Anonymous

Default Drink Recommendation for First Time Social Drinker

I was raised in a conservative community where drinking was frowned
upon. I still am very phobic about drinking and intoxication, having
never been drunk or even tipsy in my life. I have many control
issues, and I am discussing them with many qualified therapists.

Recently I accepted a prestigious position which is a huge career
opportunity. The only down side is that the corporate culture is one
where social drinking is encouraged. I don't want to stand out as a
"non-drinker" or otherwise draw negative attention to myself.
Therefore, I am looking for a drink recommendation that I can order in
social gatherings. I'm looking for a drink with most of the following
qualities:

1. All bartenders would know it.
2. One or two isn't at all intoxicating or even tipsying.
3. Casual listeners aren't exactly sure what exactly is in it.
4. Tastes good to someone not used to drinking.
5. Not beer.
6. Not particularly effeminate.
7. Can be a "signature drink" someone always orders during social
drinking.
Roman S.

Rum & Coke

Roman S.

>Rum & Coke

Cuba Libra

Roman S.

>Rum & Coke

Cuba Libra

Matt Probert

On 16 Aug 2004 02:59:45 -0700 (Anonymous)
broke off from drinking a cup of tea at
http://groups.google.com to
write:

>I was raised in a conservative community where drinking was frowned
>upon. I still am very phobic about drinking and intoxication, having
>never been drunk or even tipsy in my life. I have many control
>issues, and I am discussing them with many qualified therapists.
>
>Recently I accepted a prestigious position which is a huge career
>opportunity. The only down side is that the corporate culture is one
>where social drinking is encouraged. I don't want to stand out as a
>"non-drinker" or otherwise draw negative attention to myself.
>Therefore, I am looking for a drink recommendation that I can order in
>social gatherings. I'm looking for a drink with most of the following
>qualities:
>
>1. All bartenders would know it.
>2. One or two isn't at all intoxicating or even tipsying.
>3. Casual listeners aren't exactly sure what exactly is in it.
>4. Tastes good to someone not used to drinking.
>5. Not beer.
>6. Not particularly effeminate.
>7. Can be a "signature drink" someone always orders during social
>drinking.

Saint Clemens

Non-alcoholic, suave and sophisticated, and not everyone knows what it
is.

Matt

--
If your encyclopaedia doesn't list "widget glass", you're reading the wrong encyclopaedia.
The Probert Encyclopaedia. Its not the same.

DrinkBoy

(Anonymous) wrote in message . com>...
-----------------------------------
> ...I don't want to stand out as a "non-drinker" or otherwise draw
> negative attention to myself...
> 2. One or two isn't at all intoxicating or even tipsying....

-----------------------------------

First off, there should never, -ever-, be anything wrong with somebody
who doesn't want to drink. I'm a drinker, and well known for it. When
I hang out with folks from work, drinking is "expected"... but there
are also some folks in our group who, for various reasons, choose not
to drink. We totally accept and respect that, and if nothing else we
are glad to know that -somebody- will be safe to drive if things go
too far. You might "think" that since everybody around you is drinking
that it is expected of you as well, but chances are most folks
wouldn't even notice it, or if they did, they would see nothing wrong
with it.

Secondly... A glass of wine, a glass of beer, and a (regular sized)
cocktail "essentially" all have the same amount of alcohol in them,
and therefore affect you the same amount (ok, so these days with
various drinks coming in "big gulp" sizes this may not always be a
safe bet... but you get the idea). Wine has less alcohol then a
cocktail, which is why wine glasses are bigger then cocktail
glasses... and beer has less alcohol then wine, which is why beer
glasses are bigger then wine glasses...

A "rum & coke" (or cube libre... which is slightly different) should
have just as much alcohol in it as a screwdriver, gin & tonic,
margarita, cosmopolitan...

Frankly, I'd recommend ordering simply a "Ginger Ale", or whatever
other drink you really want to drink, and have fun with it.

However... if you really do want an alcoholic drink that shouldn't be
too severe, and "should" be able to be ordered at most (decent)
places, and could even be seen as slightly different (and therefore a
noteable "signature" drink), would be a "Pimm's Cup". This is made
with "Pimms No.1" and either Ginger Ale or 7up. Pimm's is only 25%
alcohol (while most spirits are 40%), and most bartenders will use
just 2 ounces of it (or less) per drink, thus making it about half the
strength of a normal drink.

