Default chilling soda water?

Anyone have any ways of chilling soda water once it's gone through the
carbonator and before it gets dispensed out of a soda gun?

I'm thinking about perhaps trying one of those office water cooler
units. Most of them have a stainless steel or plastic resivior for the
water so there won't be any copper or brass that will touch the soda
water.

I was also thinking of a small fridge with a 20 foot coil of SS
tubing in it or even putting the carbonator tank into the mini fridge.
Any thoughts?

thanks all!
Mike B

Richard J Kinch

Brett Hetherington writes:

> Your best bet would probably be the small fridge, although you'll want
> to immerse the coil in a bucket of water, since the cold air in the
> fridge does not contain enough mass to cool much more than the first
> few squirts.

Nope. Flash chilling requires a reservoir of phase-change heat sink:
melting ice, boiling refrigerant. Thermal mass (heat exchanger in contact
with air or water) will not flash chill.
Brett Hetherington

It'll work as long as the OP doesn't expect to put too much volume through
it.
I was not thinking of flash cooling. I assumed that the coil would be of
some length, say 25 feet, plenty of time to cool a reasonable amount of
soda water. A 5 gallon bucket of refrigerated water represents a heat sink
to be reckoned with, given enough surface area.
Of course, the best method for the op would be to invest in soda kegs and a
refrigerator so he could batch carbonate. I have a commercial carbonator,
and realized quickly that it was serious overkill. But trying to tell a man
with a mission he's on the wrong track is like ****ing on a house fire...

-Brett

Richard J Kinch > drunkenly bellowed in
:

--
"They who drink beer will think beer."
-Washington Irving

Brett Hetherington

It'll work as long as the OP doesn't expect to put too much volume through
it.
I was not thinking of flash cooling. I assumed that the coil would be of
some length, say 25 feet, plenty of time to cool a reasonable amount of
soda water. A 5 gallon bucket of refrigerated water represents a heat sink
to be reckoned with, given enough surface area.
Of course, the best method for the op would be to invest in soda kegs and a
refrigerator so he could batch carbonate. I have a commercial carbonator,
and realized quickly that it was serious overkill. But trying to tell a man
with a mission he's on the wrong track is like ****ing on a house fire...

-Brett

Richard J Kinch > drunkenly bellowed in
:

> Nope. Flash chilling requires a reservoir of phase-change heat sink:
> melting ice, boiling refrigerant. Thermal mass (heat exchanger in
> contact with air or water) will not flash chill.

--
"They who drink beer will think beer."
-Washington Irving
Richard J Kinch

Brett Hetherington writes:

> It'll work as long as the OP doesn't expect to put too much volume
> through it.

"Too much", unfortunately, is less than even a single serving.

> A 5 gallon bucket of refrigerated water represents a heat sink
> to be reckoned with, given enough surface area.

No, because it's temperature rises, as does the output, as it is used.

You need a phase-change source to have controlled output temperatures.
Every commercial beverage chiller works on this principle.

Thermal-mass chilling is inefficient and costly per unit of delivery.
Richard J Kinch