Old 25-07-2006, 11:44 AM posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

Default "Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
whiskey" be appropriate?

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks

Old 25-07-2006, 01:55 PM posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

Never heard of it; neither has the hubster.

-=D=-

--
"I'm still here, you *******s!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/

Old 25-07-2006, 03:59 PM posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

"Adam Funk" wrote

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
whiskey" be appropriate?

Yes.

--oTTo--

This'll be the day that I die

Old 25-07-2006, 04:01 PM posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

Never heard of it; neither has the hubster.

I thought it was a long shot anyway --- the book was written in the
1950s and the characters who mix it are Canadians living begrudgingly
in London with a fridge and other household equipment shipped over
because the UKian stuff isn't good enough.

Is Canadian whiskey generally rye-based?

Old 25-07-2006, 05:32 PM posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
whiskey" be appropriate?

As long as you're putting maple syrup in it, yes.

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.

Old 25-07-2006, 08:17 PM posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-25, Chris McGonnell wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.

I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

--
All your Basement are Dank to us!!!
Old 25-07-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:17:27 +0100, Adam Funk

On 2006-07-25, Chris McGonnell wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.

I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

Also see:

http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/...m_cocktail.htm

Don
Old 26-07-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

Ya gotta love Robert Service.

Francis A. Miniter

Old 26-07-2006, 11:23 AM posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

Adam Funk writes:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I ain't never heard of no such thing, which is odd because I *am*
a Canuckistanian who enjoys the odd tipple every now and then.

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent
"Canadian whiskey" be appropriate?

Yeah, but, uh, be letting us know when you find such a thing as a
'decent "Canadian whiskey"' would you please? About the only
thing that comes to mind is Canadian Club, which is, uh, the Baby
Duck of whiskeys.

--Dave
--
"But you've got to hand it to IBM, they know how to design
hardware. The servers all had handles to pick them up and throw

Old 26-07-2006, 01:09 PM posted to rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-25, Chris McGonnell wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.

I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

*Also see:

*http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/...m_cocktail.htm

*Don

Wonder if the Australian GS has a Banjo Patterson page.

http://www.the-rathouse.com/ClancyoftheOverflow.html

Ted

Old 26-07-2006, 03:24 PM posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-26, Dave Brown wrote:

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent
"Canadian whiskey" be appropriate?

Yeah, but, uh, be letting us know when you find such a thing as a
'decent "Canadian whiskey"' would you please? About the only
thing that comes to mind is Canadian Club, which is, uh, the Baby
Duck of whiskeys.

By "decent" I only meant decent enough to mix in a cocktail. Are
Canadian whiskeys all reputedly bad? (I haven't tried one in a long
time.)

Old 27-07-2006, 03:45 PM posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote

That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
"rye".

Canadian rye whiskey, while drinkable, is bullshit. It
might not have had any rye involved at all.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit producers
tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and Canadian distillers use
the spelling "whisky"?

That Tom Cruise movie "Whisky business" was American.

--oTTo--

Old 27-07-2006, 04:47 PM posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

Otto Bahn wrote:

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote

That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
"rye".

Canadian rye whiskey, while drinkable, is bullshit. It
might not have had any rye involved at all.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit producers
tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and Canadian distillers use
the spelling "whisky"?

That Tom Cruise movie "Whisky business" was American.

--oTTo--

:-)
You had me going there for a minute.

Francis A. Miniter