www.hvinet.com/gallen

Hehe. I bet there is/was quite a contrast. Any examples?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.historic

> wrote .....

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 06:24:10 +1000, wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:48:46 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>

>>>When? Was it good? It would be interesting to hear the fare
>>>for other countries' armed forces.

>>Some years ago I was in a place where armies of various countries were
>>contributing to peace keeping.
>>
>>Emergency ration packs used to fall off the backs of vehicles.
>>
>>The US MRE (Meals Ready-to-Eat, but known as Meals Rejected by
>>Ethiopians) was satisfying and reasonably tasty.
>>
>>The French pack likewise, but enhanced by a mini bottle of burgundy.
>>
>>The Russian pack contained three tins - of different sizes, but each
>>with the same mixture of fat, arteries and tendons. There was also a
>>packet of sour dried black bread, and tea and sugar.

> The MRE..........three lies for the price of one :-)

For those of us who still have our little C Ration can openers appended from
our dog tag chains, the MREs are not feasts but certainly a step up. Until
you've ended up with the pork and egg C Ration (especially one from the back
of the QM's supply, you're still ahead in a culinary sense.

As a boy scout, 1951 or so, I recall being provided K Rations, even less
palatable than the Cs I struggled with later, while at Fort Hood campouts.
After a few days of K Rations, you would be ready to loot and pillage your
home town, much less some furrin village.

Don't belittle the Russian Ration Rye. Down at the fancy deli, folks pay
big money for similar bread...

TMO

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:27:42 -0500, "TMOliver"
> wrote:

> wrote .....

>>>Some years ago I was in a place where armies of various countries were
>>>contributing to peace keeping.
>>>
>>>Emergency ration packs used to fall off the backs of vehicles.
>>>
>>>The US MRE (Meals Ready-to-Eat, but known as Meals Rejected by
>>>Ethiopians) was satisfying and reasonably tasty.
>>>
>>>The French pack likewise, but enhanced by a mini bottle of burgundy.
>>>
>>>The Russian pack contained three tins - of different sizes, but each
>>>with the same mixture of fat, arteries and tendons. There was also a
>>>packet of sour dried black bread, and tea and sugar.

>> The MRE..........three lies for the price of one :-)
>>

>For those of us who still have our little C Ration can openers appended from
>our dog tag chains, the MREs are not feasts but certainly a step up. Until
>you've ended up with the pork and egg C Ration (especially one from the back
>of the QM's supply, you're still ahead in a culinary sense.
>
>As a boy scout, 1951 or so, I recall being provided K Rations, even less
>palatable than the Cs I struggled with later, while at Fort Hood campouts.
>After a few days of K Rations, you would be ready to loot and pillage your
>home town, much less some furrin village.
>
>Don't belittle the Russian Ration Rye. Down at the fancy deli, folks pay
>big money for similar bread...

If you're referring to the ham and egg C-ration, it wasn't all that
bad as long as you could heat it up. I ate a helluva lot of C-rats and
most of them were fairly edible when served hot, distinctly
unappetizing if cold. There was, however, one glaring exception: the
infamous ham and lima beans (universally known as 'ham and
mother****ers') were horrible no matter what you did with or to them.

I once read a book about a German soldier starting his long journey
home at the end of WWII. His marching rations consisted of a large
loaf of hard army bread and two kilos of lard. Hmm, maybe 'ham and
mammies' weren't so bad after all.

----
Diogenes )

The wars are long, the peace is frail