Default Trader Vic's mai tai fixings

Hi,

I've read the history of the mai tai, etc.

Wanted to know if it's possible to purchase Trader Vic's rum variety at any
liquor stores or if it's done only at the restaurant/bars? Also same
goes for the mix (yes, I know the older recipes and will revert to them
if it'll save me a long drive).

b.
Robert Klute

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:54:30 -0700, > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've read the history of the mai tai, etc.
>
>Wanted to know if it's possible to purchase Trader Vic's rum variety at any
>liquor stores or if it's done only at the restaurant/bars? Also same
>goes for the mix (yes, I know the older recipes and will revert to them
>if it'll save me a long drive).

The "original" rums are no longer available. Vic changed the recipe
over the years as the taste of the rums changed.

Originally he used a 17 year old J. Wray Nephew Jamaican rum but then
had to substitute a 15 year old version. When that became difficult to
get ahold of, he then did an equal mix of the 15yr old and Red Heart or
Coruba rum. He finally wound up contracting for his own private blend
with a Martinique rum added.

I would use an equal mix of an 8+ yr old, medium bodied, Jamaican rum
and a Martinique rum, like St James,

Original recipe
2 oz 17yr-old J Wray Nephew Jamaican Rum
1/2 oz French Garnier Orgeat
1/2 oz DeKuyper Orange Curacao
1/3 oz Rock Candy Syrup
Juice of one fresh lime (hand squeeze into shaker, so some oils are
added).

Add ingredients to shaker with generous amount of shaved ice. Hand
shake. Garnish glass with 1/2 lime of the lime shell and float a sprig
of fresh mint at the edge of the glass.