Old 14-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Johnners

Default Wine refigerator

The simple answer is no! Even on its lowest setting a fridge is going to be
too cold.
There are wine cabinets holding small numbers on the market for 300 ish I
would have thought
(but..are you SURE you only want to hold 70??!!)

there's a good article on choosing the type of unit on decanter's website -
see this archive piece
(you'll need to register to read it)

http://www.decanter.com/archive/47859.html

if price is important the units by fridge manufacturers (liebherr, miele)
are cheaper than Eurocave et al.

Johnners

"Den" wrote in message
Hi Group

Southern Calif here!

We're thinking of buy a wine refrigerator to hold about 70 bottles of wine
in our house.

We'll be using it for wine that will be drunk over the course of (say) a
year. I.e. this wine refrigerator won't be used for long term storage of
good wine, rather as a store for the everyday stuff, and a storage

location
for the good stuff that comes out of long term storage climate controlled
storage.

All of the wine 'fridges that we've seen seem to be exceptionally highly
priced (understandable given the market!), and have so many whizz-bang
features that we just don't need, and so (particularly as we're not too
worried about the aesthetics of the 'fridge.) I was wondering about the
practicality of using an ordinary domestic refrigerator set on its warmest
setting.

Has anyone any experience of this / thoughts on the matter?

Are we likely to have issues with humidity?

Cheers

Den

Old 14-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Chris Sprague

Regarding refrigerators, I don't know all of the details, but I know that a
lot of my fellow homebrewers simply replace the thermostats in their beer
refrigerators in order to allow for higher temperatures. This is a common
practice among homebrewers in southern states who try to make ale in the
summer, where the fermentation temperature has to hover at a constant 60-65
degrees or so.

Might be worth looking into? I see two such items for sale at the bottom of
this page:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/chilling-etc.html

Standard disclaimer, I'm not affiliated, just an occasional customer.

-Chris

Wine refigerator Max Hauser Wine 1 16-03-2004 03:05 AM
Wine refigerator Max Hauser General 1 16-03-2004 03:05 AM
Wine refigerator Den Wine 0 16-03-2004 02:17 AM
Wine refigerator CabFan Wine 1 14-03-2004 03:03 PM
Wine refigerator BallroomDancer General 0 14-03-2004 01:35 PM