Member

Location: Seattle
Question The Puzzle over Pisco

On a few TV documentaries I heard of pisco, a liquor made in Peru from distilling wine, grains, and various fruits. They even showed interviews with some of the producers of pisco. Today I googled pisco and went over a few dozen sources on the subject. But they all say Pisco is a brandy made from specific grapes brought in by the Spanish colonists. None mention a mixture of grain and other fruits. Now I'm confused. How can I tell which source is reliable?
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togarashio View Post
On a few TV documentaries I heard of pisco, a liquor made in Peru from distilling wine, grains, and various fruits. They even showed interviews with some of the producers of pisco. Today I googled pisco and went over a few dozen sources on the subject. But they all say Pisco is a brandy made from specific grapes brought in by the Spanish colonists. None mention a mixture of grain and other fruits. Now I'm confused. How can I tell which source is reliable?
Well had never heard of the stuff previously so had to go to some research. It appears to be a straight grape brandy. Did not find any mention of grain or other fruits involved. There seems to be rather stringent rules for what the ingredient list should contain, how it should be distilled and aged etc. Unless you are prepared to raise the correct variety of grapes you may be out of luck on being authentic. Making wine out of grape juice and distilling it into Brandy is a fairly straight forward proposition. Guess a person could call it Pisco if they wanted. Sort of a catchy name huh?