FoodBanter.com

-   General (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/)
-   -   Still can't get sparks in Bailey's Comet (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/88899-still-cant-get-sparks.html)

John Hall 17-04-2006 12:23 AM

Still can't get sparks in Bailey's Comet

I've been trying several variations of Bailey's Comet over the past two
years. The best made sparks about one inch high, but I don't recall the
details of that test.

The latest series of tests used Bailey's, Goldschlager, and
96%-by-volume Polish Spirit. The ground cinnamon just falls to the
bottom of the Polish Spirit layer and I get no sparks at all.

It seems to me that the cinnamon (or nutmeg) spark-fuel needs to either
remain in suspension or float on the surface, so that it gets entrained
in the rising vapour/flame to dry out and burn with a bright glow.

I suspect it's connected to the size or type of spark-fuel, as the
flaming part of the deal is working very well, but nothing I've tried is
any good for the sparks.

Has anyone here got a working version?
If so, will you please tell _exactly_ what makes the difference?