Posted to rec.food.drink

Default Is it bad to pre-mix Long Island Ice Teas?

Hi,

We drink Long Island Ice Tea a lot. Is it bad to pre-mix the
rum,tequila, gin, vodka, and tripple sec? What about also including the
sour mix in the pre-mix?

What if it sat for a few weeks?

Including the sour mix would mean it would require refrigeration.

Thanks,
John

Posted to rec.food.drink

Also sprach :

> We drink Long Island Ice Tea a lot. Is it bad to pre-mix the
> rum,tequila, gin, vodka, and tripple sec?

Such a pre-mix certainly wont go bad, even when stored for years.

> What about also including the sour mix in the pre-mix?

Where I come from, there is no sour mix involved. Instead, we use
freshly squeezed lemon juice without any addition of basic syrup. The
sweetness comes from the Cola (and to a small extent from the Triple
Sec).

> What if it sat for a few weeks?

Lemon juice (or sour mix for that matter and if you insist) should be as
fresh as possible. Also, the Long Island gets a thick fluffy crown
similar to a Fizz when shaked thoroughly enough. To me this is integral
part of this drink and this you wont get when pre-making anything.

> Including the sour mix would mean it would require refrigeration.

I'd even keep a pre-mix without sour mix chilled. This is something I do
with all the liquors even though they'd last years or even decades due
to their amount of alcohol. It's generally a good idea to keep all
liquid ingredients cool because otherwise a fair amount of the ice you
put into the shaker will dissolve during the shaking, resulting in
watery drinks.

In a nutshell: I'd always try to mix a Long Island Ice Tea fresh even
when it's a little annoying due to the five different liquors involved.
But this drink is so splendid that it deserves a little bit of extra
effort.

Tassilo
--
use bigint;
$n=71423350343770280161397026330337371139054411854 220053437565440;
Posted to rec.food.drink

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm taking your advice and will not use sour mix. I don't like all the
high fructose corn syrup anyway.

So what is your recipe? Do you use some sort of sugar?

Do you use equal parts rum, tequila, gin, vodka, and tripple sec?

THANKS!!!!
John

limousine in long island aden jhon Restaurants 0 21-06-2011 06:24 AM
TN: Dog birthday party with Long Island Merlot (plus 08 QbA) DaleW Wine 3 01-02-2010 02:15 PM
Long Island, New York wineries Midlife Wine 1 01-06-2005 06:18 PM
long island ice tea cherry General 1 17-08-2004 04:56 PM
Long Island Ice Tea cherry Coffee 5 26-07-2004 09:17 AM