....and if you order this someplace where they don't have it, you can
just roll your eye's, act as if nothing else will do, sigh noticeably
and then say... "oh, just give me a ginger ale then"...

-Robert Hess
www.DrinkBoy.com
Roman S.

>Rum & Coke

Cuba Libre

Seymour Dupa

Along those lines, most liqures are 21-25% alcohol.
I like the taste of Ameretto. When I'm out, I order Ameretto
and coke in a tall glass (more coke that way). When I'm home,
I drink it straight.

Find a liquer you like the taste of, then have it mixed with something.
If the drink starts 'hitting' you after drinking half of it,

John

DrinkBoy wrote:
<snip>
> Pimm's is only 25%
> alcohol (while most spirits are 40%), and most bartenders will use
> just 2 ounces of it (or less) per drink, thus making it about half the
> strength of a normal drink.
>
> ...and if you order this someplace where they don't have it, you can
> just roll your eye's, act as if nothing else will do, sigh noticeably
> and then say... "oh, just give me a ginger ale then"...
>
> -Robert Hess
> www.DrinkBoy.com

http://www.usenet.com
Seymour Dupa

Along those lines, most liqures are 21-25% alcohol.
I like the taste of Ameretto. When I'm out, I order Ameretto
and coke in a tall glass (more coke that way). When I'm home,
I drink it straight.

Find a liquer you like the taste of, then have it mixed with something.
If the drink starts 'hitting' you after drinking half of it,

John

DrinkBoy wrote:
<snip>
> Pimm's is only 25%
> alcohol (while most spirits are 40%), and most bartenders will use
> just 2 ounces of it (or less) per drink, thus making it about half the
> strength of a normal drink.
>
> ...and if you order this someplace where they don't have it, you can
> just roll your eye's, act as if nothing else will do, sigh noticeably
> and then say... "oh, just give me a ginger ale then"...
>
> -Robert Hess
> www.DrinkBoy.com

http://www.usenet.com
Jay

> A "rum & coke" (or cube libre... which is slightly different) should
> have just as much alcohol in it as a screwdriver, gin & tonic,
> margarita, cosmopolitan...

A Cuba Libre (KOO-bah LEE-bray) is that same thing as a Rum & Coke but with
Lime.

Jay
Tequila Stuff
http://www.tequila-stuff.com

Jay

> A "rum & coke" (or cube libre... which is slightly different) should
> have just as much alcohol in it as a screwdriver, gin & tonic,
> margarita, cosmopolitan...

A Cuba Libre (KOO-bah LEE-bray) is that same thing as a Rum & Coke but with
Lime.

Jay
Tequila Stuff
http://www.tequila-stuff.com

Jay

> A "rum & coke" (or cube libre... which is slightly different) should
> have just as much alcohol in it as a screwdriver, gin & tonic,
> margarita, cosmopolitan...

A Cuba Libre (KOO-bah LEE-bray) is that same thing as a Rum & Coke but with
Lime.

Jay
Tequila Stuff
http://www.tequila-stuff.com

David Sewell

Speaking as someone who HAS to drink even without the financial security to
support a drinking "habit" I think wouldn't it be great if we could all just
sit around drinking tea!!??
Damn peer groups in old age, whatever next.;-))
David

"Anonymous" > wrote in message
om...
> I was raised in a conservative community where drinking was frowned
> upon. I still am very phobic about drinking and intoxication, having
> never been drunk or even tipsy in my life. I have many control
> issues, and I am discussing them with many qualified therapists.
>
> Recently I accepted a prestigious position which is a huge career
> opportunity. The only down side is that the corporate culture is one
> where social drinking is encouraged. I don't want to stand out as a
> "non-drinker" or otherwise draw negative attention to myself.
> Therefore, I am looking for a drink recommendation that I can order in
> social gatherings. I'm looking for a drink with most of the following
> qualities:
>
> 1. All bartenders would know it.
> 2. One or two isn't at all intoxicating or even tipsying.
> 3. Casual listeners aren't exactly sure what exactly is in it.
> 4. Tastes good to someone not used to drinking.
> 5. Not beer.
> 6. Not particularly effeminate.
> 7. Can be a "signature drink" someone always orders during social
> drinking.

