FoodBanter.com

-   General (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/)
-   -   Tea with Milk and Sugar (or Honey, Lemon, et·cet·er·a and so forth... (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/66962-tea-milk-sugar-honey.html)

Steve Johnsenson 04-08-2005 09:45 PM

Tea with Milk and Sugar (or Honey, Lemon, et·cet·er·a and so forth...

Are british style black teas like Earl Grey and English Breakfast the
only teas commonly served with milk and sugar?

Are there any chinese teas that get sweetened, creamed, or lemoned?

Aloke Prasad 05-08-2005 12:56 AM

Every tea consumed in India is served with milk and sugar (lots of it :-)
It's mostly Assam or Darjeeling black teas.
--
Aloke
----

oups.com...

Ozzy 05-08-2005 01:23 AM

"Aloke Prasad" > wrote in news:6XxIe.45373
:

> Every tea consumed in India is served with milk and sugar (lots of it :-)
> It's mostly Assam or Darjeeling black teas.

Indian chai, with milk, spice and Jaggery sugar -- yes indeed!

Chinese black tea can be served with milk (see
<http://int.kateigaho.com/spr05/tea-chinese-black.html> -- though I imagine
most dairy-eschewing Chinese don't do that -- still, the British
transplanted tea from China to Darjeeling & Assam in the first place, and
maybe they got the serving idea from China too.

The Tibetans drink black brick tea with butter, milk, and salt -- not bad,
actually, no matter how it sounds.

I don't know of any non-black Chinese tea traditionally served that way, but
then "I am only an egg" in the department of traditional Chinese teas.

Ozzy

Lara Burton 05-08-2005 01:24 AM

Although I don't like sweetened tea, many mint green teas (esp. in North
Africa area, Middle East) are very sweet. I don't know if Chinese teas are
used there, however, in the US I've often seen gunpowder green flavored with
mint.

. ..

Scott Dorsey 05-08-2005 02:47 AM

Steve Johnsenson > wrote:
>Are british style black teas like Earl Grey and English Breakfast the
>only teas commonly served with milk and sugar?
>
>Are there any chinese teas that get sweetened, creamed, or lemoned?

There are plenty of British-style teas that are actually Chinese.
Prince of Wales is secretly a Chinese black tea blend in disguise.
If you're into the whole cream thing, you could do it to a black
Yunnan too. It would have to be a pretty robust tea to stand up
to it, though.
--scott

Scott Dorsey 05-08-2005 02:48 AM

Ozzy > wrote:

>The Tibetans drink black brick tea with butter, milk, and salt -- not bad,
>actually, no matter how it sounds.

It's not just ANY butter, though.

It's YAK butter.

And it's not just any yak butter either.

It's RANCID yak butter.
--scott

Rob 05-08-2005 05:05 AM

Most British people will add milk to any kind of black tea. They just
cannot imagine drinking tea without it. Historically, most of the tea
that was imported into Britain was Indian tea, like Assam, which is
very strong. Milk mellows it out a bit. It's become a habit with most
Brits (98% of them add milk to their tea), and they will add milk even
when trying a milder type of tea like Darjeeliing.

Most China Black teas do not need milk, IMO, but if you like it, feel
free to do so. For best results, make sure it is really milk - not
half-and-half, not coffee creamer, and not cream. Only "true" milk has
sufficient casein to bind with the tannin in tea. Cream and non-dairy
creamers will completely overwhelm the flavor of the tea.

Ozzy 05-08-2005 07:45 AM

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in
:

> Ozzy > wrote:
>>
>>The Tibetans drink black brick tea with butter, milk, and salt -- not
>>bad, actually, no matter how it sounds.

> It's not just ANY butter, though.
>
> It's YAK butter.
>
> And it's not just any yak butter either.
>
> It's RANCID yak butter.
> --scott

I don't know that Yak butter of the authenic degree of rancidity could have
been easily come across in the restaurant where I used to try it. :-)
(Never can tell, though.) Anyway, I used to like it, but not in the
summertime, for obvious reasons.

Ozzy

Scott Dorsey 05-08-2005 03:48 PM

James Butner > wrote:

>What about the oolongs? Do people ever sweeten them? (or add other stuff)

People do it, although I would consider it bad form personally.

In the mideast, a lot of folks drink black tea with mint, with a huge
amount of sugar added.
--scott

danube 05-08-2005 08:50 PM

> Only "true" milk has
> sufficient casein to bind with the tannin in tea. Cream and non-dairy
> creamers will completely overwhelm the flavor of the tea.

Maybe not quite so. East Friesian tea (mainly Kenian and Assam CTC) takes
cream very well and is very popular there on the shores of the North Sea.
There seems to be something with location: teas just taste different in
the various parts of the world, even if the herb comes from the same
tropical area.

JB

TeaDave 08-08-2005 07:00 AM

perhaps the taste difference is related to the water used to make the
tea

I enjoy wonderful tea from my municipal water supply, as our water is
from mountain streams and melted snow, but I found that my tea did not
taste so well, and had different brewing results when I recently took a
trip to Minnesota.

Also, mineral contents vary all over this planet, so even filtering
water could produce different results in different places.

danube 08-08-2005 07:47 AM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 23:00:26 -0700, TeaDave wrote:

> perhaps the taste difference is related to the water used to make the tea
>
> I enjoy wonderful tea from my municipal water supply, as our water is from
> mountain streams and melted snow, but I found that my tea did not taste so
> well, and had different brewing results when I recently took a trip to
> Minnesota.
>
> Also, mineral contents vary all over this planet, so even filtering water
> could produce different results in different places.

Yes, it's the water, then it's the food and the different sentiment. All
makes tea quite unpredictable and exciting.

JB

Oxymel of Squill 11-08-2005 04:39 PM

unless you're a hippy in which case you slurp vegetarian margarine into tea
in an effort to keep your vibes pure. I've experienced it as Samye Ling!

stePH 01-09-2005 06:19 PM

> There are plenty of British-style teas that are actually Chinese.
> Prince of Wales is secretly a Chinese black tea blend in disguise.

I bought something called "Prince of Wales" at Teavana; it is mostly
black tea but with some green leaves in it. Dry, the green leaves look
a bit like "pinhead" gunpowder. A friend in Australia tells me that
his Prince of Wales contains oolong.

Scott Dorsey 01-09-2005 11:55 PM

stePH > wrote:
>> There are plenty of British-style teas that are actually Chinese.
>> Prince of Wales is secretly a Chinese black tea blend in disguise.

>I bought something called "Prince of Wales" at Teavana; it is mostly
>black tea but with some green leaves in it. Dry, the green leaves look
>a bit like "pinhead" gunpowder. A friend in Australia tells me that
>his Prince of Wales contains oolong.

The traditional Prince of Wales is a blend of various black Chinese
teas. It might be kind of tippy if it's a good one, though.

Oolong in the blend is not traditional, but if it tastes right it
should be okay.
--scott