FoodBanter.com

-   General (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/)
-   -   100% Natural? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/93209-100-natural.html)

Steve Johnsenson[_1_] 05-06-2006 01:47 AM

100% Natural?

http://www.7up.com/

"filtered carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, natural citric
acid, natural flavors, natural potassium citrate"

just keep tacking the word natural on the front of everything....

whatever happened to good old fashioned sugar anyway?

Dr. HotSalt 05-06-2006 08:23 AM

100% Natural?

Steve Johnsenson wrote:
http://www.7up.com/

"filtered carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, natural citric
acid, natural flavors, natural potassium citrate"

just keep tacking the word natural on the front of everything....

whatever happened to good old fashioned sugar anyway?

Too hard to synthesize.

Dr. HotSalt

Steve Johnsenson[_1_] 06-06-2006 03:20 AM

100% Natural?

Dr. HotSalt wrote:
Steve Johnsenson wrote:
http://www.7up.com/

"filtered carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, natural citric
acid, natural flavors, natural potassium citrate"

just keep tacking the word natural on the front of everything....

whatever happened to good old fashioned sugar anyway?

Too hard to synthesize.

How's that?

Are there any soft drinks distributed in the U.S. that use real sugar?

Kent Paul Dolan 06-06-2006 07:45 AM

100% Natural?

"Steve Johnsenson" wrote:

Are there any soft drinks distributed in the U.S.
that use real sugar?

The majority of them by sales volume, which, along
with the huge quantities of soft drinks consumed, is
a major part of the reason why 66% of adults in this
country are obese.

For example, convenience stores here sell "single
serving" soft drinks in a size close to two liters
(1.87, if I recall the conversion correctly), which
"contains enough sugar to cause diabetis in one
dose" (well, not quite, but...).

Only a minority of U.S. soft drink imbibers choose
the artificially sweetened versions.

xanthian, says, snacking on creme filled cookies and
30#/14kg overweight.

Gunther Anderson 07-06-2006 02:29 AM

100% Natural?

Steve Johnsenson wrote:

Dr. HotSalt wrote:

Steve Johnsenson wrote:

http://www.7up.com/

"filtered carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, natural citric
acid, natural flavors, natural potassium citrate"

just keep tacking the word natural on the front of everything....

whatever happened to good old fashioned sugar anyway?

Too hard to synthesize.

How's that?

Are there any soft drinks distributed in the U.S. that use real sugar?

Apparently, the real reason is the farm subsidies pad to corn growers,
which makes corn amazingly inexpensive to produce. So corn sugar
becomes significantly cheaper than cane sugar, which is why it's
everywhere now, and why corn is the standard cattle feed now, even
though it's nt all that good for cows.

But I have no idea if there are any major sodas that use sugar. I'd
expect that plenty of small, boutique or regional makers use sugar, if
for no better reason than to distinguish themselves from the majors.

Gunther Anderson

Dr. HotSalt 07-06-2006 03:50 PM

100% Natural?

Gunther Anderson wrote:
Steve Johnsenson wrote:

Dr. HotSalt wrote:

Steve Johnsenson wrote:

http://www.7up.com/

"filtered carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, natural citric
acid, natural flavors, natural potassium citrate"

just keep tacking the word natural on the front of everything....

whatever happened to good old fashioned sugar anyway?

Too hard to synthesize.

How's that?

It was a JOAK!!11!!!

Are there any soft drinks distributed in the U.S. that use real sugar?

Apparently, the real reason is the farm subsidies pad to corn growers,
which makes corn amazingly inexpensive to produce. So corn sugar
becomes significantly cheaper than cane sugar, which is why it's
everywhere now, and why corn is the standard cattle feed now, even
though it's nt all that good for cows.

Yes indeed. **** you very much, Arthur Daniels Midland et al.

Corn isn't all that good a food for humans either; remember Chiun
forbade Remo to use it and talked about its "seductive lure".

But I have no idea if there are any major sodas that use sugar. I'd
expect that plenty of small, boutique or regional makers use sugar, if
for no better reason than to distinguish themselves from the majors.

Here in PHX AZ you can go to certain "Mexican Stores" and buy Coke
imported from Mexico; it's made with cane sugar and tastes like Coke
used to before corn sugar took over.

Dr. HotSalt

Robbie Hatley 11-06-2006 12:06 PM

100% Natural?

Kent sez...

"Steve Johnsenson" wrote:

Are there any soft drinks distributed in the U.S.
that use real sugar?

The majority of them by sales volume, which, along
with the huge quantities of soft drinks consumed, is
a major part of the reason why 66% of adults in this
country are obese.

::does doubletake::

Yikes, I was looking on info. about Tequila, and I find...
Kent Paul Dolan. :-) You sure do get around. Where will
I see you next, rec.vehicles.norwegian-pogo-sticks ?

Anyway... sugar... ok at nighttime, but if I eat it in
the day, it puts me to sleep.

Re. colas (and other such soft drinks), I don't like em;
too acidic, too bubbly, too harsh. Gimme coffee, tea,
milk, wine... or tequila. Or water. (Real water, not
the revolting clorox they pipe to our homes.)

For example, convenience stores here sell "single
serving" soft drinks in a size close to two liters
(1.87, if I recall the conversion correctly), which
"contains enough sugar to cause diabetis in one
dose" (well, not quite, but...).

Who sez that's supposed to be "single-serving"? I don't
recall seeing any such thing on 2-liter soft-drink bottles.

And where are you getting 1.87-liter soft drinks? Most of
the soft drinks I've seen on store shelves the last 20 years
have been 0.75, 1.00, 1.50, or 2.00 liters. Just curious.

--
Robbie Hatley
East Tustin, CA, USA