FoodBanter.com

-   General (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/)
-   -   "Canadian Lyric" cocktail? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/97092-canadian-lyric-cocktail.html)

Kevin S. Wilson 27-07-2006 04:54 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:47:04 -0400, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

Otto Bahn wrote:

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote

That agrees with the impression I got: that in the sections of the
Salterton Trilogy set in Canada the only term used for whiskey was
"rye".

Canadian rye whiskey, while drinkable, is bullshit. It
might not have had any rye involved at all.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit producers
tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and Canadian distillers use
the spelling "whisky"?

That Tom Cruise movie "Whisky business" was American.

--oTTo--

:-)
You had me going there for a minute.

Me, too. Not many people know that Tom Cruise is Canadian. Everyone
just assumes he's from the US.

--
"Danked," the past participle of "dank", is used to refer to someone
who replies to his own post on an online forum posing as another person

Otto Bahn[_2_] 27-07-2006 04:59 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote

:-) You had me going there for a minute.

It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
rye.

--oTTo--

Chris McGonnell[_1_] 27-07-2006 05:16 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:59:16 -0400, Otto Bahn wrote:

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote

:-) You had me going there for a minute.

It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
rye.

Is that what "Comin' Through the Rye" really symbolizes?

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.

Don Tuite 27-07-2006 06:29 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:16:48 -0400, Chris McGonnell
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:59:16 -0400, Otto Bahn wrote:

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote

:-) You had me going there for a minute.

It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
rye.

Is that what "Comin' Through the Rye" really symbolizes?

--

Comin Thro' the Rye (Third Version)1

1788

O gin a body meet a body
Comin throu the rye;
Gin a body f--k a body ,
Need a body cry.

Comin' thro' the rye, my jo ,
An' comin' thro' the rye,
She fand a staun o' staunin' graith ,
Comin' thro' the rye.

Gin a body meet a body ,
Comin' thro' the glen;
Gin a body f--k a body ,
Need the warld ken .

1: From "Merry Muse of Caledonia", a collection of Burns's bawdy verse

Adam Funk 29-07-2006 09:44 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-27, Chris McGonnell wrote:

It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
rye.

Is that what "The Catcher in the Rye" really symbolizes?

IFYPFY.

--
Vielen Dank

Adam Funk 29-07-2006 09:49 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-27, Otto Bahn wrote:

It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
rye.

Huh? Scotch is made from malted barley, smoked over peat.

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks

Adam Funk 29-07-2006 10:03 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-26, Chris McGonnell wrote:

There's a lot of short stories written about ghosts or murder at
Christmas,

Ghost of Christmas past?

which is some sort of Engerlish tradition that I'd never
heard of before I received "Christmas Crimes" as a Christmas present
last Christmas.

Hmm. Not sure about Christmas, but murder is as popular in TV
drama now as it was in novels and plays when Shepherd Mead wrote "How
to Live like a Lord".

--
The dark smell of dankness grew stronger and stronger.
[G.P. Taylor]

TeaLady (Mari C.) 30-07-2006 04:41 AM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

TimC wrote
in

du.au:

On 2006-07-29, Adam Funk (aka Bruce)
On 2006-07-27, Otto Bahn
wrote:

It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least
51% rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at
all. The Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is
generally all rye.

Huh? Scotch is made from malted barley, smoked over peat.

And teh good stuff has a few litres of cough medicine
added.

Single malt is an aquired taste, I've been told. I like it,
in small doses. Blended can be good, but I'm not much of a
scotch drinkler to start with, prefering booze I can dump into
a fruity or sour drink mix of some sort. Unless I'm doing
shots. Then I prefer vodka. I don't like cough medicine at
all, unless it has enough good drugs in it that I don't care
what it tastes like after the 1st does.

--
TeaLady (mari)

"The principle of Race is meant to embody and express the
utter negation of human freedom, the denial of equal rights, a
challenge in the face of mankind." A. Kolnai
Avast ye scurvy dogs ! Thar be no disease in this message.

Adam Funk 30-07-2006 01:37 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-27, Francis A. Miniter wrote:

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Irish and American spirit
producers tend to use the spelling "whiskey" while the Scots and
Canadian distillers use the spelling "whisky"?

Kingsley Amis in "On Drink" specifies "bourbon whiskey" in his whiskey
collins recipe, with the note:

For once, you can use rye or Irish whiskey or Scotch whisky* if you
feel like it.

and the footnote:

* Fact for the factually-minded: only Scotch may be legally be spelt
without the 'e'.

Incidentally, his note for the Old-Fashioned reads:

You really have to use bourbon. The Rye Old-Fashioned is not too
bad; the Irish version just tolerable; the Scotch one not worth
while.

--
Vielen Dank

Otto Bahn[_2_] 31-07-2006 12:17 AM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

"Adam Funk" wrote

It's true -- American whiskey has to made from at least 51%
rye, while the Canadian stuff may not have any at all. The
Scotch stuff, unlike it's mispelled cousin, is generally all
rye.

Huh? Scotch is made from malted barley, smoked over peat.

I meant Scottish stuff.

--oTTo--

Adam Funk 31-07-2006 11:03 AM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-30, Otto Bahn wrote:

I meant Scottish stuff.

Oh, kilt fabric. Yes, that's made from 60% rye, 5% flax, 35% wool.

Chris McGonnell[_1_] 31-07-2006 06:15 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-26, Chris McGonnell wrote:

There's a lot of short stories written about ghosts or murder at
Christmas,

Ghost of Christmas past?

Yep. "A Christmas Carol" is one cited as an early tale. It's longer
than it should be because Dickens was being paid by the word.

which is some sort of Engerlish tradition that I'd never
heard of before I received "Christmas Crimes" as a Christmas present
last Christmas.

Hmm. Not sure about Christmas, but murder is as popular in TV
drama now as it was in novels and plays when Shepherd Mead wrote "How
to Live like a Lord".

No, mystery or ghost stories set during Christmas, which is some kind
of tradition. Conan Doyle's "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle" is
one. Some of Davies' stories were printed in Ellery Queen's Mystery
Magazine -- December issue, of course.

I think murder on television died with Angela Lansbury.

Otto Bahn[_3_] 31-07-2006 06:53 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

"Chris McGonnell" wrote

I think murder on television died with Angela Lansbury.

Law And Order morphed into Law And Sex Crimes which morphed
into CSI which morphed into CSI-[Insert City] which morphed
into Reno-911...

Every generation has its cop show, and every generation has
its CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU?! If it weren't for Nickelodeon,
you might be the only who got that reference.

Murder, She Wrote was just a crime against humanity.

--oTTo--

Adam Funk 31-07-2006 07:11 PM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-31, Chris McGonnell wrote:

Yep. "A Christmas Carol" is one cited as an early tale. It's longer
than it should be because Dickens was being paid by the word.

Just don't let Dan Brown hear about that scheme. Never mind, it's too
late.

I think murder on television died with Angela Lansbury.

Without doing any "research" (i.e. googling) I can think of a number
of fairly recent UKian murder drama series: "Foyle's War", "Midsomer
Murders", "A Touch of Frost", "Jonathan Creek" (not always murder).

--
Vielen Dank

Adam Funk 01-08-2006 10:14 AM

"Canadian Lyric" cocktail?

On 2006-07-30, TeaLady (Mari C.) wrote:

Single malt is an aquired taste, I've been told. I like it,
in small doses.

Hey, so do I! And in large doses sometimes.

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks
and tells how the Lorax was lifted away. [Dr. Seuss]