Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

Default "Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
cocktail:

...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
shaken up with cracked ice.

It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
whiskey" be appropriate?

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk >
wrote:

>"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
>cocktail:
>
> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
> shaken up with cracked ice.
>
>It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

Never heard of it; neither has the hubster.

-=D=-

--
"I'm still here, you *******s!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

"Adam Funk" > wrote

> "A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
> cocktail:
>
> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
> shaken up with cracked ice.
>
> It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?
>
> I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
> labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
> whiskey" be appropriate?

Yes.

--oTTo--

This'll be the day that I die

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

On 2006-07-25, Darla Vladschyk > wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk >
> wrote:
>
>>"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
>>cocktail:
>>
>> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
>> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
>> shaken up with cracked ice.
>>
>>It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

> Never heard of it; neither has the hubster.

I thought it was a long shot anyway --- the book was written in the
1950s and the characters who mix it are Canadians living begrudgingly
in London with a fridge and other household equipment shipped over
because the UKian stuff isn't good enough.

Is Canadian whiskey generally rye-based?

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks
and tells how the Lorax was lifted away.
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

>"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
>cocktail:
>
> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
> shaken up with cracked ice.
>
>It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

>I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
>labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent "Canadian
>whiskey" be appropriate?

As long as you're putting maple syrup in it, yes.

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-25, Chris McGonnell > wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
>
>>"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
>>cocktail:
>>
>> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
>> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
>> shaken up with cracked ice.
>>
>>It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

> I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
> throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.

I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

--
All your Basement are Dank to us!!!
Posted to rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:17:27 +0100, Adam Funk >
wrote:

>On 2006-07-25, Chris McGonnell > wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:44:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:
>>
>>>"A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
>>>cocktail:
>>>
>>> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
>>> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
>>> shaken up with cracked ice.
>>>
>>>It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

>> I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
>> throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

>Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.
>
>I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
>all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

Also see:

http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/...m_cocktail.htm

Don
Posted to rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

Ya gotta love Robert Service.

Francis A. Miniter

Don Tuite wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:17:27 +0100, Adam Funk >
> wrote:

>>>I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
>>>throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

>>Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.
>>
>>I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
>>all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

> Also see:
>
> http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/...m_cocktail.htm
>
> Don

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink

Adam Funk > writes:

> "A Mixture of Frailties" by Robertson Davies mentions the following
> cocktail:
>
> ...the Canadian Lyric, a cocktail made of equal parts of lemion
> juice and maple syrup, added to a double portion of rye whisky, and
> shaken up with cracked ice.
>
> It isn't on teh interweb --- has anyone else heard of it?

I ain't never heard of no such thing, which is odd because I *am*
a Canuckistanian who enjoys the odd tipple every now and then.

> I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
> labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent
> "Canadian whiskey" be appropriate?

Yeah, but, uh, be letting us know when you find such a thing as a
'decent "Canadian whiskey"' would you please? About the only
thing that comes to mind is Canadian Club, which is, uh, the Baby
Duck of whiskeys.

--Dave
--
"But you've got to hand it to IBM, they know how to design
hardware. The servers all had handles to pick them up and throw

Posted to rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

Don Tuite wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:17:27 +0100, Adam Funk >
> wrote:

> >> I'll bet it's a Davies original -- part of his whimsy. Just don't
> >> throw a snowball with a stone inside it in Deptford.

> >Yes, that could start all sorts of trouble.
> >
> >I've really enjoyed his novels, but unfortunately I've now read them
> >all. I may try some of his other writings soon.

*Also see:

*http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/...m_cocktail.htm

*Don

Wonder if the Australian GS has a Banjo Patterson page.

http://www.the-rathouse.com/ClancyoftheOverflow.html

Ted

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-26, Dave Brown > wrote:

>> I think it sounds good, but I haven't seen anything specifically
>> labelled as rye whiskey here (in the UK). Would any decent
>> "Canadian whiskey" be appropriate?

> Yeah, but, uh, be letting us know when you find such a thing as a
> 'decent "Canadian whiskey"' would you please? About the only
> thing that comes to mind is Canadian Club, which is, uh, the Baby
> Duck of whiskeys.