David Sewell

Speaking as someone who HAS to drink even without the financial security to
support a drinking "habit" I think wouldn't it be great if we could all just
sit around drinking tea!!??
Damn peer groups in old age, whatever next.;-))
David

"Anonymous" > wrote in message
om...
> I was raised in a conservative community where drinking was frowned
> upon. I still am very phobic about drinking and intoxication, having
> never been drunk or even tipsy in my life. I have many control
> issues, and I am discussing them with many qualified therapists.
>
> Recently I accepted a prestigious position which is a huge career
> opportunity. The only down side is that the corporate culture is one
> where social drinking is encouraged. I don't want to stand out as a
> "non-drinker" or otherwise draw negative attention to myself.
> Therefore, I am looking for a drink recommendation that I can order in
> social gatherings. I'm looking for a drink with most of the following
> qualities:
>
> 1. All bartenders would know it.
> 2. One or two isn't at all intoxicating or even tipsying.
> 3. Casual listeners aren't exactly sure what exactly is in it.
> 4. Tastes good to someone not used to drinking.
> 5. Not beer.
> 6. Not particularly effeminate.
> 7. Can be a "signature drink" someone always orders during social
> drinking.

David Sewell

Guinness export

"Anonymous" > wrote in message
om...
> I was raised in a conservative community where drinking was frowned
> upon. I still am very phobic about drinking and intoxication, having
> never been drunk or even tipsy in my life. I have many control
> issues, and I am discussing them with many qualified therapists.
>
> Recently I accepted a prestigious position which is a huge career
> opportunity. The only down side is that the corporate culture is one
> where social drinking is encouraged. I don't want to stand out as a
> "non-drinker" or otherwise draw negative attention to myself.
> Therefore, I am looking for a drink recommendation that I can order in
> social gatherings. I'm looking for a drink with most of the following
> qualities:
>
> 1. All bartenders would know it.
> 2. One or two isn't at all intoxicating or even tipsying.
> 3. Casual listeners aren't exactly sure what exactly is in it.
> 4. Tastes good to someone not used to drinking.
> 5. Not beer.
> 6. Not particularly effeminate.
> 7. Can be a "signature drink" someone always orders during social
> drinking.

David Sewell

Guinness export

"Anonymous" > wrote in message
om...
> I was raised in a conservative community where drinking was frowned
> upon. I still am very phobic about drinking and intoxication, having
> never been drunk or even tipsy in my life. I have many control
> issues, and I am discussing them with many qualified therapists.
>
> Recently I accepted a prestigious position which is a huge career
> opportunity. The only down side is that the corporate culture is one
> where social drinking is encouraged. I don't want to stand out as a
> "non-drinker" or otherwise draw negative attention to myself.
> Therefore, I am looking for a drink recommendation that I can order in
> social gatherings. I'm looking for a drink with most of the following
> qualities:
>
> 1. All bartenders would know it.
> 2. One or two isn't at all intoxicating or even tipsying.
> 3. Casual listeners aren't exactly sure what exactly is in it.
> 4. Tastes good to someone not used to drinking.
> 5. Not beer.
> 6. Not particularly effeminate.
> 7. Can be a "signature drink" someone always orders during social
> drinking.

Matt Probert

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:31:40 +0100 "David Sewell"
> broke off from drinking a cup of tea at
to write:

>Speaking as someone who HAS to drink even without the financial security to
>support a drinking "habit" I think wouldn't it be great if we could all just
>sit around drinking tea!!??

Now there's a thought. And such are the varieties of blended and
straight teas.

Currently I have been seduced by Sainsbury's Gold Label - they had it
on offer and I made the mistake of trying it. It's only teabags, so
nothing special, but after trying it their red label tea tastes (?)
like dishwater.

Matt

--
If your encyclopaedia doesn't list "widget glass", you're reading the wrong encyclopaedia.
The Probert Encyclopaedia. Its not the same.
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com
Matt Probert

In rec.food.drink Anonymous > wrote:
: I was raised in a conservative community where drinking was frowned
: upon. I still am very phobic about drinking and intoxication, having
: never been drunk or even tipsy in my life. I have many control
: issues, and I am discussing them with many qualified therapists.

: Recently I accepted a prestigious position which is a huge career
: opportunity. The only down side is that the corporate culture is one
: where social drinking is encouraged. I don't want to stand out as a
: "non-drinker" or otherwise draw negative attention to myself.
: Therefore, I am looking for a drink recommendation that I can order in
: social gatherings. I'm looking for a drink with most of the following
: qualities:

I agree with Robert in that you do not "have to drink" anything alcoholic
if you do not want to simply for appearance's sake.

