Pinot

Default Nocino - Help Please

After putting quartered walnuts in alcohol, the concoction got totaly
black after 24 hours. Is it normal ?

Does it have to stay on sun all day, from dawn to dusk ? I have
enough sun on my windowsill up to midday.

I know traditionally green walnuts are picked up on June 24, but I
couldn't get them ad that date, I picked them up on July 18th, but
the June was rainy and without much sun. Will it affect the taste,
will the Nocino be too bitter ?

Thank you.
Gunther Anderson

> After putting quartered walnuts in alcohol, the concoction got totaly
> black after 24 hours. Is it normal ?
>
> Does it have to stay on sun all day, from dawn to dusk ? I have
> enough sun on my windowsill up to midday.
>
> I know traditionally green walnuts are picked up on June 24, but I
> couldn't get them ad that date, I picked them up on July 18th, but
> the June was rainy and without much sun. Will it affect the taste,
> will the Nocino be too bitter ?
>
> Thank you.

You're probably not going to get a response - there are too many recipes
for nocine, and it's unlikely that someone else has precisely the recipe
you're using. I've got walnut recipes on my liqueurs site, but I've
never actually made any of them, so I can't say. My only thought is
that you might have left on the thin inner skin of the nut, which might
be really bitter. But I doubt the nut itself would be. In general,
sunlight in a liqueurs recipe is to warm up the jar and use some of
those high-energy photons to break down chemicals. And dissolve sugar.

So one thing is that there's no such thing as a perfect or correct
liqueur recipe. Every recipe has room for modification, and quantities
and timing are never set in stone. They're guidelines, and if you have
limitations, just do your best. It'll most likely come out OK. And if
it doesn't, it's at least a learning experience...

Good luck,
Gunther Anderson

Pandora

"Pinot" > ha scritto nel messaggio
news
> After putting quartered walnuts in alcohol, the concoction got totaly
> black after 24 hours. Is it normal ?
>
> Does it have to stay on sun all day, from dawn to dusk ? I have
> enough sun on my windowsill up to midday.
>
> I know traditionally green walnuts are picked up on June 24, but I
> couldn't get them ad that date, I picked them up on July 18th, but
> the June was rainy and without much sun. Will it affect the taste,
> will the Nocino be too bitter ?
>
> Thank you.

If you go on It. Hobby giardinaggio, there is a recipe of nocino (perhaps
you find with google). Also try to ask them.
Cheers
pandora

Vilco

Mi e' parso che Pinot abbia scritto:

> After putting quartered walnuts in alcohol, the
> concoction got totaly black after 24 hours. Is it normal ?

Yes.

> Does it have to stay on sun all day, from dawn to dusk ?
> I have enough sun on my windowsill up to midday.

We keep the bowl out in the sun from about midday to dusk, so you
should be fine.

> I know traditionally green walnuts are picked up on June
> 24, but I couldn't get them ad that date, I picked them
> up on July 18th, but the June was rainy and without much
> sun. Will it affect the taste, will the Nocino be too
> bitter ?

Maybe, but you'll have the possibility to work over it when it
will be time to add syrup.
BTW, if you can find some, use "malvasia secca" instead of water
for the sugar syrup, it is a tip from a friend from Parma, and
it's nice.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

PMF

Su Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:31:57 +0200, Vilco scribb... scrivett... scrisse:

> BTW, if you can find some, use "malvasia secca" instead of water for the
> sugar syrup, it is a tip from a friend from Parma, and it's nice.

If you come from Romagna, you can use "Sangiovese" too

Paolo

massimo

Gunther Anderson wrote:

>So one thing is that there's no such thing as a perfect or correct=20
>liqueur recipe. Every recipe has room for modification, and quantities=20
>and timing are never set in stone

these lines should be instead
--=20
ciao!

massimo
Speck

>> After putting quartered walnuts in alcohol, the concoction got totaly
>> black after 24 hours. Is it normal ?

Yes. Beware! The spots are very hard to wash. Also the hands, but I
suppose you already know... ;-))

>> Does it have to stay on sun all day, from dawn to dusk ?

Some say yes, others say no. I do either way without noticing big
differences. I'm not so expert in the extraction chemistry to tell
pros and cons of sun

>>I have enough sun on my windowsill up to midday.

Don't care...

>> I know traditionally green walnuts are picked up on June 24, but I
>> couldn't get them ad that date, I picked them up on July 18th, but
>> the June was rainy and without much sun. Will it affect the taste,
>> will the Nocino be too bitter ?

Probably yes, but this can be managed simply waiting more time before
drinking. And when I say "more time", I mean more than the usual nine
months that are required. I've opened just yesterday a bottle of
Nocino 2004. And, yes!, the taste is *really* smoother and better than
6 months ago.
In your case you'll need a longer "pregnancy", how longer I cannot
say. But don't throw away the bottle before a couple of years...

--
Ciao,
Speck
PMF

Su Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:03:55 +0200, Speck scribb... scrivett... scrisse:

> Probably yes, but this can be managed simply waiting more time before
> drinking. And when I say "more time", I mean more than the usual nine
> months that are required. I've opened just yesterday a bottle of Nocino
> 2004. And, yes!, the taste is *really* smoother and better than 6 months
> ago.
> In your case you'll need a longer "pregnancy", how longer I cannot say.
> But don't throw away the bottle before a couple of years...

Two years? it's a long tiiiiiiiime! I suggest:
- a bottle at christmas, after some long and great lunch...
- a bottle on new year's eve...
- a bottle on Easter 2006, to confirm "at las my nocino is ready!"

Paolo

Speck

PMF >:

>Two years? it's a long tiiiiiiiime! I suggest:
>- a bottle at christmas, after some long and great lunch...
>- a bottle on new year's eve...
>- a bottle on Easter 2006, to confirm "at las my nocino is ready!"

What about the tannin, in case of late harvesting? If it's increasing,
waiting sometimes should get things better. If it's just a matter of
thickness of the nutshell, then... a hatchet instead of a knife :-)

P.S. Cmq, e' proprio vero che piu' sta li' meglio e'... L'ha perfino
apprezzato Marcella, lasciandomi a bocca aperta (sulla bottiglia
precedente, sei mesi fa, aveva storto il naso)