Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Recipe for a Salad

Recipe for a Salad

To make this condiment, your poet begs

The pounded yellow of two hard-boiled eggs;

Two boiled potatoes, passed through kitchen-sieve,

Smoothness and softness to the salad give;

Let onion atoms lurk within the bowl,

And, half-suspected, animate the whole.

Of mordant mustard add a single spoon,

Distrust the condiment that bites so soon;

But deem it not, thou man of herbs, a fault,

To add a double quantity of salt.

And, lastly, o'er the flavoured compound toss

A magic soup-spoon of anchovy sauce.

Oh, green and glorious! Oh, herbaceous treat!

'T would tempt the dying anchorite to eat;

Back to the world he'd turn his fleeting soul,

And plunge his fingers in the salad bowl!

Serenely full, the epicure would say:

Fate can not harm me, I have dined to-day!

Sydney Smith (1771-1845)

(From The Oxford Book of Comic Verse ed. John Gross. Oxford University
Press. Published in the 18-Feb-95 issue of The Economist.)

--
Bob, yum yum
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to rec.food.historic

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 22:09:41 +0300, "Opinicus" >
wrote:

>Recipe for a Salad
>

>To make this condiment, your poet begs
>
>The pounded yellow of two hard-boiled eggs;
>
>Two boiled potatoes, passed through kitchen-sieve,
>
>Smoothness and softness to the salad give;
>
>Let onion atoms lurk within the bowl,
>
>And, half-suspected, animate the whole.
>
>Of mordant mustard add a single spoon,
>
>Distrust the condiment that bites so soon;
>
>But deem it not, thou man of herbs, a fault,
>
>To add a double quantity of salt.
>
>And, lastly, o'er the flavoured compound toss
>
>A magic soup-spoon of anchovy sauce.
>
>Oh, green and glorious! Oh, herbaceous treat!
>
>'T would tempt the dying anchorite to eat;
>
>Back to the world he'd turn his fleeting soul,
>
>And plunge his fingers in the salad bowl!
>
>Serenely full, the epicure would say:
>
>Fate can not harm me, I have dined to-day!
>

>Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
>

>(From The Oxford Book of Comic Verse ed. John Gross. Oxford University
>Press. Published in the 18-Feb-95 issue of The Economist.)

There are so few postings these days on red.food.historic that I trust
you will forgive a pedant's contribution.

Where are the oil and vinegar in this recipe?

John Gross has been careless with Smith's poem it seems. In fact after
the line ending with 'quantity of salt' should come the lines:

"Four times the spoon with oil of Lucca crown,
And twice with vinegar procured from town;"

And there is a classic corruption of text in the quantity of anchovy
sauce - it is a 'magic soupçon' not soup-spoon.

The latest version of the poem has some interesting differences in
sentiment and quantities.

Pearson, H. The Smith of Smiths. The Hogarth Press; London 1984 on
page 328 gives what he claims is the 'last edition' of 1843:

Two large potatoes, passed through kitchen sieve,
Unwonted softness to the salad give;
Of mordent mustard, add a single spoon,
Distrust the condiment which bites so soon;
But deem it not, thou man of herbs, a fault,
To add a double quantity of salt:
Three times the spoon with oil of Lucca crown,
And once with vinegar, procured from town;
True flavour needs it, and your poet begs
The pounded yellow of two well-boiled eggs;
Let onion atoms lurk within the bowl,
And scarce suspected, animate the whole;
And lastly, on the flavoured compound toss
A magic tea spoon of anchovy sauce:
Then though green turtle fail, though venison's tough,
And ham and turkey are not boiled enough,
Serenely full, the Epicure may say -
Fate cannot harm me, - I have dined to-day.

Posted to rec.food.historic

"Richard Wright" > wrote

>>Fate can not harm me, I have dined to-day!
>>Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
>>(From The Oxford Book of Comic Verse ed. John Gross. Oxford University
>>Press. Published in the 18-Feb-95 issue of The Economist.)

> Where are the oil and vinegar in this recipe?

> John Gross has been careless with Smith's poem it seems. In fact after
> the line ending with 'quantity of salt' should come the lines:

> "Four times the spoon with oil of Lucca crown,
> And twice with vinegar procured from town;"
> And there is a classic corruption of text in the quantity of anchovy
> sauce - it is a 'magic soupçon' not soup-spoon.

Thanks for those. I seem to recall the "Lucca crown" bit but forget where I
saw it.

> The latest version of the poem has some interesting differences in
> sentiment and quantities.
> Pearson, H. The Smith of Smiths. The Hogarth Press; London 1984 on
> page 328 gives what he claims is the 'last edition' of 1843:
>
> Two large potatoes, passed through kitchen sieve,
> Unwonted softness to the salad give;
> Of mordent mustard, add a single spoon,
> Distrust the condiment which bites so soon;
> But deem it not, thou man of herbs, a fault,
> To add a double quantity of salt:
> Three times the spoon with oil of Lucca crown,
> And once with vinegar, procured from town;
> True flavour needs it, and your poet begs
> The pounded yellow of two well-boiled eggs;
> Let onion atoms lurk within the bowl,
> And scarce suspected, animate the whole;
> And lastly, on the flavoured compound toss
> A magic tea spoon of anchovy sauce:
> Then though green turtle fail, though venison's tough,
> And ham and turkey are not boiled enough,
> Serenely full, the Epicure may say -
> Fate cannot harm me, - I have dined to-day.

And thanks for that!

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to rec.food.historic,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

Richard Wright wrote in message ...

>There are so few postings these days on red.food.historic that I trust
>you will forgive a pedant's contribution.

NOOOO

>Where are the oil and vinegar in this recipe?

it has to be a joke

or like me he hates vinegar on his salads

>John Gross has been careless with Smith's poem it seems.

I would think he would go to Hollywood

>In fact after
>the line ending with 'quantity of salt' should come the lines:
>
>"Four times the spoon with oil of Lucca crown,
>And twice with vinegar procured from town;"
>
>And there is a classic corruption of text in the quantity of anchovy
>sauce - it is a 'magic soupçon' not soup-spoon.
>
>The latest version of the poem has some interesting differences in
>sentiment and quantities.
>
>Pearson, H. The Smith of Smiths. The Hogarth Press; London 1984 on
>page 328 gives what he claims is the 'last edition' of 1843:
>
>Two large potatoes, passed through kitchen sieve,
>Unwonted softness to the salad give;
>Of mordent mustard, add a single spoon,
>Distrust the condiment which bites so soon;
>But deem it not, thou man of herbs, a fault,
>To add a double quantity of salt:
>Three times the spoon with oil of Lucca crown,
>And once with vinegar, procured from town;
>True flavour needs it, and your poet begs
>The pounded yellow of two well-boiled eggs;
>Let onion atoms lurk within the bowl,
>And scarce suspected, animate the whole;
>And lastly, on the flavoured compound toss
>A magic tea spoon of anchovy sauce:
>Then though green turtle fail, though venison's tough,
>And ham and turkey are not boiled enough,
>Serenely full, the Epicure may say -
>Fate cannot harm me, - I have dined to-day.

have you ever watched Martha Stewart on Letterman

where Dave asked her how to spruce up his house and she said to buy fake
snow out of her catalog, and he whipped it out, and they had retouched it
so it said Holiday Crap

And then he asks her what to do with the abundance of rubber gloves in his
house and she tells him to glitter them and put them in the snow
and he says for what so it looks like someone died in an avalanche/

maybe Gross was the letterman of his day

mk5000

"we lunched separately. Megatron is a method actor. It's therefore wise to
keep one's distance when he's in character or he will vaporize you"--Optimus
Prime