bungernut

Default Are there any experienced brandy drinkers out there?

I have not been able to locate much as far as a group that shares there
experience with Brandy (the alcholic drink). I am in need of such a
group since I am supporting my habit on a college budget. I have had
the following already (with personal ranks)
Cerbois VSOP 3/5
Armagnac de Montel VSOP 3.5/5
IMOYA VSOP 5/5 (very well balanced) (~40$)
Chateau de Briat 4/5 (the least sweet, very oaky)
Courvoisier VSOP 2.5/5 (a rip off for the $)
I hope to also help some of those less experienced get their habit
rolling .
Tip 1) You must drink a good brandy in a brandy sniffer warmed by the
palm of your hand without mixing or diluting it! Drink little sips,
while slightly inhaling the vapors with you nose, allowing the brandy
to slowly trickle through your mouth. If you become overwhelmed by the
alcohol then you did it wrong! It should be very smooth and flavorful.
Tip 2) A good brandy WILL cost more than 30$ a bottle (it comes to
something like 2.50 a glass, a little more than a beer but it is worth
it to me). Don't drink Christian Brothers, E&J, or other cheap brandys
and expect it to be similar; they are outright nasty!

I was trekfan666

I don't care much for Courvoisier either. I do like Remy Martin and Hennessy
though. What do you think of them?
I was trekfan666

I don't care much for Courvoisier either. I do like Remy Martin and Hennessy
though. What do you think of them?
bungernut

I have had Hennessy VSOP, a supposed congac, and it was alright for a
first taste (the first brandy I have ever had). It has a very perculir
flavor in my opinion, and the more brandy I have had the less I like
it, I can't even stand the smell of it anymore. Reacently upon getting
my scholarships I have purchased an XO ($80), I forget the brand name
but it is an Grand Champagne and let me tell you it is tasty. I was
told that the XO was a big difference in taste, I don't know how true
that is yet. The bottle has only been open once so it has some time to
grow on me. It seems every time I have a glass I find something new in
every bottle that I haddent noticed before. The joys of brandy!