By "decent" I only meant decent enough to mix in a cocktail. Are
Canadian whiskeys all reputedly bad? (I haven't tried one in a long
time.)

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks
and tells how the Lorax was lifted away.
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

"Francis A. Miniter" > wrote

>>That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
>>Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
>>"rye".

Canadian rye whiskey, while drinkable, is bullshit. It
might not have had any rye involved at all.

> By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit producers
> tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and Canadian distillers use
> the spelling "whisky"?

That Tom Cruise movie "Whisky business" was American.

--oTTo--

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

Otto Bahn wrote:

>"Francis A. Miniter" > wrote
>

>>>That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
>>>Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
>>>"rye".
>>>

>Canadian rye whiskey, while drinkable, is bullshit. It
>might not have had any rye involved at all.
>

>>By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit producers
>>tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and Canadian distillers use
>>the spelling "whisky"?
>>

>That Tom Cruise movie "Whisky business" was American.
>
>--oTTo--

:-)
You had me going there for a minute.

Francis A. Miniter

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:47:04 -0400, "Francis A. Miniter"
> wrote:

>Otto Bahn wrote:
>
>>"Francis A. Miniter" > wrote

>>Canadian rye whiskey, while drinkable, is bullshit. It
>>might not have had any rye involved at all.
>>

>>>By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit producers
>>>tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and Canadian distillers use
>>>the spelling "whisky"?
>>>

>>That Tom Cruise movie "Whisky business" was American.
>>
>>--oTTo--
>>

>:-)
>You had me going there for a minute.

Me, too. Not many people know that Tom Cruise is Canadian. Everyone
just assumes he's from the US.

--
"Danked," the past participle of "dank", is used to refer to someone
who replies to his own post on an online forum posing as another person
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

"Francis A. Miniter" > wrote

> :-) You had me going there for a minute.

It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
rye.

--oTTo--

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:59:16 -0400, Otto Bahn wrote:

>"Francis A. Miniter" > wrote
>
>> :-) You had me going there for a minute.

>It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
>rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
>Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
>rye.

Is that what "Comin' Through the Rye" really symbolizes?

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.
"My dog ate my gratitude journal." -- Paula

Posted to rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:16:48 -0400, Chris McGonnell
> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:59:16 -0400, Otto Bahn wrote:
>
>>"Francis A. Miniter" > wrote
>>
>>> :-) You had me going there for a minute.

>>It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
>>rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
>>Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
>>rye.

>Is that what "Comin' Through the Rye" really symbolizes?
>
>--

Comin Thro' the Rye (Third Version)1

1788

O gin a body meet a body
Comin throu the rye;
Gin a body f--k a body ,
Need a body cry.

Comin' thro' the rye, my jo ,
An' comin' thro' the rye,
She fand a staun o' staunin' graith ,
Comin' thro' the rye.

Gin a body meet a body ,
Comin' thro' the glen;
Gin a body f--k a body ,
Need the warld ken .

1: From "Merry Muse of Caledonia", a collection of Burns's bawdy verse

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-27, Chris McGonnell > wrote:

>>It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
>>rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
>>Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
>>rye.

> Is that what "The Catcher in the Rye" really symbolizes?

IFYPFY.

--
Vielen Dank

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-27, Otto Bahn > wrote:

> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
> rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
> Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
> rye.

Huh? Scotch is made from malted barley, smoked over peat.

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks
and tells how the Lorax was lifted away.
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-26, Chris McGonnell > wrote:

> There's a lot of short stories written about ghosts or murder at
> Christmas,

Ghost of Christmas past?

> which is some sort of Engerlish tradition that I'd never
> heard of before I received "Christmas Crimes" as a Christmas present
> last Christmas.

Hmm. Not sure about Christmas, but murder is as popular in TV
drama now as it was in novels and plays when Shepherd Mead wrote "How
to Live like a Lord".

--
The dark smell of dankness grew stronger and stronger.
[G.P. Taylor]
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

TimC > wrote
in

du.au:

> On 2006-07-29, Adam Funk (aka Bruce)
>> On 2006-07-27, Otto Bahn
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least
>>> 51% rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at
>>> all. The Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is
>>> generally all rye.

>> Huh? Scotch is made from malted barley, smoked over peat.

