FoodBanter.com

-   Historic (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/)
-   -   What are the roots of this spanish rice with cloves recipe? (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/116952-what-roots-spanish-rice.html)

Dora Smith 19-02-2007 03:45 PM

What are the roots of this spanish rice with cloves recipe?

What are the roots of this recipe for skillet spanish rice from the 1953
edition of the Better Homes and Garden cookbook (p 172)?

4 slices of bacon
1 cp chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 10 1/2 or 11 oz cans condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup rice (uncooked, pref medium grained)
1/2 cup water
4 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt

Cut bacon in small pieces, fry until crisp in heavy skillet, remove.

Cook onion and green pepper in bacon fat until golden. Add remaining
ingredietns; cover tightly and cook 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove
cloves and bay leaf; sprinkle crisp bacon over top. Makes 5-6 servings.

The cloves are a particularly quixotic idea.

Is American spanish rice really a creole dish, if so please elaborate, and
where did the notion of adding cloves come from?

--
Yours,
Dora Smith

Dora Smith 20-02-2007 04:25 AM

What are the roots of this spanish rice with cloves recipe?

In case anyone else should ever want to know, I updated my web pages.

http://www.geocities.com/tiggernut24...anishrice.html
http://www.geocities.com/tiggernut24...es/djuvec.html
http://www.geocities.com/tiggernut24...s/goulash.html

--