I drink alcoholic beverages and there are times where I simply say "no"
to any type of beverage because that is what I wish. Typically, if I
am at lunch or if I have to be awake for a long time and don't want
to feel drowsy from it. Even one beer will make me drowsy but not
intoxicated in some instances and there are times where I don't want
to deal with that overhead. There are times when drinking anything
alcoholic doesn't appear attractive to me. Another instance would be when
I'm with my child. I just don't need it nor want it.

Do what you wish but don't drink simply because someone else may want
you to is my opinion.

barry

Anonymous wrote in message ...
>I was raised in a conservative community where drinking was frowned
>upon. I still am very phobic about drinking and intoxication, having
>never been drunk or even tipsy in my life. I have many control
>issues, and I am discussing them with many qualified therapists.
>
>Recently I accepted a prestigious position which is a huge career
>opportunity. The only down side is that the corporate culture is one
>where social drinking is encouraged. I don't want to stand out as a
>"non-drinker" or otherwise draw negative attention to myself.
>Therefore, I am looking for a drink recommendation that I can order in
>social gatherings. I'm looking for a drink with most of the following
>qualities:
>
>1. All bartenders would know it.
>2. One or two isn't at all intoxicating or even tipsying.
>3. Casual listeners aren't exactly sure what exactly is in it.
>4. Tastes good to someone not used to drinking.
>5. Not beer.
>6. Not particularly effeminate.
>7. Can be a "signature drink" someone always orders during social
>drinking.

Something with Angostura Bitters, eg
Bitters, lime & Lemonade
Bitters & tonic
Bitters, lime & soda

All almost non-alcoholic as there is only a very small amount of the bitters
used (often just enough to coat the sides of the glass as the bartender
rolls it around, finishing with the glass upside down.

I know people who count themselves as teetotallers who have no problem with
these.

Anonymous wrote in message ...
>I was raised in a conservative community where drinking was frowned
>upon. I still am very phobic about drinking and intoxication, having
>never been drunk or even tipsy in my life. I have many control
>issues, and I am discussing them with many qualified therapists.
>
>Recently I accepted a prestigious position which is a huge career
>opportunity. The only down side is that the corporate culture is one
>where social drinking is encouraged. I don't want to stand out as a
>"non-drinker" or otherwise draw negative attention to myself.
>Therefore, I am looking for a drink recommendation that I can order in
>social gatherings. I'm looking for a drink with most of the following
>qualities:
>
>1. All bartenders would know it.
>2. One or two isn't at all intoxicating or even tipsying.
>3. Casual listeners aren't exactly sure what exactly is in it.
>4. Tastes good to someone not used to drinking.
>5. Not beer.
>6. Not particularly effeminate.
>7. Can be a "signature drink" someone always orders during social
>drinking.

Something with Angostura Bitters, eg
Bitters, lime & Lemonade
Bitters & tonic
Bitters, lime & soda

All almost non-alcoholic as there is only a very small amount of the bitters
used (often just enough to coat the sides of the glass as the bartender
rolls it around, finishing with the glass upside down.

I know people who count themselves as teetotallers who have no problem with
these.

Mort

"a" > wrote in message

> Anonymous wrote in message ...
> >I was raised in a conservative community where drinking was frowned
> >upon. I still am very phobic about drinking and intoxication, having
> >never been drunk or even tipsy in my life. I have many control
> >issues, and I am discussing them with many qualified therapists.
> >
> >Recently I accepted a prestigious position which is a huge career
> >opportunity. The only down side is that the corporate culture is one
> >where social drinking is encouraged. I don't want to stand out as a
> >"non-drinker" or otherwise draw negative attention to myself.
> >Therefore, I am looking for a drink recommendation that I can order in
> >social gatherings. I'm looking for a drink with most of the following
> >qualities:
> >
> >1. All bartenders would know it.
> >2. One or two isn't at all intoxicating or even tipsying.
> >3. Casual listeners aren't exactly sure what exactly is in it.
> >4. Tastes good to someone not used to drinking.
> >5. Not beer.
> >6. Not particularly effeminate.
> >7. Can be a "signature drink" someone always orders during social
> >drinking.

I cant recommend a good drink for you but, one thing I can suggest is a
vitamin B supliment can "minimize" the effects of alcohol if taken before
"an evening out".

I'm not sure what industry you are in but I am in a similar situation and
most "clients", customers/ people you want to impress, will sniff you out if
you order a whimpy drink. (even if they dont say anything)

Running with the big dogs takes some practice but if you are single, you got
nothin to lose so get used to being drunk! Who knows, ya might have some
fun!

hth

~Mort