> And teh good stuff has a few litres of cough medicine
> added.

Single malt is an aquired taste, I've been told. I like it,
in small doses. Blended can be good, but I'm not much of a
scotch drinkler to start with, prefering booze I can dump into
a fruity or sour drink mix of some sort. Unless I'm doing
shots. Then I prefer vodka. I don't like cough medicine at
all, unless it has enough good drugs in it that I don't care
what it tastes like after the 1st does.

--
TeaLady (mari)

"The principle of Race is meant to embody and express the
utter negation of human freedom, the denial of equal rights, a
challenge in the face of mankind." A. Kolnai
Avast ye scurvy dogs ! Thar be no disease in this message.
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-27, Francis A. Miniter > wrote:

> By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit
> producers tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and
> Canadian distillers use the spelling "whisky"?

Kingsley Amis in "On Drink" specifies "bourbon whiskey" in his whiskey
collins recipe, with the note:

For once, you can use rye or Irish whiskey or Scotch whisky* if you
feel like it.

and the footnote:

* Fact for the factually-minded: only Scotch may be legally be spelt
without the 'e'.

Incidentally, his note for the Old-Fashioned reads:

You really have to use bourbon. The Rye Old-Fashioned is not too
bad; the Irish version just tolerable; the Scotch one not worth
while.

--
Vielen Dank
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

"Adam Funk" > wrote

>> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
>> rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
>> Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
>> rye.

> Huh? Scotch is made from malted barley, smoked over peat.

I meant Scottish stuff.

--oTTo--

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-30, Otto Bahn > wrote:

> I meant Scottish stuff.

Oh, kilt fabric. Yes, that's made from 60% rye, 5% flax, 35% wool.

--
The dark smell of dankness grew stronger and stronger.
[G.P. Taylor]
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:03:35 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

>On 2006-07-26, Chris McGonnell > wrote:
>
>> There's a lot of short stories written about ghosts or murder at
>> Christmas,

>Ghost of Christmas past?

Yep. "A Christmas Carol" is one cited as an early tale. It's longer
than it should be because Dickens was being paid by the word.

>> which is some sort of Engerlish tradition that I'd never
>> heard of before I received "Christmas Crimes" as a Christmas present
>> last Christmas.

>Hmm. Not sure about Christmas, but murder is as popular in TV
>drama now as it was in novels and plays when Shepherd Mead wrote "How
>to Live like a Lord".

No, mystery or ghost stories set during Christmas, which is some kind
of tradition. Conan Doyle's "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle" is
one. Some of Davies' stories were printed in Ellery Queen's Mystery
Magazine -- December issue, of course.

I think murder on television died with Angela Lansbury.

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.
"My dog ate my gratitude journal." -- Paula

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

"Chris McGonnell" > wrote

> I think murder on television died with Angela Lansbury.

Law And Order morphed into Law And Sex Crimes which morphed
into CSI which morphed into CSI-[Insert City] which morphed
into Reno-911...

Every generation has its cop show, and every generation has
its CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU?! If it weren't for Nickelodeon,
you might be the only who got that reference.

Murder, She Wrote was just a crime against humanity.

--oTTo--

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-31, Chris McGonnell > wrote:

> Yep. "A Christmas Carol" is one cited as an early tale. It's longer
> than it should be because Dickens was being paid by the word.

Just don't let Dan Brown hear about that scheme. Never mind, it's too
late.

> I think murder on television died with Angela Lansbury.

Without doing any "research" (i.e. googling) I can think of a number
of fairly recent UKian murder drama series: "Foyle's War", "Midsomer
Murders", "A Touch of Frost", "Jonathan Creek" (not always murder).

--
Vielen Dank
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-30, TeaLady (Mari C.) > wrote:

> Single malt is an aquired taste, I've been told. I like it,
> in small doses.

Hey, so do I! And in large doses sometimes.

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks
and tells how the Lorax was lifted away. [Dr. Seuss]

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On 2006-07-27, Otto Bahn > wrote:

> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
> rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
> Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
> rye.

According to McGee _On Food and Cooking_ (second edition), in the
section "American and Canadian Whiskeys":

North American whiskeys are produced mainly from the New World's
indigenous grain, maize.

