FoodBanter.com

-   General (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/)
-   -   Origin of baked beans (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/45622-origin-baked-beans.html)

Matt Probert 25-11-2004 08:12 PM

Origin of baked beans

Keeping it short. Did Heinz invent baked beans, or did he package and
market an existing American dish?

Yes, I have asked Heinz, Heinz UK don't know and I am awaiting
(without much hope) on a reply from Heinz USA.

Matt

--
If your encyclopaedia doesn't list "widget glass", you're reading the wrong encyclopaedia.
The Probert Encyclopaedia. Its not the same.

Blair P. Houghton 25-11-2004 10:17 PM

Matt Probert > wrote:
>Keeping it short. Did Heinz invent baked beans, or did he package and
>market an existing American dish?
>
>Yes, I have asked Heinz, Heinz UK don't know and I am awaiting
>(without much hope) on a reply from Heinz USA.

Americans have been baking beans for far longer than Heinz
has been in business.

And Americans probably got it from Europeans.

--Blair
"And they're crap for food."

Matt Probert 26-11-2004 09:51 AM

Once upon a time, far far away, the king summoned Blair P. Houghton
> who replied:

>Matt Probert > wrote:
>>Keeping it short. Did Heinz invent baked beans, or did he package and
>>market an existing American dish?
>>
>>Yes, I have asked Heinz, Heinz UK don't know and I am awaiting
>>(without much hope) on a reply from Heinz USA.

>Americans have been baking beans for far longer than Heinz
>has been in business.

That's what I thought, now the trouble is finding evidence, for which
I mean contemporary written accounts. Do you know how rare 19th
century American recipe books are in the UK ???

>And Americans probably got it from Europeans.

There are two schools of suggestion here, one is that it is of Italian
origin, and one that it is of "native American" origin, though no one
suggests which particular native American people, that said New
England and Boston in particular claim to have a heritage of baked
beans.

Matt

Matt Probert 26-11-2004 09:51 AM

Gunther Anderson 26-11-2004 02:43 PM

Matt Probert wrote:

> There are two schools of suggestion here, one is that it is of Italian
> origin, and one that it is of "native American" origin, though no one
> suggests which particular native American people, that said New
> England and Boston in particular claim to have a heritage of baked
> beans.

Does Durgin Park have a web site? That's a 200-odd-year-old restaurant
in Boston's Faneuil Hall marketplace which makes quite a point of
marketing their Boston baked beans. They probably know something of the
history of the dish.

What we know now of baked beans probably came from a few different
places. Indians would definitely have had lots of experience making
beans in a variety of ways (beans were definitely a mainstay of Indian
agriculture), but the pork and molasses would have been totaly
unavailable. Boston was a hub of molasses traffic, being a corner of
the trade triangle funneling rum and molasses out of the West Indies,
and African slaves back in.

So I'd guess (without a shred of scholarship) that modern baked beans
are an evolved recipe from the Indians through the New England colonists
and onto your table. Or between Ann Margaret's thighs if you prefer...

Gunther Anderson

p.s. And let us not forget the Great Molasses Flood...

p.p.s. But why is this in rec.food.drink? Baked bean daiquiris?

Blair P. Houghton 27-11-2004 06:47 AM

Matt Probert > wrote:
>That's what I thought, now the trouble is finding evidence, for which
>I mean contemporary written accounts. Do you know how rare 19th
>century American recipe books are in the UK ???

Well, since baked beans aren't my beverage of choice, I'd
recommend asking the same questions over on rec.food.cooking.

I know of at least two people there who probably have a UK edition
of a 19th century American book on cooking.

--Blair
"I'll have what he's having."

Matt Probert 27-11-2004 09:47 AM

Once upon a time, far far away, the king summoned Gunther Anderson
> who replied:

>p.p.s. But why is this in rec.food.drink? Baked bean daiquiris?

Well, it is "food", I didn't realise this was a strictly "drink" group
?

My apologies.

Matt

--
The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

amador 03-12-2004 10:14 AM

http://www.ardice.com/Arts/Music/His...ntury_American

amador 03-12-2004 10:14 AM