iggy17ren

Default Neutral Spirit

What is meant by "Neutral" Spirit, is that just like aVodka or something?

What differentiates a neutral spirit from a whisky?

Iggy

Mike

"iggy17ren" > wrote in message
> What is meant by "Neutral" Spirit, is that just like aVodka or something?
>
> What differentiates a neutral spirit from a whisky?
>
> Iggy

The difference between a neutral spirit and something like whisky is that a
neutral spirit is meant to be "neutral" - flavourless apart from the taste
of alcohol. In that sense, it's quite similar to vodka. (Though I'm sure a
vodka fan wouldn't appreciate that characterization...) Neutral spirits tend
to be high proof and can be used in making various spirits.

Here's a handy link: http://homedistiller.org/spirits.htm

cheers,
Mike

Blair P. Houghton

Mike > wrote:
>"iggy17ren" > wrote in message
>> What is meant by "Neutral" Spirit, is that just like aVodka or something?
>>
>> What differentiates a neutral spirit from a whisky?

>The difference between a neutral spirit and something like whisky is that a
>neutral spirit is meant to be "neutral" - flavourless apart from the taste
>of alcohol. In that sense, it's quite similar to vodka. (Though I'm sure a
>vodka fan wouldn't appreciate that characterization...)

(Not to insult your intelligence or anything, but it's worth
mentioning that)

Plain Vodka is made by diluting high-proof neutral spirits
with water.

Whether it's purified or tap or spring or glacier or whatever
kind of water makes the major difference in flavor of "unflavored"
vodkas.

Additives like juniper and citrus make flavored vodkas.

I suppose if the neutral spirits start out at a proof that
could be used as a drink you could just call it vodka.

>Neutral spirits tend
>to be high proof and can be used in making various spirits.
>
>Here's a handy link: http://homedistiller.org/spirits.htm

Yup.

--Blair
"Neat. Glass of ice on the side."
Mike

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> Mike > wrote:
> (Not to insult your intelligence or anything, but it's worth
> mentioning that)
>
> Plain Vodka is made by diluting high-proof neutral spirits
> with water.

Hey, I don't feel insulted - I didn't know that!

cheers,
Mike

DrinkBoy

Blair P. Houghton > wrote in message >. ..

> Plain Vodka is made by diluting high-proof neutral spirits
> with water.

And a little more information for anybody interested:

http://www.drinkboy.com/Essays/DistilledWater.html

-Robert