FoodBanter.com

-   General (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/)
-   -   Is it bad to pre-mix Long Island Ice Teas? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/85581-bad-pre-mix-long.html)

[email protected] 12-03-2006 06:57 PM

Is it bad to pre-mix Long Island Ice Teas?

Hi,

We drink Long Island Ice Tea a lot. Is it bad to pre-mix the
rum,tequila, gin, vodka, and tripple sec? What about also including the
sour mix in the pre-mix?

What if it sat for a few weeks?

Including the sour mix would mean it would require refrigeration.

Thanks,
John

Tassilo v. Parseval 12-03-2006 10:01 PM

Is it bad to pre-mix Long Island Ice Teas?

Also sprach :

> We drink Long Island Ice Tea a lot. Is it bad to pre-mix the
> rum,tequila, gin, vodka, and tripple sec?

Such a pre-mix certainly wont go bad, even when stored for years.

> What about also including the sour mix in the pre-mix?

Where I come from, there is no sour mix involved. Instead, we use
freshly squeezed lemon juice without any addition of basic syrup. The
sweetness comes from the Cola (and to a small extent from the Triple
Sec).

> What if it sat for a few weeks?

Lemon juice (or sour mix for that matter and if you insist) should be as
fresh as possible. Also, the Long Island gets a thick fluffy crown
similar to a Fizz when shaked thoroughly enough. To me this is integral
part of this drink and this you wont get when pre-making anything.

> Including the sour mix would mean it would require refrigeration.

I'd even keep a pre-mix without sour mix chilled. This is something I do
with all the liquors even though they'd last years or even decades due
to their amount of alcohol. It's generally a good idea to keep all
liquid ingredients cool because otherwise a fair amount of the ice you
put into the shaker will dissolve during the shaking, resulting in
watery drinks.

In a nutshell: I'd always try to mix a Long Island Ice Tea fresh even
when it's a little annoying due to the five different liquors involved.
But this drink is so splendid that it deserves a little bit of extra
effort.

Tassilo
--
use bigint;
$n=71423350343770280161397026330337371139054411854 220053437565440;

[email protected] 14-03-2006 03:15 AM

Is it bad to pre-mix Long Island Ice Teas?

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm taking your advice and will not use sour mix. I don't like all the
high fructose corn syrup anyway.

So what is your recipe? Do you use some sort of sugar?

Do you use equal parts rum, tequila, gin, vodka, and tripple sec?

THANKS!!!!
John

Tassilo v. Parseval 14-03-2006 07:17 AM

Is it bad to pre-mix Long Island Ice Teas?

Also sprach :
> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
> I'm taking your advice and will not use sour mix. I don't like all the
> high fructose corn syrup anyway.

Nonetheless, there's nothing wrong with just trying what happens when
pre-making certain parts of the drink. Maybe it isn't as bad as I
think it will be.

> So what is your recipe? Do you use some sort of sugar?

No additional sugar in any form. I usually take:

2/3 oz. vodka
2/3 oz. Cointreau
2/3 oz. rum
2/3 oz. tequila
2/3 oz. gin
1 1/3 oz. lemon juice

Shake the above ingredients with four ice cubs, strain into a long-drink
glass with four ice cubs (mine is actually a little bigger than the
convential glass; around 8 1/2 oz.) and fill with Coca Cola so that the
fluffy crown exceeds the glass brim. I use Coca Cola light or even the
decaf version which both work very well.

> Do you use equal parts rum, tequila, gin, vodka, and tripple sec?

Yes, which also makes it easy to memorize this receipe. :-) Note that I
am using Cointreau which is just a tad sweeter than triple sec. Probably
it doesn't make such a difference for a drink with five different
liquors.

Tassilo
--
use bigint;
$n=71423350343770280161397026330337371139054411854 220053437565440;
$m=-8,;;$_=$n&(0xff)<<$m,,$_>>=$m,,print+chr,,while(($ m+=8)<=200);

29-03-2006 11:50 PM

wrote:
: Hi,

: We drink Long Island Ice Tea a lot. Is it bad to pre-mix the
: rum,tequila, gin, vodka, and tripple sec? What about also including the
: sour mix in the pre-mix?

: What if it sat for a few weeks?

: Including the sour mix would mean it would require refrigeration.

: Thanks,
: John

I'd premix them for the day or so but not keep it for a week. The lemon
gets a bit weird as it gets aged.

I once had a party where we made Long Island Ice Teas in a nice, innocent
glass picture (similar to the U.S. "Kool Aid" pictures of sorts). Complete
with floating lemon slices and a lot of ice to the point where the picture
"sweated" on the outside.

It was a very notable party I'll add and I got many compliments about it.

Those were the days.....

b.