Ted Jones

Default Brook Bond - Taj Mahal Tea

I came across this at the local Indian grocer recently. Have any of you
tried this product? Is it worth a try?

Brent Harsh

Ted Jones wrote:

> I came across this at the local Indian grocer recently. Have any of you
> tried this product? Is it worth a try?

I spent three months in Bangalore over the fall and winter; Brook
Bond is the staple tea we used to make chai (sugar, milk,
cardamom and tea) with. It's not a fine tea by any stretch of
the imagination: it doesn't seem to be tea leaves, but rather
little black granules of tea. For true south Indian chai, the
quality of the tea came in second to the amount of sugar and
milk, it just needs something in there to make it darker.

Brook Bond seemed very popular there (ie, ads and mass marketing,
and tea stands), but if one were going tea shopping for a
connoisseur you'd look for a first-flush or second-flush
Darjeeling or Assam style. Those "real" teas look and taste
completely different. BB seemed to me to be the "Lipton" of India...

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.
Space Cowboy

It is a great example of taste and price point value which only a blend
can give you. I use it as a reality check when I pay too much for tea.
The BB boxes are colorful and create a festive atmosphere for making
tea compared to the ziplocks from the websites.

Jim

Ted Jones wrote:
> I came across this at the local Indian grocer recently. Have any of

you
> tried this product? Is it worth a try?

Rob

Ted Jones wrote:
> I came across this at the local Indian grocer recently. Have any of

you
> tried this product? Is it worth a try?

Yes, it isdefinitely worth trying. I discovered Brooke Bond Taj Mahal
at a local Indian grocer a few months ago. It is not a "gourmet
quality" tea, but it will knock the socks off anything that can be
found in an American supermarket. I have been drinking Brooke Bond PG
Tips, imported from the UK as my "everyday" tea. The Taj Mahal is very
similiar -- almost identical, in fact -- at a fraction of the price.

Aloke Prasad

Now that you are visiting Indian grocery stores, try Lipton's Green Label.
Very affordable pretty good Darjeeling tea...
--
Aloke
----

oups.com...