FoodBanter.com

-   General (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/)
-   -   "Canadian Lyric" cocktail? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/97092-canadian-lyric-cocktail.html)

Adam Funk 25-07-2006 11:44 AM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
whiskey" be appropriate?

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks

Darla Vladschyk 25-07-2006 01:55 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

Never heard of it; neither has the hubster.

-=D=-

--
"I'm still here, you *******s!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/

Otto Bahn[_2_] 25-07-2006 03:59 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

"Adam Funk" wrote

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
whiskey" be appropriate?

Yes.

--oTTo--

This'll be the day that I die

Adam Funk 25-07-2006 04:01 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

Never heard of it; neither has the hubster.

I thought it was a long shot anyway --- the book was written in the
1950s and the characters who mix it are Canadians living begrudgingly
in London with a fridge and other household equipment shipped over
because the UKian stuff isn't good enough.

Is Canadian whiskey generally rye-based?

Chris McGonnell[_1_] 25-07-2006 05:32 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
whiskey" be appropriate?

As long as you're putting maple syrup in it, yes.

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.

Adam Funk 25-07-2006 08:17 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-25, Chris McGonnell wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.

I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

--
All your Basement are Dank to us!!!

Don Tuite 25-07-2006 09:30 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:17:27 +0100, Adam Funk

On 2006-07-25, Chris McGonnell wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.

I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

Also see:

http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/...m_cocktail.htm

Don

Francis A. Miniter[_1_] 26-07-2006 03:08 AM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

Ya gotta love Robert Service.

Francis A. Miniter

Dave Brown 26-07-2006 11:23 AM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

Adam Funk writes:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I ain't never heard of no such thing, which is odd because I *am*
a Canuckistanian who enjoys the odd tipple every now and then.

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent
"Canadian whiskey" be appropriate?

Yeah, but, uh, be letting us know when you find such a thing as a
'decent "Canadian whiskey"' would you please? About the only
thing that comes to mind is Canadian Club, which is, uh, the Baby
Duck of whiskeys.

--Dave
--
"But you've got to hand it to IBM, they know how to design
hardware. The servers all had handles to pick them up and throw

[email protected] 26-07-2006 01:09 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-25, Chris McGonnell wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.

I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

*Also see:

*http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/...m_cocktail.htm

*Don

Wonder if the Australian GS has a Banjo Patterson page.

http://www.the-rathouse.com/ClancyoftheOverflow.html

Ted

Adam Funk 26-07-2006 03:24 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-26, Dave Brown wrote:

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent
"Canadian whiskey" be appropriate?

Yeah, but, uh, be letting us know when you find such a thing as a
'decent "Canadian whiskey"' would you please? About the only
thing that comes to mind is Canadian Club, which is, uh, the Baby
Duck of whiskeys.

By "decent" I only meant decent enough to mix in a cocktail. Are
Canadian whiskeys all reputedly bad? (I haven't tried one in a long
time.)

Adam Funk 27-07-2006 10:33 AM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-26, wrote:

By "decent" I only meant decent enough to mix in a cocktail. Are
Canadian whiskeys all reputedly bad? ...

No. They are all blends, but some aren't bad.

My Canadian relatives referred to all whiskey as "rye," regardless of
its origin or content.

That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
"rye".

--
The dark smell of dankness grew stronger and stronger.
(G.P.Taylor)

Francis A. Miniter 27-07-2006 03:35 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-26, wrote:

By "decent" I only meant decent enough to mix in a cocktail. Are
Canadian whiskeys all reputedly bad? ...

No. They are all blends, but some aren't bad.

My Canadian relatives referred to all whiskey as "rye," regardless of
its origin or content.

That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
"rye".

Now I am wondering about that line from "American Pie":

So bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my chevy to the levee
But the levee was dry
And them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I die, this'll be the day that I die.

Whisk(e)y _and_ rye?

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit
producers tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and
Canadian distillers use the spelling "whisky"?

Francis A. Miniter

Otto Bahn[_2_] 27-07-2006 03:45 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote

That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
"rye".

Canadian rye whiskey, while drinkable, is bullshit. It
might not have had any rye involved at all.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit producers
tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and Canadian distillers use
the spelling "whisky"?

That Tom Cruise movie "Whisky business" was American.

--oTTo--

Francis A. Miniter 27-07-2006 04:47 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

Otto Bahn wrote:

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote

That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
"rye".

Canadian rye whiskey, while drinkable, is bullshit. It
might not have had any rye involved at all.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit producers
tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and Canadian distillers use
the spelling "whisky"?

That Tom Cruise movie "Whisky business" was American.

--oTTo--

:-)
You had me going there for a minute.

Francis A. Miniter