Default New Orleans "Hand Grenade" recipe?

hello,

does anyone know the recipe for Tropical Isle's trademarked "Hand
Grenade" drink? i am not interested in doing anything commercial with
it, i just dont want to fly to new orleans every time id like one!

i once talked to an ex-employee who said it was everclear, but i dont
remember anything else in it; like whether it was mixed w/ melon liquer
(midori) or just a sugary melon juice.

anyone figure this 21-year-old secret out?

thanks,
matt

Inkeola

http://www.sliceofromance.com/HandGrenade.html
try this one. I can't drink it, way to toxic for me but my partner tried the
1st recipe and said it tasted just like the one he had in New O.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> hello,
>
> does anyone know the recipe for Tropical Isle's trademarked "Hand
> Grenade" drink? i am not interested in doing anything commercial with
> it, i just dont want to fly to new orleans every time id like one!
>
> i once talked to an ex-employee who said it was everclear, but i dont
> remember anything else in it; like whether it was mixed w/ melon liquer
> (midori) or just a sugary melon juice.
>
> anyone figure this 21-year-old secret out?
>

> thanks,
> matt

thanks. i had found one of them online, but it wasnt certain if that
was it. btw, in case that site goes down, they have two recipes listed:

VERSION 1
---------
Cocktail glass
Amaretto
2 shots Melon liqueur
2 shots Everclear (190 proof)
Pineapple juice

Begin by filling the glass halfway with Amaretto,
add shots of melon, add shots of everclear,
add rest of glass with pineapple juice, stir,
then pour into glass with ice.

VERSION 2
---------
Highball Glass
1 Part - Gin
1 Part - Grain Alcohol (everclear)
1 Part - Melon liqueur (midori)
1 Part - Rum (clear i would imagine)
1 Part - Vodka

Mix all ingredients together and add water and ice as necessary for
desired taste. Sugar can also be added for taste.

....the second one is a little vague tho, on the mixing for taste. i
guess the only way to know is by trial and error. im going to NOLA
later in the month, when i come back i can try to figure out how much
water/sugar/ice is needed for the proper flavor.

note: id guess that sugar syrup would work better than plain sugar.
this stock syrup is easy to make and called for in many cocktails. to
make it, boil 1 cup of granulated sugar in 2 cups of water for ~5 mins
or dissolved. cool, bottle and refridgerate.

Hi,

I was in New Orleans in 2001 and would love to sample the Hand Grenade
again, by far the best drink I think I've ever had. Four of those
babies and I was bombed.

Anyway back home in Scotland now so I can't even order the "mix your
own" syrup from the website so just wondered if you'd tried this recipe
and perhaps fine tuned it at all?

Would be a hit at the next party!

Member

[QUOTECan somebody please tell me how to properly make either the hand grenade drink from tropical isle or the turtle drink from turtle bay since both are the same? I am not trying to do anything commercial with it nor am I trying to spread it on the internet. I am trying to find it to enjoy this drink in the privacy of my own home and until I get it I will continue to post on a daily basis what I know all over the internet. I will be more than happy with either version, the one using the grenade mix (it is this commercial mix that holds the trademark which tropical isle uses) or the original hand grenade mix version (which turtle bay (operated by ex-tropical isle employees)is using and is not trademarked by tropical isle because the trademark was moved to their commercial mix however, both are the same thing). Please if you can help send recipe to handgrenaderecipe at yahoo. I would prefer it not be posted that way I can see and get it before or just in case it gets deleted from a posting reply. Please feel free to create a fake email to send recipe, although you do have my word ALL information will remain anonymous and private

Drink Info

1- I know when they are really busy they (tropical isle) make it in a jug and sell it out of a window. On a website it said when they make it (they double this recipe to make more) they use 1 gallon of their grenade mix, I believe 5 cups of water,3 liters vodka, 3 liters (not sure but think triple sec ,(brand finest call). This is the ingredient I need help with), 2 liters everclear, The water can be adjusted to taste

2- For full strength drink they add an additional 2.5-3oz (thinking 3oz) of liquor prior to dispensing drink THIS IS NOT DONE ON WEEKENDS

3- The additional 2.5-3oz added contains rum (rum and everclear mix) this could possibly have simple syrup added to it (tropical itch alcohol mix)

4- Weekend version has 4 oz of alcohol and is a mixture of vodka, everclear, and Believe triple sec (finest call)

5- Tropical isles Grenade mix is a mixture of pineapple juice (kind dispensed from bars in bag in box) melon flavoring (assuming honey dew melon snow ball syrup) and some kind of lime (possibly lime snow ball syrup as well) original recipe (the one used by turtle bay) is probably made the same except instead of lime syrup they might use lime crystals (lasco, ready rabbit, etc…) not sure. Although they could use lime syrup and maybe even use a daiquiri base mix. All syrup mixes come from national fruit flavor company (above listed syrups can be found on the national fruit flavor website as well) (national fruit flavor does not sell to individuals but you can buy through their distributors)

6- to make their shark attack drink is 3 full 1 oz shot galss (they pour generous) so its about 3.5 oz vodka, 1 oz sour mix, 1 oz lemon lime soda, and 1 oz grenadine