[...stuff about bourbon, which is made mainly from maize...]

Canadian whiskeys are among the mildest and most delicate of the
spirits made from grains. They are a blend of a light-flavored
column-distilled grain whiskey with small amounts of strongers
whiskeys. They can also include wines, rum, and brandy, up to 9% of
the blend. They're aged a minimum of three years in used oak casks.

Comments?

--
When Toad found himself immured in a dank and noisome dungeon, ... he
flung himself at full length on the floor, and shed bitter tears, and
Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

Adam Funk wrote:
> They're aged a minimum of three years in used oak casks.
>
> Comments?

Context Away wonders what the oak casks were used for, and
why Dr. Pepper only comes in cans and bottles.
Posted to rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

"Marc Goodman" > wrote in message
news:Opidne2Ij_S2kUrZnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d@newedgenetwo rks.com...

> Context Away wonders what the oak casks were used for, and
> why Dr. Pepper only comes in cans and bottles.

Whiskey is aged in wood barrels: preferably those used
earlier for storing such wines as bordeaux and sherry.
The practice may have begun in the 18th century for
reasons of economy: second-hand French or Portuguese
barrels (first used to transport wine to Britain in bulk) were
cheaper than new barrels.

Aging in wood is desirable since new whiskey is unfit
to drink after a single run through the still. It becomes
palatable after some years' aging and whiskey makers
discovered that used barrels (soaked earlier with wine)
make the spirit smoother without altering its flavour.
(Aware of this, moonshine distillers often distil their
product twice in order to make it drinkable immediately;
this succeeds at the price of reduced volume.)

Bottlers of flavoured soda water do not encounter this
because their product does not improve with age,
like wines and spirits.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

"Adam Funk" > wrote

>> It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
>> rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
>> Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
>> rye.

> According to McGee _On Food and Cooking_ (second edition), in the
> section "American and Canadian Whiskeys":
>
> North American whiskeys are produced mainly from the New World's
> indigenous grain, maize.
>
> [...stuff about bourbon, which is made mainly from maize...]
>
> Canadian whiskeys are among the mildest and most delicate of the
> spirits made from grains. They are a blend of a light-flavored
> column-distilled grain whiskey with small amounts of strongers
> whiskeys. They can also include wines, rum, and brandy, up to 9% of
> the blend. They're aged a minimum of three years in used oak casks.
>
> Comments?

Wikipedia can NOT be wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

Well, it can be wrong, but it is self-correcting. Usually.

--oTTo--

Posted to rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

Don Phillipson wrote:
> > Adam Funk wrote:
> > > They're aged a minimum of three years in used oak casks.

> "Marc Goodman" > wrote in message
> news:Opidne2Ij_S2kUrZnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d@newedgenetwo rks.com...
>
> > Context Away wonders what the oak casks were used for, and
> > why Dr. Pepper only comes in cans and bottles.

> Whiskey is aged in wood barrels: preferably those used
> earlier for storing such wines as bordeaux and sherry.

Maybe in Canada they do this, but,IIRC, in the US, whiskey has to be
put in new barrels that have been charred on the inside.

J. Del Col

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2006-07-26, Chris McGonnell > wrote:
>
> > There's a lot of short stories written about ghosts or murder at
> > Christmas,

> Ghost of Christmas past?
>
> > which is some sort of Engerlish tradition that I'd never
> > heard of before I received "Christmas Crimes" as a Christmas present
> > last Christmas.

> Hmm. Not sure about Christmas, but murder is as popular in TV
> drama now as it was in novels and plays when Shepherd Mead wrote "How
> to Live like a Lord".

Not . . . "How to Die Like the Lord" . . . ?

David Loftus

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

TeaLady (Mari C.) wrote:

> Single malt is an aquired taste, I've been told. I like it,
> in small doses. Blended can be good, but I'm not much of a
> scotch drinkler

Sort of like being a tippler, yes?

Posted to alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.drink,rec.arts.books

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 05:47:23 -0400, Marc Goodman
> wrote:

>Adam Funk wrote:
>> They're aged a minimum of three years in used oak casks.
>>
>> Comments?

>Context Away wonders what the oak casks were used for,

For storing oak, moron. Like, duh!